Armour equipment and turrets

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
mr_rieper7
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Armour equipment and turrets

Post by mr_rieper7 »

I love the idea of turrets, any game with turrets I'm there .. hiding nasty surprises around corners and making impenetrable fortresses as applicable.

I'm not much of a modder, I can change some stats and other basic things ( I have modded most of ths C&C series games and a few others here and there)

So my question is;
Would it be possible or how difficult would it be to implement armor equipment slots on turrets?

I have visions of machinegun turrets wrapped in force fields standing fast against waves of slavering alien hordes in a sattelite base,
while a lone laser turret running on a portable fusion reactor and extra batteries blunts an alien wave as power is desperately being restored to it's brothers after a raid destroyed a crucial power line.

stellatedHex
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Armour equipment and turrets

Post by stellatedHex »

My guess is that it would not be super difficult. The easiest way, I think, would be to add an inventory slot for armor onto the turret, so that when you put power armor into the turret the turret gets the benefits of all the equipment. It might even be pretty easy to just add an actual armor slot for the turret, so that the game already knows what to do with it! You'd still probably need to tell the turret that it can access the armor's power supply, though.

(PS: thanks for the terrifying and hilarious mental image of a giant turret running around on spindly exoskeleton legs)
stellatedHexahedron wrote:I'm the kind of person who makes Conway's Game of Life in Factorio, but forgets what they are doing halfway through typing their username.

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

stellatedHex wrote:My guess is that it would not be super difficult. The easiest way, I think, would be to add an inventory slot for armor onto the turret, so that when you put power armor into the turret the turret gets the benefits of all the equipment. It might even be pretty easy to just add an actual armor slot for the turret, so that the game already knows what to do with it! You'd still probably need to tell the turret that it can access the armor's power supply, though.

(PS: thanks for the terrifying and hilarious mental image of a giant turret running around on spindly exoskeleton legs)
The turret entity cannot do any of these things. Have a look at the ridiculous shit the guy had to hack together for the logistics turrets.

The mod API doesn't allow for custom or non-standard entries to the entity's prototype (which defines what the entity is and what it does or can do).

This issue limits me from being able to add inventories to my robot soldier entities for example.

mr_rieper7
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mr_rieper7 »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the answers.
I guess my dreams are shattered until the development gods decide that this is something they would like to look into.

That turret with exo-skeleton legs would have been helluva funny though.... mobile factory anyone ;)

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”