Ideas for a Rating/Scoring System

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
eddieballgame
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Ideas for a Rating/Scoring System

Post by eddieballgame »

New to this game & liking it very much. Like the co-op but am more interested in PvP games. That being said, was wondering about the possibility of a mod that can actually "rank" a player by his in-game performance. This is probably not a doable request, but thought I would toss it out there for the experienced/knowledgeable modders to offer up an opinion. I am thinking this wonderful game could be a candidate for a "Game of the Month" type competition. In other words, players would compete against each other using the same save game file. Having a performance rating type scoring system could allow for setting time limits to a particular game.
I have some modding experience with many games, so, with some "help", I will gladly undertake this project if anyone thinks the idea is possible.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Ideas for a Rating/Scoring System

Post by DaveMcW »

It's pretty easy to make a mod that counts every item in the game and assigns it a score value.

The tricky part is picking a fair score value. If it's too resource-based, people will spam mining drills. If it's too manufacturing-based, people will spam discharge defenses.

One way is to estimate the items needed for a goal (launch a rocket), and only score items that work towards that goal.

eddieballgame
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by eddieballgame »

Yes, I was also thinking along those lines. The assigning of values per actions is an important ingredient in coming up with a viable rating system. An idea might be to have themed type competitions with separate ratings per each theme. The rocket launching goal is a good idea. I was also thinking of "competitions" that would require a lesser time frame.

Thank you for your imput.

eddieballgame
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by eddieballgame »

More thoughts on this "idea" are as follows; wanting to use production numbers, Electrical Network Info numbers, & Research ( number of items researched & levels ). Wondering if this would be enough in-game data to apply to a performance rating. Next huge step is learning which files I would need to mod to attempt this. ANY help would be most appreciated. :)

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Electric network consumption is completely exploitable and useless. Electric network production might be useful, but the interface sucks at showing max production. Also mods can't access it.

Production numbers can be inflated short-term, so I assume you want to use the 50-hour numbers. It skips anything hand-crafted, which is a lot of the early game. Also mods can't access it.

eddieballgame
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by eddieballgame »

Ah, more valuable input; thank you sir. Yes on the 50 hr production #, I was actually thinking the 10 hr one would work as well. Sad to hear about not being able to access those particular generated numbers. Looks like this is a job for using an outside source to accomplish my desire, a calculator. :)

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”