[Request] Large footprint Warehouse "chest"

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[Request] Large footprint Warehouse "chest"

Post by Peter34 »

I'd really like a large footprint chest, to store stuff. The benefit of the large footprint, 3x3 tiles or perhaps 4x4, is simply that many Inserters can interact with it, 12 at a time, or 16 at a time if it is 4x4, compared to only 4 Inserters at a time for a vanilla game 1x1 footprint chest. It doesn't need to have a huge amout of slots, athough I think 2-3 times as many as a Steel Chest would be reasonable.

Cost could easily be 15 or 20 times as many mats as just 1 normal Steel Chest, since the player isn't going to build a lot of them. It should have 4-5 times as many Hit Points as a Steel Chest, and preferbly a bit of Resistance as players will often end up using these Warehouse to store a lot of stuff, so if one gets destroyed that'd be a huge loss.

The one feature that would be super near to have, beyond the "large footprint/interact-surface-ara", but which is one I suspect it may be very tricky to mod in (or even impossible in the game's current state), is if it could show percentage fullness, that is how many of its slots are occupied, even when the player is not mousing over it, via some kind of lamp or LED or something. Like 4 lamps, one lamp lit if the chest is between 25% and 50% full, one more lamp for 50%-75%, another for over 75% but less than 100, and if it is at 100% then all four are lit. Even if that can't be done, though, it'd still be super nice just to have the "large footprint chest" concept.

One use case would be storage buffer, maybe especially in coop MP. The players would simply plonk down 4 or 5 such Warehouses, one for Iron Ore, one for Copper Ore, one for Coal, one for Stone and one for STeel, and then route all mined ore (and manufactured Steel) into each its own chest, to be moved out of it again via a horde of Fast Inserters to wherever it is needed. In this way, each player in a coop MP game can be given distinct responsibilitys, like player X gets the task of ensuring lots of incoming Iron Ore, and he'll know exactly where to dump it, and player Y gets the taks of processing all that Iron Ore into Iron Plates, and he'll know exactly where to take it from.

matpmag
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [Request] Large footprint Warehouse "chest"

Post by matpmag »

Peter34 wrote:I'd really like a large footprint chest, to store stuff..
This is already In dytech machine and similarly done in yuoki industries. Have a look at them.
Were you wanting something as a standalone mod? Something bigger than these? Let me know, I'll look at it Thursday if you need something else ;)

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

matpmag wrote:
Peter34 wrote:I'd really like a large footprint chest, to store stuff..
This is already In dytech machine and similarly done in yuoki industries. Have a look at them.
Were you wanting something as a standalone mod? Something bigger than these? Let me know, I'll look at it Thursday if you need something else ;)
Youki Industries seems underdocumented to the point of silliness. It appears to be documented via YouTube videos only, rather than plain text that I can read much faster than any modder can narrate it, and even worse: some of those YouTube videos are in a language other than English!

Also, Youki Industries seems to be the same type of mod as Dytech, which is a mod that makes a lot of changes to the game all at once as a package unit. I much prefer small mods that each do one thing. I want to keep playing Factorio - I'm not interested in playing Dytech. Factorio with many, many slight tweaks each one of my own choosing, rather than someone's vision of a complete and radical makeover of Factorio.

So if you could make a Warehouse Chest mod, 4x4 footprint, that'd be really awesome!

Just for reference:
A Steel Chest has a crafting time of 0.5s and costs 8 Steel, and has 48 slots.

A 4x4 footprint Warehouse could have a unit crafting time of 10s (keep in mind, the player isn't expected to make a lot of these, so a high crafting time is OK) and cost 40 Steel and 5 Electronic Circuit, and have 96 slots. That's my suggestion, anyway. If 96 slots aren't possible, just 72 or even 48. Really it's much more about the large footprint than about having a lot of slots, but when it is this big and expensive, it'd just "feel" better for the player if it has a few more slots than a regular old Steel Chest.

If a fullness indicator can somehow be added, as outlined in my previous post, that'd be truly awesome, but I don't know if that's even possible in alpha 11.

L0771
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by L0771 »

But, if 1 mod have only 5 new items, is faster than 5 mods with 1 new item, calculate now for the quantity of items of dytech or youki.

And, i don't understand what you want Xd

matpmag
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by matpmag »

Peter34 wrote:If you could make a Warehouse Chest mod, 4x4 footprint, that'd be really awesome!
Exams are overrated :P I did some work in this today. I've created a 4x4 chest with the suggested costs and I've been looking at a way to make an indicator as described.
I've the actual exam tomorrow and I can't get out of that as easily as I got out of studying so I'll let you know the result tomorrow evening GMT. What are your opinions on having it interact with the logistics system? It's a fairly simple thing to add :)

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

matpmag wrote:
Peter34 wrote:If you could make a Warehouse Chest mod, 4x4 footprint, that'd be really awesome!
Exams are overrated :P I did some work in this today. I've created a 4x4 chest with the suggested costs and I've been looking at a way to make an indicator as described.
I've the actual exam tomorrow and I can't get out of that as easily as I got out of studying so I'll let you know the result tomorrow evening GMT. What are your opinions on having it interact with the logistics system? It's a fairly simple thing to add :)
I honestly don't think it's worth even a tiny amount of trouble to make a Warehouse Chest interact with the Logistics system, beause the Warehouse Chest is all about high throughput, and if there's one thing Logistics bots ain't about, that's high throughput.

I envision something like 4 Fast Inserters moving stuff into it each from their own Belts, and later 6 Fast Inserters moving stuff out of it onto 6 Belts that then combine via Splitters to become 3 more densely packed Belts.

Of course, you can add Logistics functionality if you like, but I'd really prefer you to release a 0.1 version of the Warehouse Chest without that, and then once it's tested and proven functional you can add additional features such as Logistics. In the end, you're the one doing the work, though, while I'm just the idea guy. So it's up to you.

matpmag
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by matpmag »

Not a bother, I'm doing some work on it now :)

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

matpmag wrote:Not a bother, I'm doing some work on it now :)
Cool. I think the Warehouse will enhance certain gameplay styles.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”