[kovarex] [0.16.36] save migration check fail

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
spectrumero
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[kovarex] [0.16.36] save migration check fail

Post by spectrumero »

None of my game saves will load; the autosaves and main save all fail with this error.

"Energy source error, most probable cause is the double entity problem"

As such I can't load an early save and try to recreate it, and I've lost my current game.
The game install is completely vanilla. There are no mods.
Attachments
factorio-dump-previous.dmp
DMP file, in case it's useful
(463.26 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
factorio-previous.log
Log file
(5.31 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Trains.zip
Save game file
(23.12 MiB) Downloaded 147 times

xplycyt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [Kovarex][0.16.36] save migration check fail

Post by xplycyt »

I have the same problem. I have too many hours into this map, think Im gonna cry.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [kovarex] [0.16.36] save migration check fail

Post by kovarex »

Hello, I checked the save, and you are an unfortunate victim of memory corruption.

Why do I know? I inspected the save, and found out, that while saving, two entities are trying to bind to the same energy energy source in the same network with index 2284, while one energy source with index 2220 was left unused.
What is so important about these numbers? Well 2284 and 2220 in binary have just one bit of difference.

The save worked fine right after the corruption happened and you could overwrite all your saves with this corrupt variant of that bit, but once you tried to load the save, these indexes were used to re-construct the electric network and it is where the error is discovered.

This leads me to the obligatory advice to do a mem check of your computer, but surprisingly, there is a good chance that you will find nothing, since it could be one of the rare cosmic ray particle incidents. More in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeJeoPCSpO8

The good, good and bad news:
  • The good news is that even if it is most probably a memory problem, which is something we can hardly fix, the way it can lead to all saves being corrupted without a warning is very problematic. So I added a simple check, that the indexes are internally correct while saving the map. The result is, that if it happens, the game will crash instead of allowing you to resave your game by a corrupt save.
  • The good news also is, that since I knew exactly what is the problem, I could manually change the index while loading the map, and I'm providing you the fixed version of your save here.
  • The only bad news is, that the fixed version is in a version 0.16.37, which you won't be able to open until the next update, which is expected to happen early next week.
Attachments
Trains_fixed_by_kovarex.zip
(23.35 MiB) Downloaded 131 times

xplycyt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by xplycyt »

Could you please do the same for me? I have over 1ooo hours on this mess. Would be very grateful.
Attachments
omfg.zip
(52.5 MiB) Downloaded 213 times

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

kovarex wrote:
  • The good news is that even if it is most probably a memory problem, which is something we can hardly fix, the way it can lead to all saves being corrupted without a warning is very problematic. So I added a simple check, that the indexes are internally correct while saving the map. The result is, that if it happens, the game will crash instead of allowing you to resave your game by a corrupt save.
Will there be a way to still save the game in that case so that we can upload it to the forum (for bug reports and stuff), or will that be included in the log/crash dump?
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

xplycyt wrote:Could you please do the same for me? I have over 1ooo hours on this mess. Would be very grateful.
Also a 1 bit of difference in one index.
Attachments
omfg_fixed_by_kovarex.zip
(52.5 MiB) Downloaded 223 times

xplycyt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by xplycyt »

You are awesome thank thank you

spectrumero
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by spectrumero »

Awesome :-) Thank you very much!

vtxda
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by vtxda »

Same issue since the last update. Can you please help me out? (Energy source error, most probable cause is the double entity problem.)
Attachments
StrukturIsland.zip
savedgame
(23.44 MiB) Downloaded 173 times

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”