Combat Train

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Susucr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Combat Train

Post by Susucr »

Hi!
So i played factorio for a while now and i want to add options for weaponized trains.
Defensively, it would mean having slower trains (because additional wagons with limited cargo), but better equipped to protect their cargo. There is not really a need for that now (but there isn't a need for trains either to be honest), but some mods have more nasty creatures making trains an easy targets.
Alternatively, it could had a new layer of defences (and way to die crushed by trains) for hostile environments.
Offensively, the need for tracks limits the possibilities (but can work thanks to FARL)

I have a starting module that implement a wagon coming with a turret (largely inspired by the RailTanker mod), and i can say it's quite fun to attack some bitter nests with a FARL train.

I have some possibles ideas to make it better, but i want some feedback before durldling around in lua.

Here are some possibilities and ideas for the short term (some incompatible with other):
  • Make Turret Wagons the size of a Turret, can contain 3 stacks of ammo.
  • Make Some Wagons that are half cargo half turret. Can contain anything and the turret will use ammo in the cargo (corresponding to its specifications to chose from different ammo available)
  • Have a Wagon that has 3 slots for turrets, each with its own ammunition. You can construct any type (for mods that have multiple types of gun turrets) of turret in each slot. if the wagon die every turret is destroyed.
  • Make an Accumulator/laser turret wagon that need to be recharged every so often.
For the long term (with many implementation problems to come):
  • Modify the train behaviour to allow some Patrol Trains, that slow down when encountering enemies.
  • Have some better graphics than the current turret + wagon = turretwagon
  • Modify the Collision of the train to make the impact less deadly and add some unrealistic wagons that can damage bitters on contact
  • Make a bitter attractor wagon that can make bitters coming to the train, and getting dealt with, so the critical mass of biters needed to attack the base never happens

I will post a pre alpha build of the mod after i solved two current problems: the loading via inserters and the graphical display of both the wagon and the turret (sometimes the turret is behind the wagon in the rendering).

So any comment/input/genius improvement i didn't think of?

Factorio2016
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Combat Train

Post by Factorio2016 »

English is not my native language. Translator.

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

You can also grab bob's vehicle modules and arm your trains with shields&defences. If you add in bob's logistics you'll get armored versions of loco/wagons that can pack even more punch.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”