Coloring Cars (And other entities) Similar to Trains [Mod Found!]

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Shakar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Coloring Cars (And other entities) Similar to Trains [Mod Found!]

Post by Shakar »

Hello, this mod request I would assume is simple to the more experienced but I'm not much of a coder to really know what to look for this one.

Basically, I'd like a mod that replaces the current way cars and other entities with a similar method are colored. Instead of having them change their color once you enter/place them, I would like to have the option to color them in a similar method that trains are colored with the color sliders. This way you can have the entities (That can be colored) in the color of your choice without needing to reset the color of it or overwrite the color you had it as, very much like how the train color is handled.

/Edit many months later
A mod has been made, I don't know if the mod author spotted this post and made it or not but regardless I'm happy.
The mod link is https://mods.factorio.com/mod/CustomColor
Last edited by Shakar on Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Coloring Cars (And other entities) Similar to Trains

Post by Silari »

Been a while since I messed with colors, but I don't believe it's possible to change the color of a car when someone is riding it - it's always the color of the driver. If the car is empty you can change it just fine, but it'll change once someone gets back in and stay that color until they get out and it's either forcibly changed or someone else drives it.

Shakar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Shakar »

That is why I'm trying to request a mod that will change that behavior to be the same coloring behavior as trains.

Having the option to keep them certain colors you set like trains is what I'm aiming for with the request.

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

This almost certainly isn't possible with the current API, you'd have to request the devs to add it.

Similar-ish request: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=97238
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Shakar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Shakar »

I guess the current API does support it in some way as someone (about a month ago now at time of post) has made such a mod now! This makes me quite happy and here is the link to the mod in question for anyone else who is interested. https://mods.factorio.com/mod/CustomColor

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

Shakar wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:52 am
I guess the current API does support it in some way as someone (about a month ago now at time of post) has made such a mod now! This makes me quite happy and here is the link to the mod in question for anyone else who is interested. https://mods.factorio.com/mod/CustomColor
Indeed, it isn't actually using anything new, just some very clever (and fairly complex) runtime scripting :)
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”