No electricity, only burner energy mod?

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Wakaba-chan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

No electricity, only burner energy mod?

Post by Wakaba-chan »

Hello,

Is there any mod that removes electricity from game completely? I mean, I want that there be not only burner inserter, mining drill and furnace but also assembling machines, and everithing else. I want to place radar and box with coal next to it and make inserter to feed it. And I will need to go to it sometimes to refresh box's content.

I want to have burning-powered drones, so they can take piece of coal/solid fuel and fly on.

No electric engine, only burner one.

I would like to deal with all that coal logistic problems that will appear with such mod. Now I need just to put fuel in boiler and that's all - it's too boring for me.

Of cource, all buildings will have some energy conversion efficiency. I think it should be like inserter's or mining drill's ones.

I was trying to find such mod but found no one. Is there already somewhere something like this? Or I should start my own mod? I'm now right about to start learning Factorio's modding system and working as C/C# programmer, so I think it would not be too hard to make all this by myself, I just don't want to make duplicate.

If somebody knows mod like this, please let me know! Thank you in advance and I hope I post my question is correct forum.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: No electricity, only burner energy mod?

Post by BlakeMW »

Note that not everything can be burnerfied because not all things which require an energy source accept burner. Sometimes there are clever hacks to compensate for this. In case you didn't find them here are some burner mods:

Burner Assembler:
viewtopic.php?f=93&t=13952

Burner Lamp (Hack!):
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=12389

I believe at the moment it's not possible to make a burner lab which will be the main obstacle to a fully burnerfied game, although this could probably be compensated for with a multiple-building-building i.e. the actual lab, a generator which generates electricity, and a tiny hidden power pole which only connects the two buildings. A script needs to add the extra parts when the player places the main building. You could look into KSPower (Burner Generator) and Nucular (reactor - has extra input and output buildings added by script) to get some clues on how to perform this kind of trickery.

Wakaba-chan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wakaba-chan »

BlakeMW wrote:Note that not everything can be burnerfied
I believe at the moment it's not possible to make a burner lab which will be the main obstacle
I haven't start to dig deep yet, but what is wrong with burner lab? If I burnerfy other buildings, I can do same with lab, why not?

And thank you for links!

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

Not all buildings can be successfully burnerfied - IIRC attempting to burnify a lamp or lab wont create the required fuel slot so you have no way to fuel the building. Of course it's quite possible this will change in future updates.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

One way to almost accomplish this idea would be to make a coal generator that is also a range-1 power pole, and remove all other power poles from the game, so you have to put a generator adjacent to any electric buildings/devices.

Wakaba-chan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wakaba-chan »

I've researched this question a bit and here we go... Good news: Lab can be burnerified, but Radar and Roboport can not. So now I learning through Lua documentation about how to create my own Radar with burning slot.

And here is the question: can I hope that Factorio team will turn on such an option for base "radar" and "roboport" types (I mean make so that they could be burnerified in simple way)? Will it be in 0.14 Factorio? Where could I hopefully ask such a question to developers or ask them for such a favor?

Madd_Mugsy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Madd_Mugsy »

I'm currently working on a modpack with a burner lab in it... The gist is that you start with nothing, and very few available tools for crafting. You need to research electricity, which of course requires some kind of burner lab and assembler.

I've been waiting for 0.13 to drop so I can update everything before making it public, but may do so earlier if 0.13 takes much longer to release :p

Wakaba-chan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wakaba-chan »

Madd_Mugsy wrote:I'm currently working on a modpack with a burner lab in it... The gist is that you start with nothing, and very few available tools for crafting. You need to research electricity, which of course requires some kind of burner lab and assembler.

I've been waiting for 0.13 to drop so I can update everything before making it public, but may do so earlier if 0.13 takes much longer to release :p
I've almost finished my own mod, but wish you luck too! Now just playing it to make sure it working correctly.

Otterbear
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Otterbear »

I had thoughts along this line...More of a Steam-Punk version. Where you COULD make everything coal fired OR, you could make everything run on steam. :) You could build steam manifolds and piping and such. It would cut down a bit on the coal belts, but would of course increase steam piping.

Wakaba-chan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wakaba-chan »

Ok, I finally made it :) viewtopic.php?f=94&t=26870

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”