RepairChest Mod

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
omega_haxors
Inserter
Inserter

Re: RepairChest Mod

Post by omega_haxors »

Nevermind. This trick won't work at all. The AI for the bots will take a repair pack from their home, use it up, and then find the chest and return home rather than go back to work. You may as well just pump the repair pack straight into the port.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Well i usually don't overcare to much, my repairpack assembler has a passiv provider and is centert, by rule of thumbe estimate ;)
enough packs in the chest the rest relativates anyways after a short while. I think the best bet is to have a good Logisystem and a port near the
spots of heavier attacks.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

I took a precursory look at the tree farm mod, but it didn't give me clues on how to modify the logistic logic.

Meanwhile, I played around with setting the logistic_mode to nil, and it broke. I also tried to add an original group to logistic_modeby setting it to "repair" but it fails there too.

Even so, I learned a bunch of stuff about the factorio API during my exploration, like how to actually print in-game.

My current thought/strategy is to create zombie entities attached to the repair chest. That is, the bots will pass items to the zombie requester chest which then pass to the zombie passive provider chest. The repair chest manages things by telling repair chest what to request at any given time and keeping tap on inventory. I don't know if it will work, and it's hacky as hell, but I hope it works.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

i don't know ... i forsee hovering bots over the chest transfering between the Zombies.
Could be wrong but basiclly thats wat i said transfer from an requester to a provider and the bots take it right back to the requester ...
Hmm if the requester would become a provider only if he's satisfied however it might work.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

Takezu wrote:i don't know ... i forsee hovering bots over the chest transfering between the Zombies.
Could be wrong but basiclly thats wat i said transfer from an requester to a provider and the bots take it right back to the requester ...
Hmm if the requester would become a provider only if he's satisfied however it might work.
Oops. You're right.

A way to resolve that is to have the repair chest holds all the items until the requested items are here, but that preclude the items from being used during damage control events if you don't have items needed.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

So...anybody minds if I post a devlog on what I am doing so far?

Here's the first entry:

Toward the end of my development session, I spent an inordinate time trying to figure out why getting the array size through table.getn(t) doesn't work. Turns out that the method was removed.

The joy of learning a language on the fly, I guess.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

I am not all talk and no doing. I continue to persist and work on my mod.. :D

Finally created a list of all player built entity within a certain distance. The radius is only 1, but that will change later.

Started work on GUI. Right now, all I have is a button that float when near a repairChest.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

I got to the halfway point? That being said, development will always take longer than I think.

The GUI groundwork has been laid and the repair chests know what has been placed in a 1 square radius.

Next stage is to get storage and requester zombie chests up and running, and managing it just so that bots don't float forever above the repair chest.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

I did actually have something like this in mind for my Pneumatic Network mod since i know that when an entity dies an event is called. But i didn't get to do it since its a little more you have to do. Because you have to find out if it really is neccecary to request the items. Like whats the reason to request a miner if there already is some in storage. Luckily i already got most of that done. So if the demand comes i might add such functionality ;)!
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

Mod development is not dead, but I got mired down into writing a testing framework for this rather than the actual feature implementation.

I want an automatic way of doing integration testing, but it turns out that writing automation code makes development 3x as long, plus, a loss in disciple/willpower to keep going as aggressively as I did before.

I am still working it though.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

kiba wrote:#4

Mod development is not dead, but I got mired down into writing a testing framework for this rather than the actual feature implementation.

I want an automatic way of doing integration testing, but it turns out that writing automation code makes development 3x as long, plus, a loss in disciple/willpower to keep going as aggressively as I did before.

I am still working it though.
There is no need to automate such a mod.
All you need to do is to have it all setup and ready for you to test in a world ;)!
and if something goes wrong edit the script and reload.
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

jorgenRe wrote:
kiba wrote: There is no need to automate such a mod.
All you need to do is to have it all setup and ready for you to test in a world ;)!
and if something goes wrong edit the script and reload.
I hate testing manually. It feels so unsystematic and unscientific and inefficient.

Phenix0cs
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Phenix0cs »

I just posted a mod that I think do what you are looking for.
It add possibility to configure requests to storage chests.

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 97&t=19438

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

Phenix0cs wrote:I just posted a mod that I think do what you are looking for.
It add possibility to configure requests to storage chests.

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 97&t=19438
Really awesome work you did here.

Not exactly what I wanted, but close.

The RepairChest is officially declared dead. I mismanaged development by doing too many things within one mod instead of focusing on getting the core feature done and moving on.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”