Version 0.4.0 Postponed

Information about releases and roadmap.
slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Version 0.4.0 Postponed

Post by slpwnd »

Hi guys,

during the final testing for the 0.4.0 release we have found some bugs in the replaying functionality and rails. Even though these seem to be small issues, it is after midnight here and we don't really feel we are in a good shape to solve these bugs and make the release tonight. Therefore we decided to take some sleep and postpone the release to (hopefully!) tomorrow. We are sorry if you have waited for this release, but please bear with us.

nyarky
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Version 0.4.0 Postponed

Post by nyarky »

we waiting for u . :D

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

I thought that the unstable releases are not meant to be bug free.
Known bugs would be okay with me.

Good night :)

Ilnor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ilnor »

omg :o
http://www.twitch.tv/ilnor
I try to stream often ! Follow the stream to get e-mails when i go live

Candunc
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Candunc »

Darn, was hoping for it to come out today.

Blackmoor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Blackmoor »

I'm just glad that we'll be getting an update soon.

Get some rest and smash some bugs.

Wardiaper
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Wardiaper »

It's only Thursday. Friday is a better day for release anyway :D

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aza-Industries »

Kewlio, Kudos having the decency to update us on everything.

I'm just curious now.. if it is tomorrow (today now) will it be the same planned time as the original?

I wish it was just a few hours earlier, it's just a little to late over here for me to stay up and play, so it's another super psyched sleep before I can play. =P

Anywho.. Good luck with everything! Don't make yourself sick/tired over trying to get it out earlier.

FlamingNx9
Inserter
Inserter

Post by FlamingNx9 »

Take your time.It's better late than bad.

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

And while we are waiting, there is already a quick explanation how to use the upcoming train-features on the wiki:

https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... sportation

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

drs9999 wrote:And while we are waiting, there is already a quick explanation how to use the upcoming train-features on the wiki:

Thanks, +1

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Will there be electrified rails and electric locomotives?
I don't think I'll ever need a supply train to work during the night..
Even though that might not be that important if the capacitors are big enough.

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aza-Industries »

MF- wrote:Will there be electrified rails and electric locomotives?
I don't think I'll ever need a supply train to work during the night..
Even though that might not be that important if the capacitors are big enough.
I imagine capacitors are neither big or cheap. Which is fine.. I'm happy slowly building them up. Similar to what I did with solar.
My solar power plant is the same size as all my factories and mines put together.

I hope there isn't a limit because I like the idea that if your economy is big enough you can create a fully solar/capacitor factory.

Sort of like the move you make from coal powered stuff to coal/steam power.
Or slow belts to fast belts, it's just part of your evolving technology and empire.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Aza-Industries wrote: I imagine capacitors are neither big or cheap. Which is fine.. I'm happy slowly building them up.
True, that would be fair. After all, we are about to get only a "basic capacitor".
I wonder what will be the capacitor:solar_collector ratio for maximal constant power output.
Similar to what I did with solar.
My solar power plant is the same size as all my factories and mines put together.
I think I am not there yet, but likely close..
I have "only" 200 collectors. That already provides more than 3x the needed energy during the day.

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

the adding of lots of new features is great, but in my case doesn't do much for me.

i'm at the stage where i could make a small scale base successfully. however once my main factory is complete and i start working on my defensive line my computer cannot handly the load anymore and starts stuttering to the point of unplayable. and that's the long and short for me.

THENIRL
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by THENIRL »

Let's not panic with slow computers here, people... a giant behemoth of a factory was bound to start causing problems, as much as redstone-intensive contraptions will in Minecraft. And we still have multiplayer to look forward to!

For now let's just cheer the fact that the guys are working so intensely on the game and show concern about overly buggy releases.

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aza-Industries »

I suspect the game could get more optimized later down the track but as it stands I think it runs rather well.

With my factory filling the screen fully zoomed out on a resolution of 2560x1440 it runs fairly well.

And this isn't even on my gaming rig, I just run it on laptop hooked up to an external monitor.

Back in the day I had a computer that could run all the latest 3D games maxed and yet it always seemed to struggle playing 2d stuff. Looking back I suspect it was more of a software problem (drivers/compatibility) then pure hardware grunt.

These types of problems are more often then not present in early development games, it always takes a while of testing and patching and figuring out what works best to iron out all the kinks and get software performing well. Not that I'm saying this is the case with this game, what I am trying to say is at this stage in time you can't tell what it is. Drivers? Coding? Hardware? OS? Compatibility?

Computers are complex and I see too many people these days commenting on how they have bad performance on their 'amazing' computer. Buying a sport-scar does not make you a good driver, you have to learn how it works and how to use it. Again I'm not talking about anyone/anything specifically.

All I know is it runs fine for me on a well optimized, routinely tweaked and tested laptop. If you want to learn how to possibly gain performance, research ways of optimizing computers this is how I got into computers years ago and since then I have learnt a myriad of things to consider on the topic of performance and then branched into many other things IT related.

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

Aza-Industries wrote:I suspect the game could get more optimized later down the track but as it stands I think it runs rather well.

Computers are complex and I see too many people these days commenting on how they have bad performance on their 'amazing' computer. Buying a sport-scar does not make you a good driver, you have to learn how it works and how to use it. Again I'm not talking about anyone/anything specifically.

All I know is it runs fine for me on a well optimized, routinely tweaked and tested laptop. If you want to learn how to possibly gain performance, research ways of optimizing computers this is how I got into computers years ago and since then I have learnt a myriad of things to consider on the topic of performance and then branched into many other things IT related.
very true, however my point was that the strength of my computer does not mix well with the scale that i prefer my factories to be.

i quite like to build in a very large and complicated manner, my power plant for example, 80 steam engines in groups of 2 * 4 each group is walled off, the total plant has a two thick wall with 8 gun emplacements (4 gun turrets and 4 lazer turrets per emplacement) including the necessary logistics to supply the guns via belt.
the southern area of the complex has munitions production and lab zone - 10 assemblers for munitions and 30-40 labs. also much of the empty space, which was hard to utilize, has been filled with storage chests so that storage ares wouldn't just be cobbled in later.

now, my computer is not top of the line BUT it is still a decent quality and power computer. However the trouble i have with it is quite simple, its power lies in 4 cores. each core clocks in at 2.1 and to my knowledge Factorio can only use 1 of these cores, at this moment my greatest desire for factorio is to get multi core support - ideally for up to 4 cores - however any update is still great by my standards :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aza-Industries »

Dakkanor wrote:
very true, however my point was that the strength of my computer does not mix well with the scale that i prefer my factories to be.

i quite like to build in a very large and complicated manner, my power plant for example, 80 steam engines in groups of 2 * 4 each group is walled off, the total plant has a two thick wall with 8 gun emplacements (4 gun turrets and 4 lazer turrets per emplacement) including the necessary logistics to supply the guns via belt.
the southern area of the complex has munitions production and lab zone - 10 assemblers for munitions and 30-40 labs. also much of the empty space, which was hard to utilize, has been filled with storage chests so that storage ares wouldn't just be cobbled in later.

now, my computer is not top of the line BUT it is still a decent quality and power computer. However the trouble i have with it is quite simple, its power lies in 4 cores. each core clocks in at 2.1 and to my knowledge Factorio can only use 1 of these cores, at this moment my greatest desire for factorio is to get multi core support - ideally for up to 4 cores - however any update is still great by my standards :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Very good points, yes multi-core support would be awesome in the future.
I didn't mean to come of sounding patronizing or anything, so sorry if I offended.

I think I was just letting out a bit of steam. I've seen so many people posting in forums all over the place lately, complaining about performance and then stating the high end hardware they have and expecting it should just run perfectly because of it. In most cases it's not the games fault too. =/
EDIT: Although I remember one case where horrible developers were too lazy to test their game on the other brand of GFX card. :evil:

Hmm..

Update 0.4 is coming! I can't wait!

Candunc
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Candunc »

drs9999 wrote:And while we are waiting, there is already a quick explanation how to use the upcoming train-features on the wiki:

Wow. Can't wait for this update, should we expect it at the time you specified yesterday (8:00 or something like that?) or is there another time?

Return to “Releases”