[Request] Sel's Mod Request

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [Request] Sel's Mod Request

Post by featherwinglove »

bobingabout wrote:
featherwinglove wrote:I haven't Bobbed 0.15 yet, does it still have that strange progression of primitive lead acid batteries followed by uber-advanced lithium ion batteries followed by considerably-less-advanced silver-zinc batteries? (Note: irl terms of advanced; silver-zinc is more advanced in Bob's.)
Yes.

And in theory, the only reason why Li-Ion batteries are more advanced in the real world is because that's where the attention has gone. if you look up information about silver-zinc/zinc-oxide batteries, they have at least the same potential is Li-Ion batteries if developed.
I have. The truth is that lithium-ion does fundamentally beat silver-zinc. Not only because the individual atoms in the active materials are lighter, but because the ionization potential is a whopping 3.7V, more than twice that of silver-zinc. Also, silver-zinc was developed earlier than lithium-ion by about forty years. Before lithium-ion, silver-zinc got a lot of attention; it couldn't penetrate the consumer market (except at the coin cell level) due to the expense of the silver, but was fairly standard-issue in torpedoes, spacecraft, and submarines. The real reason why lithium-ion is recent is because lithium is the most reactive metal known to man, and like sodium just below it in the periodic table, has a tendency to blow up on its own when exposed to water, the most common electrolyte. It took a while to figure out how to keep lithium batteries from bursting into flames when looked at sideways, and the recent problems with Galaxy Note 7 imply that maybe we haven't quite got it perfected even today!
Pretty much the only reason why I didn't make this change in the first place is because I didn't want to break anyone's factory.
That's good. I don't mean to pretend it's realistic. I'm actually wishing though, for something that, while more realistic, may also be a bit less of a pain: Thermionic circuits between current basic circuit boards and basic electronic boards. The vacuum tube component may or may not be added to BEBs (I recommend not adding them, actually. That's laughably unrealistic, but BEBs are and will still be complicated enough in this scenario. Realism is a secondary goal.) The recipe would look something like this:

Basic circuit board + vacuum tube = thermionic circuit. Vacuum tube = glass + iron, takes a while. Vacuum tube = glass + iron + compressed air is twice as fast. No solder because wire wrap. Recommended for use in radar (replacing BCBs), turrets (replacing each two copper plate), and electric mining drills. If you like the idea and decide not to require research for it, labs. I'd also use it in some first tier machines that use BEBs, lamps and greenhouses, where we can pretend the vacuum tubes are the lightbulbs.

In my 0.14 installation, robot brains don't need solder in components that look like they'd normally want solder. Not sure if this is a bug or has been fixed.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

featherwinglove wrote:lithium is the most reactive metal known to man
Most reactive stable metal is Caesium. "Caesium is one of the most reactive elements of all, the most reactive metal." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesium
(Which is funny because I was watching Rick and Morty earlier this week, and part of Rick's concentrated dark matter formula was to add water to a mix of Plutonic Quarks and Caesium. It didn't click when he first said it, but when the aliens started to make some it suddenly clicked, wait, wouldn't adding water to Caesium explode? Yes, the following shot was a huge explosion that destroyed the entire space ship.)

Most reactive metal is thought to be Francium(heaviest element in group 1 of the periodic table), but it's highly radioactive and likely only seen in quantities so small they can't easily test it's reactivity.

Although Lithium is quite reactive, the further you go down group 1 in the periodic table, the more reactive the metal is, therefore Sodium is reactive, it fizzes in water. Lithium get hot enough to start fire when reacting with water, Potassium and further down start to reach the point where their reaction with water could be considered an explosion.

The idea of a tube is interesting though, since it doesn't require silicon, it could be interesting to see it used in the recipe for basic electronic circuits. (To be fair, with what the basic electronic board is supposed to be used for, I could replace it with wires if I wanted to, it's literally just there as a first step)

An alternate component idea is a relay. (When I was young, before I got into electronics, you could say I was playing with electricity, and actually managed to build a relay circuit, using 4 relays. 2 were SPST and 2 were DPDT. I really wish I could remember how I wired it up, but it was a bi-directional motor controller. Press 1 button for up, and another for down. The motor had a rope attached and was used to pull the loft ladders up and down in my friend's house. His bedroom was in the loft)
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

I think we have a bit of confusion: The lower group 1 elements react more easily, but they do not react with more specific energy. Lithium has the highest specific energy in group 1, both by having a higher bandgap outer electron and by having fewer nucleons. It might not react as easily and rapidly, but it has more whoopass when it does. This combination is probably why I've never heard of any other Group 1 metal being used in a battery.

Seldion
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Seldion »

Well to shed some light on this probably dead topic, its not so much the matter of which is more advance and is why its used but rather to my understanding, Ion-Lithium batteries are both lighter and safer to use with the general public as to the silver-zinc/zinc-oxide batteries would find more of a market in the industrial profession where I think its already being used in factories in Germany and England right now and research is being done to be used here in the US, just taking some time.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Seldion wrote: 2. a mod that adds a sniper turret, good damage bonus, range but slow firing and targeting with its own type of ammo [12.7×99mm] and not just a recolored gun turret with different stats for better defense against bitters early game.
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/darkfrei/CannonAlpha/
But with vanilla ammo. If you have some mod with 12.7x99 ammo, please write mod name here.

Seldion
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Seldion »

darkfrei wrote:But with vanilla ammo. If you have some mod with 12.7x99 ammo, please write mod name here.
I do not but thank you so very much, This is very helpful to me and I am most grateful for you taking your time to make the mod, THANK YOU!

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

darkfrei wrote:
Seldion wrote: 2. a mod that adds a sniper turret, good damage bonus, range but slow firing and targeting with its own type of ammo [12.7×99mm] and not just a recolored gun turret with different stats for better defense against bitters early game.
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/darkfrei/CannonAlpha/
But with vanilla ammo. If you have some mod with 12.7x99 ammo, please write mod name here.
Hardcorio is the mod with the .50 ammo.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”