Mass Train controller

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
mathew2214
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Mass Train controller

Post by mathew2214 »

I wish there were a way to give a command or edit the schedule of, several trains at once. perhaps some of the early concepts would be done via adding buttons to the edit station menu. like a button that does "add this stop to ALL trains". then maybe even add a "add this stop with X condition to ALL trains that also have Y stop in their schedule" button.
specifically, i want an easy way to manage my existing network of vanilla trains. i know nothing about making mods for this game.

a bit more information about my problem: i have over 500 trains in my save. i have even more stations, but most of those stations share a name, and i let the train path-finding magic do its thing. lately, it has become too cumbersome to manually halt trains and find them and diagnose issues in my railway network. it would solve many of my headaches if i could select all or many of my trains and make them all deviate to a new stop or a new temporary stop, just to flush out my factory's rail system. i may have over 500 trains, but only about 4 schedules that i just copy and paste into new trains as i need to.

example: say my iron trains get jammed and i cannot figure it out easily. it would help me greatly if i could just select every train with a specific stop name in its schedule and make them all go to a new temp stop, or a new parking station. selecting all 200+ iron trains and sending them to the parking site one at a time is infeasible. if i could instantly add a parking stop to all my iron trains, then i could very easily know exactly where my problem is because the problematic iron trains would be the only ones not going to the park spot. i would of course also need a way to remove the parking stop from the schedule once im ready to repopulate my network.

i have solution already in place to generate parking sites and temp stops. i just need a way to instantly add and remove them to a massive amount of trains.

i know nothing of factorio modding, idk if what im asking is even possible without completely re implementing trains. i want to manage my existing vanilla train network.

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Mass Train controller

Post by Stringweasel »

Is this what you're looking for? :)

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/TrainGroups
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

mathew2214
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mathew2214 »

kind of. this mod would be great if i had it from the beginning. if i were to use it now, i would need to add each existing train to a group one at a time. this is not an option, i have too many trains for that. i need something that will work with an existing network of vanilla trains.

that mod would solve my problem is it could auto generate train groups based on existing schedules

mathew2214
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mathew2214 »

maybe it would be possible to add/remove a station to all trains with just a lua script?

mathew2214
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mathew2214 »

Train Groups seems to have attempted to add this feature. but i cannot get the newest version of that mod to activate in Factorio.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”