Information about releases and roadmap.
MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Version 1.1.0

Post by MasterBuilder »

Khagan wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:46 am
But the whole point is that while the old quickbar did contain items, the new one (i.e. new a few versions ago) actually contains shortcuts. Trying to make it look like it contains items just increases the confusion.

My original complaint was based on a reading of the change-log. Now an hour of actually playing with this change confirms my worse fears, as my quickbar keeps getting scrambled.
And you're not the only one. I've cursed at my quickbar a few times already. I just have to get in the habit of pressing 'Q' before I click anything there now. :(
Really annoying change for me.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

yourvoice
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by yourvoice »

After updating, all the previously existing map tags got removed. I migrated a vanilla 1.0 save file to the new 1.1 version and my tags are gone. Is this intended due to the new "Add tag" UI? Or is this a bug?

Looks like you removed the old way of adding tags with a right mouse button click on the map, and if so, could you maybe reconsider, pretty please? :) Or explain the reasoning for this?

Maybe I'm missing something, but previously with a single right click on the map I could indicate both that I want to add a tag and where exacly I want to place it. Now I have to do this in two steps. I use tags for labeling resource patches so that it's easier to see good spots for expansion, so it's gonna be quite tedious clicking on the "Add tag" button for dozens of patches now. Maybe this is a rare use case?

Thank you for working on the game, the update is amazing! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to set train limits everywhere. :P

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

My original complaint was based on a reading of the change-log. Now an hour of actually playing with this change confirms my worse fears, as my quickbar keeps getting scrambled.
Yeah, after playing with it I don't like it as much.
β…’β€”Crevez, chiens, si vous n'Γ©tes pas contents!

peternlewis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by peternlewis »

Does anyone have any way to batch update old saves? I have lots of old saves dating back for years and while I don't really care all that much, I also don't entirely want to lose all access to them when I upgrade to 1.1.

It would be really tedious to go through them all opening, correcting mods (if even possible) and then saving again to upgrade them to version 1.0, but I don't see any alternative except just losing those factories forever :-(

MrBadDragon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MrBadDragon »

Moved the character/vehicle gun window to the left of the quickbar.

I play on two screens - and use the left screen for the game - now my import player data like weapons are at the far side of the screen, not handily in the middle of my field of view.

I can't see an option to move it back - can you add a toggle option for left right?
Last edited by MrBadDragon on Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

MrBadDragon wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:51 am
Moved the character/vehicle gun window to the left of the quickbar.

WHY??????????? I play on two screens - and use the left screen for the game - now my IMPORTANT player data like weapons are at the far side of the screen, not handily in the middle of my field of view.

I can't see an option to move it back - please provide a fix!!!!!
are you too lazy to look 6 inches to the left?
β…’β€”Crevez, chiens, si vous n'Γ©tes pas contents!

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

FactorioBot wrote: ↑
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:29 pm
  • Added logistic requests to spidertron.
There seem to be some bugs yet, but ... oh yes, building outposts by spidey in far away lands. Including outpost/spidey supply stations, which enables it to build more outposts/spidey supply stations. Can it also build other spidertrons and put stuff in their equipment grid? That truly would make spidey the grey goo.
  • Train stop allows to set limit of incoming trains.
I am impatient to test if this solves the n:m station problem or if transfer stations are still a necessity.
  • Added support to use blueprints, deconstruction planners, upgrade planners, and modded selection tools from the map view.
  • Rich text icon selector.
  • Added vertical/horizontal blueprint flipping.
Thank you, thank you, thank you
  • Hovering the alert notification will show arrows on the edge of the pointing to alert locations.
This one actually gives mixed feelings as custom alarms by programmable speakers are left out again. I wrote a QOL feature request once ( viewtopic.php?f=6&t=78733 ) where I explained how treating custom alarms the same way as vanilla alarms would benefit the game.
  • Spidertron remotes now allow to add queue commands and a command to follow any entity.
Oh boy, watching a spidertron platoon wreak havoc throughout the biter nests, also traversing small bodies of water to get to them and then returning to the medic spider to get repaired, gives me a thrilling shiver. It somehow reminds me of the first Terminator movie. The bugs have no chance. The spiders always get to them and are no match.
  • Transport belt drag building is locked into a line, can be turned off by an interface setting.
Thanks again for making this an option. You did that in the past with other things you changed. I really appreciate the effort to make things optional and not just say "Now it is like that, live with it!"
  • Ghosts can be fast replaced and rotated.
  • Ghost build can be used to fast replace non-ghost entities, which results in an upgrade order with (optionally) a direction change order.
Very nice! And now already placed belts and splitters can finally be rotated remotely via builderbots. That is awesome! You even kept the filters on the splitters. It is not possible with ubelts though. That is a bit sad. I do understand why. But maybe some ideas come up to get there as well.
Minor Features
  • Added a way to reset spidertron remote.
  • Power poles/underground belts built by dragging logic works also with ghost building.
  • Power pole ghosts show connections.
  • Power pole connections are saved in the blueprint. They still auto connect to other poles outside the blueprint.
  • Expanded undo to work with fast replace and upgrade planner.
You are being humble. These features are not minor. They are important QOL improvements. Especially the PP connections being saved in blueprints. Now it is possible to create dense designs with separated power networks.
Minor Features
  • Added support to use the add-stop and add-temporary-stop controls for the train you're driving in the map view.
Ok, I am split about that one. Although it is a very cool feature, it is very counter intuitive. Actually, it is counter intuitive to the max. When I was driving a train and I used CTRL+click several times I expected the train to reset the same temporary stop to the new click location each time. But it did not. I first thought it is faulty. Only when I opened the train gui, I noticed, that each click added an additional temporary stop and the train was going to each of these in sequence, each time obeying the wait condition.

While technically, this is how temp stops work in the schedule, I think when using CTRL-click in the map view, this should work differently. It IMO should work like the normal click with the spidertron remote. I am riding the train and I think "Ah I want to go over there", I CTRL-click and I want the train to repath there. And then I think "Ah nah, I forgot something back here" and I CTRL-click again somewhere else, I would like the train to immediately repath to that last clicked location. And not go to the 1st clicked location and then go back again. I'll write a feature request. I have the feeling I am not the only one expecting it like that. Let's discuss it.
Graphics
  • Added detailed night lighting of entities.
Beautiful
Optimisations
  • Multithreaded belt update logic.
  • Overall small entity update time reduction + statistics of how much update time is taken by individual entities.
:thumbsup:
Any numbers on how much faster this makes factorio?
Balancing
  • Productivity module 1 decreases speed of the machine by 5% instead of 15%.
  • Productivity module 2 decreases speed of the machine by 10% instead of 15%.
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh! Now ALL the late game prod modded blueprints, which make something like "45/s red circuits" have to be recalculated and redone. Curse youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! ;) Oh hang on, I actually only use prod mods mk3 and they did not change. Love you guys! ;)
Gui
  • Menu background now features various factory simulations instead of a static picture.
I had to lol hard seeing the tanks levelling the nest.
The animated background is actually such a nice feature, giving modders the opportunity to showcase their content. It is a blast.
Gui
  • When entering vehicle, the vehicle window is shown next to the character gun window, instead of replacing it.
That. I often wanted to change something in the weapons configuration or the power armor while riding a train but could not. Great improvement!
Gui
  • Removed the "Character" tab from the character window.
  • Changed the flat character screen option to be defaulted to true.
Btw., thanks a bunch for the flat character GUI. You know why? Because now I can easily take items from the trash slots and use them. You might think "huh?", but that actually really removes an ongoing nuisance. When crafting one single item of something that I usually want to be trashed, but in a special case need, I don't have to change request orders, toggle the personal logistics or click tabs and do a lot of mouse movements to get to it, maybe even to late, because a logibot already took it of me.
Gui
  • Tabbing into a textfield selects the text.
Oh yes, speeding up the setting of personal logistic requests.
Modding
  • Added the "linked-container" entity type.
Uuuuuuuuuh, what is this? How many of these can be added to an entity? :D

In total: Awesome job!
Last edited by Impatient on Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

brevven
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by brevven »

Indeed, the quickbar is almost unusable right now, because the items I use most keep getting overwritten. It's quicker to grab stuff out of inventory now, where they are at least in some sort of order.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

peternlewis wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:33 am
Does anyone have any way to batch update old saves? [...] It would be really tedious to go through them all opening, correcting mods (if even possible) and then saving again to upgrade them to version 1.0, but I don't see any alternative except just losing those factories forever :-(
I'm not sure about a way to batch update old saves (maybe a script starting/stopping a headless server?), but as long as you can download old versions there seems no reason to fear losing old factories forever. You can use 1.0 to update a 0.16/0.17 save when needed, then load the 1.0 save into 1.1, or play old versions (including mods).

BattleFluffy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BattleFluffy »

Omg this is so awesome.
What an insane list of bug fixes, so many! That's some dedication.

I love this update. "Robots on map" is finally available without debug options, this is an amazing change - so many players are about to see the beauty of the robot swarms on the map for the first time. :>

I can see the nightvision effect is gone from map view too, I think that's good because in late game a lot of the game is played from there and nightvision reduces the vibrancy of the colours. EDIT - I just noticed it's actually a different effect now, so it has a vignette on the distortion. Didn't notice at first. Really nice

As others have said, I could go on for ages about all the awesome stuff in this update but for brevity's sake I will just say, thank you!! :D

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Impatient wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:36 am
Modding
It appears to be some sort of container that can be in more than one place at once. Not unlike a Minecraft Enderchest. They seem to have some sort of "link frequency" or some such; if two (or more) chests have the same frequency then they share their contents no matter where they are. Useful for UPS-friendly inventory teleportation I would imagine, across a surface or between them.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Deadlock989 wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:46 am
Impatient wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:36 am
Modding
It appears to be some sort of container that can be in more than one place at once. Not unlike a Minecraft Enderchest. They seem to have some sort of "link frequency" or some such; if two (or more) chests have the same frequency then they share their contents no matter where they are. Useful for UPS-friendly inventory teleportation I would imagine, across a surface or between them.
I would imagine super simple auto-balancing setup to load/unload trains with that too. If it's the same virtual container, balancing on train stations would become less needed.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

You can save even more UPS by eliminating the trains and just teleporting items directly. :P

Merssedes
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Merssedes »

V453000 wrote: ↑
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:31 pm
Merssedes wrote: ↑
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:26 pm
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:12 pm
  • Clicking non-empty quickbar slot with something in cursor sets the quickbar slot to the cursor value rather than selecting the quickbar value.
Aargh, no! I agree that the previous set-up is slightly inconvenient when you do want to change the contents of the quickbar slot, but this doubles the effort required to use the quickbar (you have to clear your cursor before clicking), which is far more important.
Mostly agree. I can se it as an setting. Different players may prefer different variations: some use quickbar with mouse (old style is mostly better), some with keyboard (new style is better).
You can still middle-click to just set the filter, but keep the item in your hand.
Yes, but now i can't single-click select item from quickbar if i've other item on cursor :(

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

Aside the already presented changes in the FFF, spidertron waypoints and squad, flip and turn for blueprints made Vanilla, more multithreading. This is great!

Though the new selection feature defeats the purpose of the quickbar. It might fit some play style but definitely not mine, this should be toggleable in the options.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

bMac59 wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:28 am
I preferred the quickbar the way it was. Switching items in my hand now requires and extra keystroke to clear it.
Or make it an option, please.

I keep overwriting my shortcuts now with stuff I don't want there. very frustrating.
people actually click these shortcuts? use the number keys on keyboard.

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

ptx0 wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:50 am
I preferred the quickbar the way it was. Switching items in my hand now requires and extra keystroke to clear it.

I keep overwriting my shortcuts now with stuff I don't want there. very frustrating.
This is true for 6 to 10, maybe 12 shortcuts of the bar if you use secondary shortcuts. But Factorio allows you to show up to 4 shortcut bars, and nobody, NOBODY, uses Factorio with 40 assigned keys to shortcut bars :D

badtouchatr
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by badtouchatr »

ptx0 wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:50 am

I don't understand all the fuss about this change. I always use 'Q' to get rid of what's in my hand before selecting another from the quickbar. I also use both the keyboard shortcut and the mouse, depending on where it is on the quickbar.

I haven't loaded 1.1 yet, so I don't have any experience seeing this in action, but it sounds like this change only applies if you use the mouse to click an item on the quickbar. Does it also apply if you are using the keyboard? In other words, if I select item '1' and place it, then select item '2', will it be replaced on the quickbar?

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

badtouchatr wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:22 am
if I select item '1' and place it, then select item '2', will it be replaced on the quickbar?
No, you're fine. Personally I had trouble while switching spidertron remotes, I've got several of them in the second shortcut bar. I had learned to simply click without clearing cursor. I just need to learn to clear cursor now, we'll, doesn't sound that hard.

badtouchatr
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by badtouchatr »

DanGio wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:38 am
badtouchatr wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:22 am
if I select item '1' and place it, then select item '2', will it be replaced on the quickbar?
No, you're fine. Personally I had trouble while switching spidertron remotes, I've got several of them in the second shortcut bar. I had learned to simply click without clearing cursor. I just need to learn to clear cursor now, we'll, doesn't sound that hard.
Yeah, agree. Guess it comes down to different play styles. And like some have said, hopefully the devs can make it optional in settings, if possible.

Return to β€œReleases”