Map Generator Ideas

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Elf0ryl_Fur1solco
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Map Generator Ideas

Post by Elf0ryl_Fur1solco »

Hello,

Here is a list of things I would like to add to the map generator, but I have no idea how to start.

1) Button to make a custom map generator preset based on all adjusted settings.
2) Add sliders above frequency, size, and richness to adjust every resource at once.
3) Add more descriptive tooltips to each option explaining in detail what each option does.
4) Checkbox to force a minimum amount of distance between water and each resource in the starting area so you don't have to worry about miners trying to get more than one kind of resource or not being able to reach some tiles right next to water.
5) Checkbox to save the map generator settings if you adjust any start-up mod settings which forces a restart.

Thanks for any input.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Map Generator Ideas

Post by mrvn »

The map generator dialog, like all native dialogs, is not open to modding. And you can't replace it with a complete custom dialog either.

So I'm afraid while you do have some good ideas they aren't moddable I think. You might be better off making this a feature request of the game itself.

The exception to this is number 4. You can change the noise functions to change where resources are placed. But it's really hard to impossible to make noise so the patches never touch or overlap.

The other mechanism is the on_chunk_generated event. That's what mods like RSO - Resource Spawner Overhaul - use to place resources differently. You should check that out and look for similar mods. Maybe you like the way they place ores better.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”