Infinite Storage Chests?

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Alyssa
Inserter
Inserter

Infinite Storage Chests?

Post by Alyssa »

Hello

I've been looking for an infinite storage mod, but I've only found the Compression Chest mod(https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Rseding9 ... n%20Chests) which hasn't been updated for the 0.15 version and which also adds other stuff I don't like much.

Is there currently any working infinite storage-like mod?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Infinite Storage Chests?

Post by Koub »

There are warehouse mods (mods that add huge containers), but they often have a serious impact on performance, especially when they start to be well filled : when an inserter interacts with a container, it cycles through its stacks to check where it can add stuff (or withdraw stuff). It is faster to cycle between 64 stacks than it is to cycle through 1k stacks, especially when you do it on each interaction.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Alyssa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Alyssa »

Ah I see.

Can't use those then as my PC is basically a bit more faster than a toaster and I fear It would slow down a lot.

I'll try to think some workaround...

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

do you need to pull from the storage chests or use them as a dumpster?

Alyssa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Alyssa »

Well yeah, a double-way storage for both requests and simply "put there until needed".

Currently playing on vanilla version and I think I have around 1000 storage chests...it's kind of getting overwhelming.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

hi Alyssa, it sounds as though you are trying to store everything...
i did that too :)

but yes, as Koub mentioned, if you have lots of warehouses, they can impact performance, but it might be worth you trying just a few, as they might help you.
for example, if you look at my post here (a few pictures down), you can see i made lots of cascading warehouses..
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=34176&start=20#p294780

these worked great for me, but i had to stick to a mixture of Yellow, and Blue belts or Loaders, otherwise my game became really slow... but sticking with yellow or blue, seems to be ok for me and i dont have a super computer :)

(edit, on that link, you can view the images in a new tab and zoom in as they are quite big if you want to see more detail)
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

There is a mod compressed chests but it's not updated to 0.14.
It might be a bit cheaty but it allows to place a lot of same type material in a chest.

It's really good for storage of large amount of side products - not sure how it would work for buffers.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Factorio has a glitch allowing infinite storage inside assemblers when filled by loaders.

Would be interesting to see if someone could actually make use of that.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”