Version 0.18.27

Information about releases and roadmap.
Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Version 0.18.27

Post by Anson »

after installing this new version, quite quickly 30+ of the mods that i have installed (not all enabled) were updated on the portal, and while checking 25 more mods that factorio has disabled on starting this new version (out of a total of 100+ that i had enabled :-), i found that only 4 of them really needed to be disabled, primarily those for displaying recipes (FNEI and RecExplo) which in turn caused the others to be disabled too, and problems in this version only looked to be very bad at first.

but while checking the factorio-current.log, i also found an error/warning by some mod "core, version 0.0.0". is this the basic core of factorio itself or does it belong to one of my many other mods? the message was "Loading mod core 0.0.0 (data.lua), Checksum for core: 3518170770, Error ModManager.cpp:1508: Error in assignID: recipe-category with name 'crafting' does not exist. Source: default (utility-sprites)."

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Having different sounds for each different button style can only be described as noisy and distracting.

Once again I find myself mending an artistic idea going to far in Classic GUI.

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

Locane wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:01 am
valneq wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:18 pm
Locane wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:00 pm
The new sounds are pretty good, but who missed this equipment grid bs lol
I play at 125% interface size because I can't see shit otherwise.
I cannot confirm this. Maybe some mods you use are not adapted to 0.18.27 yet and mess up the UI?
With vanilla Factorio 0.18.27 on 125% interface scale it looks fine:
equipment grid.jpg
That's good to know - I'm using Krastorio 2; maybe they messed with the interface. Thanks for your post!
This happens in 0.18.27 vanilla. The reason it's not happening for everyone at 125% is probably that people have different resolutions. This is power armor MK1 at 150% interface size, I'm running at 1920*1080 resolution :
armor.jpg
armor.jpg (267.25 KiB) Viewed 7090 times
Maybe file a bug report ?

Jürgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jürgen Erhard »

I don't understand all the criticism of the sounds. I find the sound of Factorio absolutely fine.

I turned it off many months ago, and never back on again. ;-)

Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dev-iL »

DanGio wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:51 pm
- it's become more difficult for me to differentiate modules tiers at a glance :
I agree. I never understood why tier 1 and 2 modules need "non-working lamps" at all, and now it's becoming a problem. I mean, even practically speaking, why put a lamp that's always off on a device? Here's my suggestion (please forgive the crudeness):
efficiency1.png
efficiency1.png (7.03 KiB) Viewed 6974 times
Leading Hebrew translator of Factorio.

someone1337
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by someone1337 »

FactorioBot wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:11 pm
Gui
  • Logistic chests have a different layout.
This seems to have broken my mod https://mods.factorio.com/mod/some-infinitychest (and https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Warehousing too) as the logistic and infinity filters are now at an unreachable position and its not possible to scroll down to them. :(

I made the infinity chest's storage size as big as possible (so you dont get scroll-bars on a full hd screen) as it affects how/if bots go for chest contents. Namely: Bots only go for available content which is not reserved by other bots. An infinity chest with exactly one item stack attracts at max the item-stack-size of bots at a time. So "As big as possible" is actually a good setting, if your goal is to test bot networks - also if you want to be able to serve almost all game's items from one chest, it needs to be bigger. :)

mc_nos
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mc_nos »

In my opinion the red circuits look 'yellow-ish' on a belt if zoomed out...
maybe it's a matter of screen size / zoom level (in map view)

khalismur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by khalismur »

The noise when pasting a large numbers of entities and you are close by is ridiculously high. So much I'm considering muting factorio and just play with music. The different sounds for the GUI contribute to that. Other than the already discussed Battery, Engine and Electric Mining Drill icons, the others are very good. Please do consider reviewing these, and also the contrast between the circles indicating the tier and their backgrounds in modules.

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

Most of new icons are better when they are big, however:
- all new icons looks like over-saturated so it looks like I need to change gamma. I tryed but it didnt help. Is it possibleto remove this over saturation effect?
- personal battery (include MK2) has different look. Icon should asociate user's brain with something, the old icon looked like the GUI gauge so asociation was perfect. Current version is confusing. Could you create the new hi res battery baased on old green design which asociate to GUI?
- electric drill is nicely done icon, but for something else. It gives no asociation with the object.
- modules are nearly unrecognizable. Parialy due to the new over-saturation feature. Partialy due to blend colors which means hard to notice details. Definetely need improvement.

It is pain in general, old icons were simple with less detail, which help for read ability. Current set of icons has tooo much details and color shades so its hard to read and memorize. Just compare old grenade and new one. Old is simple pinaple. Easy to read. New has handle and pin and perhaps dosen of carefuly rendered shades, so it look like a blurred stain. Althou some icons are cute like red/green wire and combinators.
I guess that art designer used good monitor with excelent RGB cover, then he spend his time to carefuly create the perfect pictures. However he forgot to test the pictures in minimal size on TN monitor. Lot of people play on notebooks, or other low grade LCD, so the result here is somewhat worst.

Good idea for improved modules :
Dev-iL wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:35 am
DanGio wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:51 pm
- it's become more difficult for me to differentiate modules tiers at a glance :
I agree. I never understood why tier 1 and 2 modules need "non-working lamps" at all, and now it's becoming a problem. I mean, even practically speaking, why put a lamp that's always off on a device? Here's my suggestion (please forgive the crudeness):
efficiency1.png
an idea of improvement
- the current ammo clips look like a colored banana. Rotate them to the position which fits to the assault gun.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-EZfELFiVmBI/U ... 603451.png
This is the acceptable clip postion/roation which asociate whith the clip rather than a banana. Best make a hook on top so its clear its top.
- night vison gogle sound is very nice, however play it automaticaly every day is too much. If you must play every day then make it more subtle (low volume) or shorter. Best would be play it manual (user interaction) only when take googles on/off.
Last edited by gGeorg on Fri May 29, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

Omnifarious wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:15 pm
No. If you select '*' and '+' for an arithmetic combinator, then the '*' on the output means "Apply the operation to each input signal.".

So, if you had the same option for a filter inserter, it would mean "Limit the stack size to the signal value for the item being picked up.". One reason you would want to do that is if you have a 'one of everything' sort of train used for outpost building. It's a huge pain to fill up those kinds of trains.

There is a feature request on this that the devs have never commented on: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49639
This. I made some solution to a train station, but it cost a bunch of combinators and is not very pretty anyway. If some dev would make it his pony project would be greate.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

I don't really like the new button sounds. Very weird. The regular button sound is pretty distracting and the one when you click a confirmation button is very out of place

The accumulator shouldn't have lightning arcs when not installed. How does that work? The icon looks fine without that.

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

Barrels light oil and acid are almost same. Acid should be more yellow and also less green to avoid same look as lube.
Water and petrol have grey barrel lid instead of liguid_color lid (blue, purple)
Barrel lid of heavy oil should be darker ( close to barrel body), so it is not confused with light oil.
Barrel lid of raw oil should be darker ( close to barrel body), so it is not confused with heavy oil.

Big Mike
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Big Mike »

I like everything and I think you guys did a great job. My only issue is with the icon for the electric miners. They do not look like the in game model (not an issue for the intermediate parts since they only exist in the UI, so I don't take issue with them being changed). That is pretty much my only grievance... love you guys!!! :D

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Big Mike wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:32 pm
I like everything and I think you guys did a great job. My only issue is with the icon for the electric miners. They do not look like the in game model
This will be fixed soon enough.

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

Legs inventory icon are in different position than in the armor grid.
It would be better when armor grid icon and inventory icon were somehat same.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

posila wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 5:59 am
Big Mike wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:32 pm
I like everything and I think you guys did a great job. My only issue is with the icon for the electric miners. They do not look like the in game model
This will be fixed soon enough.
Aww this somewhat implies that the iconic look of the miners will be gone. I understand because they make no sense (I mean, flywheels? fans? what are those?) but still... Iconic.

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

5thHorseman wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:16 am
Aww this somewhat implies that the iconic look of the miners will be gone. I understand because they make no sense (I mean, flywheels? fans? what are those?) but still... Iconic.
Why do you assume they're going to change the electric miners and not the icon?

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Omnifarious wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:33 am
Why else would it be so dissimilar to the entity in the first place? :)

ekisacik
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ekisacik »

I figure the Steam replies to news posts are probably the least often read, so I made an account to properly express my response here.

I feel like if contrast was one of the goals of the icon redesign, then *decreasing* the overall brightness of the icons would actually achieve that better at this stage. However, because that entails way too much work, I'll address the main issues - the modules and the circuits. They're just visibly too bright, if you compare the modules to the old ones it looks like someone turned up the contrast too high and it has white artifacts on it. But if the shots in Blender could be updated so that the "gleam" is less visible, I think it would do a lot to improve the look of all of the icons - if such a thing were easily possible.

Also, as others said, Sulfur is a little too green. It was one of the few yellow things on a belt, and so pronouncing its yellowness more would improve contrast.

GUI is fine for me, at least since .28, keep up the good work.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Omnifarious wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:33 am
5thHorseman wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:16 am
I didn't assume. I said it implied. I even said "somewhat" though that was hopeful. I should have said "strongly."

Return to “Releases”