No Deconstruction Timeout

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: No Deconstruction Timeout

Post by Rseding91 »

jodokus31 wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:42 am
I mark something for deconstruction, because I want it to be deconstructed. I think, it adds to confusion, if the game decides, that the order was not important after 2 hours and removes it (probably without notice). If you work on a big project like solar, 2 hours might be short. Importance is not necessarily the same as urgency.

I get, if there are technical limitations or performance issues or simply a game design decision, other that I see no big benefit for the expiration.
It's performance related. The more orders you have outstanding that aren't being worked on the slower it is for the logic to get around to ones it can work on. So if after 2 hours you still haven't provided something to work on the order it assumes you aren't ever going to and cancels the order.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

For me it was a situation where I have a 20 minute train ride between my mall and my new site. The blueprint for the site is large, and I don't even know how many biter nests I will need to clear until I place it on the map. Then I have to actually kill the biter nest, go back and gather up all of the ingredients, which might take a while to get 12kbelts, 14k rails etc all loaded up and back to the site.

By the time the decon timeout happens I have already built power and made modifications to the ghosts. So re-stamping the BP becomes a pain in the ***

I'd just rather handle cancelling my own orders then being surprised or trying to hurry.

Here's an example of why it might take me a while. Even though here I will re-stamp it before gathering the supplies since the biter nests will block the ghosts and part of the map isnt even revealed yet.
0.png
0.png (111.43 KiB) Viewed 1565 times

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Rseding91 wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:54 pm
jodokus31 wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:42 am
I mark something for deconstruction, because I want it to be deconstructed. I think, it adds to confusion, if the game decides, that the order was not important after 2 hours and removes it (probably without notice). If you work on a big project like solar, 2 hours might be short. Importance is not necessarily the same as urgency.

I get, if there are technical limitations or performance issues or simply a game design decision, other that I see no big benefit for the expiration.
It's performance related. The more orders you have outstanding that aren't being worked on the slower it is for the logic to get around to ones it can work on. So if after 2 hours you still haven't provided something to work on the order it assumes you aren't ever going to and cancels the order.
Yeah, that's completely understandable. The amounts of orders can get really big really fast and if they last forever, it grows and grows. After all, it's a game which has to be processed on a CPU and limited memory and not real life, where are no such limitations.
adam_bise wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:58 pm
*snip*
It's probably better to make smaller blueprints, or multiple, which also help to prioritize important things, like power and defense. Or does your mod help?

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

jodokus31 wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:38 pm
It's probably better to make smaller blueprints, or multiple, which also help to prioritize important things, like power and defense. Or does your mod help?
Yes! It works just fine. I've been using since. Thanks for your help with it!

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Rseding91 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:38 pm
Mind if I ask: why? The default is 2 hours but if you've marked something for deconstruction and over 2 hours later you still haven't gotten around to letting a robot work on it why is it important? Obviously it wasn't important since 2 hours has passed and it still wasn't handled.
I'm making a self-building factory. I'm probably not going to run into the 2 hour limit since I'm designing around the limitations. But it would be nice to know that the build commands I run were followed always eventually instead of probabilisticly sometimes. Why are robot jobs outside construction networks even in the queue? The ghosts (and deconstructions) could be just stored on the chunk only and use no CPU time until the addition of new or moved construction network area would search for ghosts and add them to the queue. So when a roboport is placed or powered on it activates (add to queue) the inactive ghosts within its own reach. And by ghosts I mean deconstruction orders as well.

This way I could place a blueprint that takes 1000h to build (some of the time would be waiting for things to be crafted) and wait for the bots to do it with no performance penalty (or bot activation delay) for ghosts that are outside any construction network.

hackamod
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by hackamod »

Qon wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 10:53 am
it would be nice to know that the build commands I run were followed always eventually instead of probabilisticly sometimes.
+1

Checkbox in the options to disable this?

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”