"Demands"

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Qilili
Inserter
Inserter

"Demands"

Post by Qilili »

Every N minutes (~30-60) you receive request (Demand) for x number of A materials, where x and A are random and x is proportional to time (but because it is random it is not too linear). And you need to fulfill this request during some period (up to the next).

Basically it is a timer "the more you play the harder it gets" to urge you a little or a lot, depending on settings and to make you produce more stuff.

I am doing it by hand, some simple math in txt file, /time and then put items in wooden chest and destroy it to fulfill request. It is fun.

Just throwing idea, would be great to have it automated.

vjbone
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: "Demands"

Post by vjbone »

you need to fulfill
But what will happen if don't? Air strike, bitter attack from range X?

Qilili
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Qilili »

vjbone wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:31 pm
"You failed/lost" dialog is enough, but here are indeed can be some possibilities, though it will overcomplicate mod.

You can punish yourself in rea life somehow if you like it.

I just need some urgency. Biters are good but they have some limits, you can ignore them after some techs and they wreck you ups for magabases. And with "Demands" your factory must grow not just "why not" but for real, or else ...

You can even have some endgame goal "survive for xxx hours".

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

I have suggested a volcano for this.

xTwisteDx
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by xTwisteDx »

Oooh, this sounds like a cool idea. Kinda, an "Indentured Servitude", then the whole time you're trying to escape the planet on a rocket. Let's get some basic information together, this seems like a mod that I could throw together fairly quickly, at least at a super basic level, but in the interest of keeping feature creep at a minimal, what would the mathematical formulas look like? Also should there be ever changing demands that must be met, and at what times should they come? I presume the "Timing" thing might be directly tied to current science level, or do you want it to be on RAW time?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

This is already in the game as the "Supply challenge" scenario.

Qilili
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Qilili »

xTwisteDx wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:50 pm
what would the mathematical formulas look like? Also should there be ever changing demands that must be met, and at what times should they come? I presume the "Timing" thing might be directly tied to current science level, or do you want it to be on RAW time?
There should be option to set everything in the start, because people play very differently. Default values should be low (easy).

I didn't think about current science level, it can be interesting to try.

My formula is:

Code: Select all

minutes_played * coef * random_item
"coef" is difficulty, also we have "request_every_x_minutes" as other option for difficulty, I use 30 or 60 minutes.

"random_item" is pretty hard to decide. I only do plates, but it can be anything. Also, I only use one item (random), but it can be any number of items. Items have different weight (iron plates vs red circuits), you can't use same coef for them, not sure how to solve this easy way.

Also, it can be as non-linear formula (exponential or logarithmic). Ideally, there should be option to test it.

Then I add randomness to it, so it is not too predictable:

Code: Select all

random_total_number = rand(0.5, 1.5) * total_number;
These rand_min and rand_max also should be set in the options.

Feature creep should definitely be as little as possible. That way it can be used with a lot of other mods.

Making settings and finishing request is probably the hardest part.

xTwisteDx
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by xTwisteDx »

Okay, awesome, that's not too hard. Now for the sake of "Immersion" how should the "Supplies" be delivered to said overlords? Should penalty for not paying on time just be a biter attack or should it be something more akin to biter attack + reduced time on next shipment, scaling the fewer shipments delivered?

Qilili
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Qilili »

Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:07 pm
Now for the sake of "Immersion" how should the "Supplies" be delivered to said overlords?
It is interesting question, right now I imaging 3 possible solutions (I don't know factorio api so I have now idea what is possible):

1) you can put them into some chest (all at once or not), then press something or auto and it disappear toward request
2) you can have them in your inventory and when you press button, it counts everything it can toward the goal
3) there can be some structure with input and you can belt into it, but it complicates mod

As long as items disappear and it counts Demand down, it works.

Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:07 pm
Should penalty for not paying on time just be a biter attack or should it be something more akin to biter attack + reduced time on next shipment, scaling the fewer shipments delivered?
In the simplest form it should be just a message "you failed", it is enough to make it work.

Everything else is a feature. Biter attack or reduced time or anything else sound awesome, I would definitely try it out (with setting to adjusting difficulty).

I would say first make it very basic and than you can add whatever you want/can.
Last edited by Qilili on Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Qilili
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Qilili »

coppercoil wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:31 am
Thanks for link, that thread shows that this is a long needed mod. There is no need to over-complicate here, just let game make us "do x items" with some progression, that's all what is needed. And settings to adjust it to your liking.

This would make factorio so cool.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Qilili wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:18 pm
coppercoil wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:31 am
Thanks for link, that thread shows that this is a long needed mod. There is no need to over-complicate here, just let game make us "do x items" with some progression, that's all what is needed. And settings to adjust it to your liking.

This would make factorio so cool.
Have you looked at what DaveMcW said? Does it meet what you are looking for?
DaveMcW wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:53 am
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Qilili
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Qilili »

FuryoftheStars wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:26 pm

Have you looked at what DaveMcW said? Does it meet what you are looking for?
DaveMcW wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:53 am

Supply Challenge is a small subset of what is needed. It has no customization and no randomness. It is just a Scenario.

But yes, it is "something like that", I like this Scenario, I didn't play it though (I will), I prefer to do Demands by hand in text file because of customization and randomness.

Though, I don't want scores and speedruning (points per second?), I just want more factorio.

Qilili
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Qilili »

Time-period should also be random!
60 min is default, but you can set min and max for rand(min, max).

It is like Randy Random in RimWorld. Nothing ... nothing ... and then bum! Make shitload of items! Or several in quick succession, and it will kill you if you are not prepared.

Oh my god, I literally feel these huge dopamine hits right now.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Qilili wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:39 pm
It is just a Scenario.
Just to point out, so is "normal" Factorio. They're all scenarios.

Also, scenarios are editable.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Return to β€œIdeas and Requests For Mods”