Information about releases and roadmap.
DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Version 1.1.0

Post by DanGio »

noclaf wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:35 pm
I want to start a new vanilla megabase over the Christmas (kids gone, etc :D )
Considering the replayability of Factorio I'm actually planning the game I'll play on my 1st retirement year :D

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

noclaf wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:07 pm
Are we going to have 1.1.0 in stable before Christmas? Pretty please! ;)
just run it now, as-is, in experimental mode.

did you miss what just happened to CD Projekt Red? Cyberpunk2077? terrible tragedy.

T-A-R
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by T-A-R »

ptx0 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:08 pm
noclaf wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:07 pm
Are we going to have 1.1.0 in stable before Christmas? Pretty please! ;)
just run it now, as-is, in experimental mode.

did you miss what just happened to CD Projekt Red? Cyberpunk2077? terrible tragedy.
I think you can't really compare those.

My wish would be a reunited online player base for Christmas. Multiplayer seem spread over versions after 1.0.
The current experimental branch of Factorio has non of the Cyberpunk issues (well ok, it doesnt run on a playstation either), and even a lot of mods are already up to date.

So for those who wanna celebrate Christmas together on Nauvis this year, be welcome on the latest experimental branch: the coal is already burning.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

T-A-R wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:23 pm
My wish would be a reunited online player base for Christmas. Multiplayer seem spread over versions after 1.0.
The current experimental branch of Factorio has non of the Cyberpunk issues (well ok, it doesnt run on a playstation either), and even a lot of mods are already up to date.

So for those who wanna celebrate Christmas together on Nauvis this year, be welcome on the latest experimental branch: the coal is already burning.
well, most play singleplayer - and those multiplayer servers might not be public anyway. I don't get it.

noclaf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by noclaf »

Sorry, but at this point I consider it a (minor) failure in the development. We have already 6 other releases after 1.1.0 - but 1.1.0 is still not in production branch (1,5month after release into experimental). And when I reported a potential bug recently, I was asked whether it is the same in 1.1.6 - haha, I'm playing to play, I'm not playing to test experimental releases.
I simply think the production and experimental is too disconnected at this point. ;)

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

noclaf wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:39 pm
Sorry, but at this point I consider it a (minor) failure in the development. We have already 6 other releases after 1.1.0 - but 1.1.0 is still not in production branch (1,5month after release into experimental). And when I reported a potential bug recently, I was asked whether it is the same in 1.1.6 - haha, I'm playing to play, I'm not playing to test experimental releases.
I simply think the production and experimental is too disconnected at this point. ;)
Well firstly, there's been very little development over the 2 weeks of Christmas, so you can remove those weeks from your calculations.

Secondly, there are still 11 "assigned" and 25 waiting-for-review bug reports yet to be fixed, so presumably the devs are waiting until most of those are fixed until we get a new stable. 1.5 months is not long compared to some previous experimental cycles in the game.

And remember that experimental isn't just about being buggy, it is about things changing in between versions. Whilst in experimental the devs have the benefit of quick update cycles, being able to break mods (in minor ways) and make small changes to the game. None of these things should happen regularly to the stable branch.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

noclaf wrote:
Congratulations, noclaf!

With this post, you're the clear winner of today's Entitled Factorio Player badge™!

Thank you, everyone, for playing. Come back tomorrow to find out who our next winner is!

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Kyralessa wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:39 pm
please don't stoop down to their level. it is annoying.
Last edited by ptx0 on Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

noclaf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by noclaf »

Xorimuth wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:03 pm
noclaf wrote:
Well firstly, there's been very little development over the 2 weeks of Christmas, so you can remove those weeks from your calculations.

Secondly, there are still 11 "assigned" and 25 waiting-for-review bug reports yet to be fixed, so presumably the devs are waiting until most of those are fixed until we get a new stable. 1.5 months is not long compared to some previous experimental cycles in the game.

And remember that experimental isn't just about being buggy, it is about things changing in between versions. Whilst in experimental the devs have the benefit of quick update cycles, being able to break mods (in minor ways) and make small changes to the game. None of these things should happen regularly to the stable branch.
Fair point with the Christmas :D Still, one month and 6 versions since...
Re bug reports - only 1 of the assigned is related to 1.1.0 (if I'm correct) - rest (+the not reviewed) are already for 1.1.6. I thought that's why it's another release # - that whatever is related to and reported for 1.1.6 is not going to impact previous versions. Sure, if bug reports (or rather corrections) for experimental 1.1.6 are going to be implemented into stable 1.1.0, then I understand the "delay". ;)

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

noclaf wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:13 pm
Xorimuth wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:03 pm
noclaf wrote:

Fair point with the Christmas :D Still, one month and 6 versions since...
Re bug reports - only 1 of the assigned is related to 1.1.0 (if I'm correct) - rest (+the not reviewed) are already for 1.1.6. I thought that's why it's another release # - that whatever is related to and reported for 1.1.6 is not going to impact previous versions. Sure, if bug reports (or rather corrections) for experimental 1.1.6 are going to be implemented into stable 1.1.0, then I understand the "delay". ;)
I don’t think that you quite understand. 1.1.0 will never be ‘stable’, because it isn’t... there’s loads of bugs that were fixed in 1.1.1-1.1.6...
they will release a future release that has very few or no bugs and after a day or 2 that one will be called ‘stable’.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Xorimuth wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:58 pm
I don’t think that you quite understand. 1.1.0 will never be ‘stable’, because it isn’t... there’s loads of bugs that were fixed in 1.1.1-1.1.6...
they will release a future release that has very few or no bugs and after a day or 2 that one will be called ‘stable’.
stable is a myth.

1.0 is stable, as in, its bugs will remain consistent. some are reported and fixed in 1.1, they're still there in 1.0. the behaviour is known.

1.1 is stable, as in, it works really well - in many cases, better than 1.0. this is because of ^ not integrating any of the bugfixes into 1.0 branch.

i don't really understand the OP, why get upset over 1.1 still being in experimental branch? it'd be another thing if 1.1 weren't even available to us. that was the case for a little while, as they'd teased features in FFF but weeks went by before anything was in our hands.

you should feel blessed and grateful that we get a good experimental release cadence here. and don't want to go offtopic, so don't focus on this part; but things aren't so great with, for example, Satisfactory. ~a year between updates.

CrimsonGhost0
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by CrimsonGhost0 »

Nexarius wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:09 pm
This is just genius :)

I have just one question. Why is the 1.1.0 zip file bigger than the not compressed version?
28tZI5Q.png
The installer exe is probably already compressed. Compressing something that is already compressed can increase file size.

noclaf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by noclaf »

ptx0 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:54 am
1.1 is stable, as in, it works really well - in many cases, better than 1.0. this is because of ^ not integrating any of the bugfixes into 1.0 branch.

i don't really understand the OP, why get upset over 1.1 still being in experimental branch? it'd be another thing if 1.1 weren't even available to us. that was the case for a little while, as they'd teased features in FFF but weeks went by before anything was in our hands.

you should feel blessed and grateful that we get a good experimental release cadence here. and don't want to go offtopic, so don't focus on this part; but things aren't so great with, for example, Satisfactory. ~a year between updates.
;) Well, I'm following the communique from Factorio team from 3.12.
If you don't want to deal with a less stable game or your mods breaking, consider staying on the stable version 1.0 for the time being.
As a casual player I didn't want to risk any issues - especially taking into account no backward compatibility. If I switched to 1.1 and then complained here that my game is for some reason unplayable, I would be rightfully kicked that I was then not supposed to switch to experimental. :D
And my critique is definitely not meant en bloc to the release cadence - really just lenghtiness of this particular 1.0 -> 1.1 update. 8-) Otherwise I have nothing but praise for Wube team. :mrgreen:

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

noclaf wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:48 pm
really just lenghtiness of this particular 1.0 -> 1.1 update. 8-) Otherwise I have nothing but praise for Wube team. :mrgreen:
Release of 0.17 experimental: 26th February 2019.
Release of 0.17.69 "stable 1": 19th September 2019.
Duration of 0.17 experimental: 205 days.

Release of 0.18 experimental: 21st January 2020.
Release of 1.0.0 stable: 14th August 2020.
Duration of 0.18 experimental: 206 days.

Release of 1.1 experimental: 23rd November 2020, 47 days ago at time of posting. Rough estimate of additional time needed: maybe another month, or more, or less.

Obvious conclusion: 1.1 is shaping up to have the quickest turnaround of any major update in the last two years.

Dr.RichardEvans
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Dr.RichardEvans »

I like what I have seen thus far. I only installed 1.1.x experimental yesterday via Steam, but overall the updates in design and player-interaction are quite welcome additions. Also, the evening lighting is rather beautiful.

Well done to the entire team.

Warm regards,
Richard.

T-A-R
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by T-A-R »

Just realized the railgun is still in the game. Military research. :o

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

T-A-R wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:15 pm
Just realized the railgun is still in the game. Military research. :o
Railgun? Do you mean the artillery?

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

valneq wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:13 pm
Railgun? Do you mean the artillery?
No, the hidden item that used to be available in the editor
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

The railgun does not exist any more.
Attachments
railgun.png
railgun.png (142.74 KiB) Viewed 8139 times
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

ickputzdirwech wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:34 pm
The railgun does not exist any more.
Pretty sure they're referring to the fact that the icon for military 1-4 technologies include the rail gun among the other weapons they show - middle of the left side.

Return to “Releases”