Bigger fonts mod?

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
yosraz
Inserter
Inserter

Bigger fonts mod?

Post by yosraz »

TL;DR
A font mod for bigger text.

What ?
I feel that the fonts in the game could get bigger. My resolution is 1920X1080 on a 27 inches monitor. I know that the UI can be scales over 100% in the settings but then windows etc. also get bigger.
Why ?
Everything gets larger if scaled over 100% in the game settings. 110% is not an option and I think this value could have been really helpful in my case.
Last edited by yosraz on Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Bigger fonts mod?

Post by Silari »

Don't have time to make a complete mod, but looks like most of the text in the game can be made bigger simply by adjusting the size property of the default font's prototype.

Code: Select all

data.raw.font.default.size = 16
in a mod's data.lua will do it. 14 is the normal size. The name of all built in fonts are on the wiki: https://wiki.factorio.com/Data.raw#font

Putting it too large can cause issues due to the UI not having enough space to display everything - for example with size=20 most of an entity's tooltip is cut off due to the larger than normal description. Seems less of an issue than trying to do it with UI scaling instead though.

yosraz
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Bigger fonts mod?

Post by yosraz »

Silari wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:58 pm
Don't have time to make a complete mod, but looks like most of the text in the game can be made bigger simply by adjusting the size property of the default font's prototype.

Code: Select all

data.raw.font.default.size = 16
in a mod's data.lua will do it. 14 is the normal size. The name of all built in fonts are on the wiki: https://wiki.factorio.com/Data.raw#font

Putting it too large can cause issues due to the UI not having enough space to display everything - for example with size=20 most of an entity's tooltip is cut off due to the larger than normal description. Seems less of an issue than trying to do it with UI scaling instead though.
Thats a pity. I would really love a bigger font mod. I really dont want to scale over 100%. Sadly 110% is not an option.

I will follow your lead and see if I can do something but I am not a modder. Just a psychologist :D

Thanks anyway for the reply.
The factory must grow...

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”