Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Version 0.18.26

Post by Jon8RFC »

moon69 wrote: ↑
Thu May 21, 2020 8:13 pm
Rseding91 wrote: ↑
Thu May 21, 2020 5:56 pm
There is a hidden config setting you can change to allow it still (in config.ini)
Where is it hiding!?
Ok, now I know I'm not crazy. I've experienced this before when the cache-prototype-data option was included. It wasn't in my config.ini for quite some time. Now I can reproduce it.

New options do NOT appear in the config.ini until a setting has been changed, within the Factorio GUI, and "confirm" is clicked. You can't just click on confirm because if nothing changed, it doesn't write to config.ini. That triggers a rewrite of the config.ini, and then POOF, new options appear. That, or delete config.ini. Bug?

Illiou
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Illiou »

Gergely wrote: ↑
Thu May 21, 2020 2:46 pm
FactorioBot wrote: ↑
Thu May 21, 2020 1:34 pm
Changes
  • Disallowed saving over autosave files or making saves that begin with '_autosave'.
Oh come on. I sometimes use autosaves to save something temporarily without any intent to keep it for longer. What about an option in the pause menu that performs an autosave immediately?
Since the obligatory xkcd was already posted, simple solution: just have one save called something like tempsave, which you just always overwrite whenever there is the need for a temporary save.

ColonelSandersLite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ColonelSandersLite »

Raiguard wrote: ↑
Thu May 21, 2020 5:44 pm
Changes
  • Disallowed saving over autosave files or making saves that begin with '_autosave'.
Oh come on. I sometimes use autosaves to save something temporarily without any intent to keep it for longer. What about an option in the pause menu that performs an autosave immediately?
Joking aside, it's actually possible for mods to trigger autosaves. I could write you a tiny mod that would let you trigger an autosave using a hotkey or a command.
Some sort of on demand quicksave mod is actually a pretty good idea.

raiguard
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by raiguard »

Jon8RFC wrote: ↑
Thu May 21, 2020 10:03 pm
moon69 wrote: ↑
Thu May 21, 2020 8:13 pm
There is a hidden config setting you can change to allow it still (in config.ini)
Where is it hiding!?
Ok, now I know I'm not crazy. I've experienced this before when the cache-prototype-data option was included. It wasn't in my config.ini for quite some time. Now I can reproduce it.

New options do NOT appear in the config.ini until a setting has been changed, within the Factorio GUI, and "confirm" is clicked. You can't just click on confirm because if nothing changed, it doesn't write to config.ini. That triggers a rewrite of the config.ini, and then POOF, new options appear. That, or delete config.ini. Bug?
You can also just Control + Alt + Click the settings button on the menu to access the hidden settings. Then you don't need to worry about config.ini at all! :D
2020-05-21 20_24_05-Factorio 0.18.26.png
2020-05-21 20_24_05-Factorio 0.18.26.png (6.11 KiB) Viewed 6656 times
Don't forget, you're here forever.

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jon8RFC »

Ha! Thanks!

This game is "The Net" (1995 movie) with all of these keyboard clicking combos under very unique circumstances...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pXPXMxsXT28

raiguard
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by raiguard »

ColonelSandersLite wrote: ↑
Fri May 22, 2020 1:55 am
Thu May 21, 2020 5:44 pm
Changes
Joking aside, it's actually possible for mods to trigger autosaves. I could write you a tiny mod that would let you trigger an autosave using a hotkey or a command.
Some sort of on demand quicksave mod is actually a pretty good idea.
I went ahead and made one, but then found out that someone already did! It's not updated for 0.18 though, I posted a comment asking for an update. If he doesn't respond I'll post my version, but if he does, then great!

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

Fri May 22, 2020 2:24 am
You can also just Control + Alt + Click the settings button
:shock:

jakeyjkp
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jakeyjkp »

Started new game this morning - but crashing
Attachments
factorio-dump-current.dmp
(789.79 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
factorio-current.log
(38.69 KiB) Downloaded 133 times

someone1337
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by someone1337 »

Changes
There is a hidden config setting you can change to allow it still (in config.ini) (because we knew there would be https://xkcd.com/1172/)
<3

You can also just Control + Alt + Click the settings button on the menu to access the hidden settings. Then you don't need to worry about config.ini at all! :D

WHAT THE F... Over 2000 hours in and I have never read or heared about the "The Rest" menu! :shock:

morsk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by morsk »

Jon8RFC wrote: ↑
Thu May 21, 2020 10:03 pm
I just noticed the same thing, but I liked it. It makes the timestamp on config.ini meaningful. I don't always remember if I changed settings months ago vs. weeks ago, and the timestamp can be useful.
Wow, cache-prototype-data exists! I remember reading about it in FFF.
Last edited by morsk on Fri May 22, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Wondering how you found out

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Wow, that is good to know.
How does one figure out these hidden shortcuts?

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Wow, why is cache-prototype-data not enabled by default?
The startup with angel & bobs took only seconds.

View unread Posts

DarkyPupu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DarkyPupu »

I have to admit, both caches enabled (atlas and prototypes) really skyrocket the start time. I would like to know some "official" position on those still, is it something which is "experimental and should mostly work but we don't want to support it yet" or "we know it doesn't work that's why it's in experimental so don't cry if you enabled it :lol: " ?

On same idea, do you want to hear about anything malfunctioning about those, or is it in experimental typically so you don't receive bugreports about those ?

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

DarkyPupu wrote: ↑
Fri May 22, 2020 12:00 pm
I have to admit, both caches enabled (atlas and prototypes) really skyrocket the start time. I would like to know some "official" position on those still, is it something which is "experimental and should mostly work but we don't want to support it yet" or "we know it doesn't work that's why it's in experimental so don't cry if you enabled it :lol: " ?

On same idea, do you want to hear about anything malfunctioning about those, or is it in experimental typically so you don't receive bugreports about those ?
If nobody knows about it how can we test and debug it.

View unread Posts

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

DarkyPupu wrote: ↑
Fri May 22, 2020 12:00 pm

Cache atlases is quote robust but if a player enables it, and then something as simple as a mod updates purely a graphic they're using it won't update the cache. So it's not a 1-1 replacement for having it off.

Cache prototype data is fairly new and 'should work' but hasn't been tested much.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Fri May 22, 2020 1:01 pm
Cache prototype data is fairly new and 'should work' but hasn't been tested much.
I think its been tested quite a lot now, I know of many players (and myself) using it with a ton of mods and mod configurations over the last 4 months and its been without issue

DarkyPupu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DarkyPupu »

Thanks for answers :)

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

WHAT
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

raiguard
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by raiguard »

Optera wrote: ↑
Fri May 22, 2020 10:34 am

Wow, that is good to know.
How does one figure out these hidden shortcuts?
In my case it was luck, I was watching one of Rseding's streams and he was working on it. I tried a bunch of different modifier keys on the settings button until I found the right ones. :D

Return to β€œReleases”