logistics filter to a railway carriage

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Igor_Sev
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

logistics filter to a railway carriage

Post by Igor_Sev »

I'm interested in a mod that adds a logistics filter to a regular railway carriage.
For example, a wagon is only used to transport copper ore. I do not want to accidentally load something else into at another station.
Please tell me if there is such a mod.

BicycleEater
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: logistics filter to a railway carriage

Post by BicycleEater »

You can do this in base game, just on a slot-by-slot basis, can't you?
Just middle click on the relevant slot, and a menu comes up (this is from memory, but I have had filtered trains before).

Igor_Sev
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Igor_Sev »

Yes, of course I use this feature. As well as copying the settings of the entire a cargo wagon to others ones.
Previously, I used cargowagons of standard capacity (20 slots). Now I installed the mod and expanded the capacity to 80 slots. It's tiring and boring to click 80 times in a game whose task is to automate everything and get away from manual labor. :D

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/logistic-cargo-wagon

Edited to add: oh, misunderstood. You don't want logistics functions for cargo wagons. You want just a single slot that sets a filter for the whole wagon or a way of setting all the slots at once.

Igor_Sev
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Igor_Sev »

Exectly!
Apologies for my English, it's not my native language.

BicycleEater
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BicycleEater »

Fair point, I have had that and it is a pain.
Another base game solution might be to use blueprints to copy the train carriages once they have filters, then you only need to do it once - potentially keep a blueprint library of filtered trains.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

I had a look on the mod portal and couldn't find any simple mods which do this - that kind of thing might be bundled in with more complex train scheduling mods but I don't know.

I had a think about how I would do this in a mod.

1. You can't literally add a logistics filter slot to a vanilla cargo wagon. Nor can you do much in the way of getting info in event handlers about mouse interaction with vanilla gui slots. So the simplest/dumbest way would be a hotkey that did something like set all the filter slots in a wagon to whatever the first slot's filter is. Disadvantage is that you'd most likely have to do it with the gui closed. So it wouldn't be fun to use.

2. Recently we did get the ability to make "relative" custom guis that are associated with specific types of vanilla gui and can be attached to the side or top/bottom of a vanilla gui type, so maybe there is scope there for adding a very simple item selection button to the container_gui of wagons. But I haven't tried playing with those yet, someone with more experience of them might be able to comment.

3. I saw a couple of relatively simple but clever mods recently (example) which do neat things with rich text symbols in train stop names. When I think about how I typically set my trains up, I think I'd go for that. 95% or more of my trains only carry one thing. If I have a depot or pick-up station dedicated to e.g. copper ore, it would make sense to automatically set the entire train's wagon filters to copper ore when the train stops there, just in case you ever manually misalign it at a fuel loading station or belts get contaminated or whatever. You could look for a specific rich text symbol that means "depot" or "supply" or whatever, and then use whatever rich text item icon comes next and use that as the filter.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

I've knocked up a working draft of (3) above if anyone is interested. It uses virtual signal icons and item icons in the station names to set filters for whole wagons, either the same item across the whole train, or you can list multiple different items corresponding to individual wagons. Haven't tested it on double-headed trains yet.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”