Version 0.18.3

Information about releases and roadmap.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Version 0.18.3

Post by FactorioBot »

Graphics
  • Applied LUT color correction to new explosions.
Sounds
  • Transport belts - high frequencies reduced.
  • Train - pitch scaling reduced and sound levels remixed (Work in Progress).
  • Inserters lowered in level slightly (Work in Progress).
  • Compilatron muted as it was too annoying.
  • Removed scrollbar GUI click sound.
Changes
  • Overwriting a save file will show a confirmation if the selected save has more playtime on it than what you are about to save. (47857)
Bugfixes
  • Fixed tile rendering would break at extremely low zoom. (80523)
  • Fixed dragging train schedules in the train GUI. (80317)
  • Fixed a crash when migrating loader entities in blueprints. (80513)
  • Fixed fast entity split to burner inserters. (80602)
  • Fixed that the pump could never reach its pumping speed of 12000/s. (67037) (80585)
  • Fixed logistic and combat robots were missing dying explosion effect.
  • Fixed migration of 1x1 loaders from pre-0.18 saves. It still might result in loss of items on transport lines that start on the migrated loaders.
Use the automatic updater if you can (check experimental updates in other settings) or download full installation at http://www.factorio.com/download/experimental.

Hiladdar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Version 0.18.3

Post by Hiladdar »

I think the real highlight of this patch is addressing issue 47857, thanks.

Oh yea, the sound changes are also nice.

Hiladdar

AlienX
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlienX »

Thanks, I can reload my blueprints now :D

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

I'm missing the replay button - or I'm blind?

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

brunzenstein wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:12 pm
I'm missing the replay button - or I'm blind?
replay button is now here

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

thank you

raneo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by raneo »

Hiladdar wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:02 pm
I think the real highlight of this patch is addressing issue 47857, thanks.
Absolutely! Great addition

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Feedback on new accu sound

Post by Impatient »

Since the accus have new sounds I don't want the character to be standing anywhere near an accumulator. These sounds give me the shivers. :? I associate them with a wicked dentist's torture lab. Where the wicked dentist is also a hobby electrician. :lol:

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

FactorioBot wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:53 pm
  • Applied LUT color correction to new explosions.
Especially the atomic bomb explosions don't look faded out anymore and fits much more in the new artstyle.

JD-Plays
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JD-Plays »

FactorioBot wrote:
Changes
  • Overwriting a save file will show a confirmation if the selected save has more playtime on it than what you are about to save. (47857)
In 3 years of factorio for youtube and making a save after every episode i have never accidentally saved over a old save till tonight, is there any chance this could have a warning any time we save over a existing save?

manjhi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by manjhi »

FactorioBot wrote:
[*]Overwriting a save file will show a confirmation if the selected save has more playtime on it than what you are about to save. (47857)
Can you add one more condition to this check? Show a confirmation in case the map seed /exchange string is different too. I think that's even more important.

Solinya
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Solinya »

Since 0.18.2, whenever a player is killed by biters, they continue playing their new sound on loop (which starts to overlap and get distorted) for the full ten seconds of the respawn countdown, even on single-player when there's nothing else around. I'm not sure if that's intentional, but it's odd to have an echoing angry biter noise once combat has died down and the biters idly strut around the corpse.

(It actually continues for a little bit after respawn, if you zoom in on the corpse via map view - even behind fog of war. I think it only stops once the biters leave and return to their spawners.)

dimm
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dimm »

Show a confirmation in case the map exchange string is different.
I also think that it will be very valuable.

Filter62
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Filter62 »

Solinya wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:04 am
Since 0.18.2, whenever a player is killed by biters, they continue playing their new sound on loop (which starts to overlap and get distorted) for the full ten seconds of the respawn countdown, even on single-player when there's nothing else around. I'm not sure if that's intentional, but it's odd to have an echoing angry biter noise once combat has died down and the biters idly strut around the corpse.

(It actually continues for a little bit after respawn, if you zoom in on the corpse via map view - even behind fog of war. I think it only stops once the biters leave and return to their spawners.)
Yeah, noticed it too, biters just won't shut up making same sound on loop. Thank god there's only 3 maximum sounds from same type entity simultaneously, or it could've been much worse) Here's my example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKi-Qop ... e=youtu.be

And one more thing - Isn't it wrong to hear sounds from hidden regions on radar view? Like biter base out of my radar cover, still can hear biters in radar view, though region is not visible.

AirForce1
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AirForce1 »

Can you make the belt sound less annoying because your update doesnt help it is still soooo annoying. At least turn volume of the belts down or even better just make option to turn it off completely. I dont want to mute whole game bucause of one stupid annoying sound but there is no way.

thatguy321
Inserter
Inserter

Post by thatguy321 »

I agree. The belt sound is still too annoying. I hate to be critical because I know a lot of effort is put into this game, but the belt sound is so relentless, persistent, harsh, and unpleasant that I am forced to mute the whole game. Previously It was a satisfying feeling to stand in the middle of your factory and listen to all the machinery working, but I can't with this belt sound. I'd rather they just didn't make a noise.

I still mostly prefer all the old sounds in general, but I figure I can get used to most others beside the belt.

Also the shotgun sounds really strange. What is the metallic clank for? The old sound for this was better as well.
"I have come here to smelt iron ore and kick biter ass.....and I'm all out of iron ore." -me

Baritone
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Baritone »

Random question

But is the Factorio team open to suggestions regarding the sound? Like can I create some stuff and send it through instead of just saying "I don't like this/that"?

Yezpahr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Yezpahr »

Everybody complaining about the sounds should just look at mods for a solution. The devs shouldn't be bothering with such trivial issues too much as there's already a fitting solution with an active developer, it just appears to not be very popular which is strange if you see all these people complain about it in this thread... really go to this mod guys:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/VolumeControl

All those sound updates were unnecessary in my humble opinion and just ate away some time they could've spent on more interesting things, oh well.

I'm still hoping, one day, we can simply scan desired chunks with a radar, with a remote control just like the artillery control.
Why? Cuz when you go berserk in semi-endgame with artillery then your map ends up with fake biters being detected everywhere between your target and your base. They're just remnants of detected angry groups and sometimes there are sooooo many fake clouds of biters still there that you are enticed to just artillery strike the whole map again just to clear those red dots. It's a form of helplessness that destroys the stockpile of ammo in a breeze. It basically doubles the ammo-cost if you don't want to wait for the 100's of radars to still take 7 hours clearing up the fake detected enemies.

Could it be a bug with the radars that are in the artillery shells? I don't see this happen with normal scanned chunks.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Yezpahr wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:38 pm
All those sound updates were unnecessary
I'm afraid i have to agree that it feels like they tried to fix something that wasn't broken :|. When i first started 0.18 it feelt like the level of background noise has increased so much that it's difficult to listen for the sounds of singular entities. Maybe that's caused by the increased sound range that causes more things to blend and thus creating a sort of "gray noise".
Yezpahr wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:38 pm
Could it be a bug with the radars that are in the artillery shells? I don't see this happen with normal scanned chunks.
No. That's just how fog of war works in games. It stores the last available information. Most strategy games don't show units though, probably exactly to prevent this kind of "instantly useless information". Try luring a bunch of biters away from a large nest on foot, you'll have a nice trail of biter ghosts on the map. Artillery is just more prone to trigger it due to it's shortlivedness.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

BattleFluffy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BattleFluffy »

Baritone wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:27 pm
Random question

But is the Factorio team open to suggestions regarding the sound? Like can I create some stuff and send it through instead of just saying "I don't like this/that"?
I imagine they would be, since they always finish each FFF with "as always, let us know what you think on our forum".
So yea, this is the time, and the place, to have this sort of discussions, so I say go for it - post sounds here.
At least it helps everyone understand what "sort of sound" you mean.
Often that works better than a description. Writing about sound effects is like dancing about architecture. :>

Return to “Releases”