Version 0.17.63

Information about releases and roadmap.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Version 0.17.63

Post by FactorioBot »

Changes
  • Inventory filters tooltip now shows they are inventory filters to avoid confusion. (62775)
  • The quickbar tooltip now shows what shortcut to use in order to clear it.
  • Quickbar filters can now be set from the ghost cursor.
  • In Introduction, changed some places Compilatron stands at to be less in the way. (74138, 74018)
Bugfixes
  • Fixed some combination of graphics options could cause infinite loop at 95% of sprite loading in the demo. (74037)
  • Fixed assigning empty table to sprite definition would not cause loading error but crash in-game instead. (74089)
  • Fixed a desync related to accumulators in multiple networks. (73974)
  • Fixed transitions on tiles where landfill, grass and water meet. (74117)
  • Fixed logistic network technology description did not mention buffer chests. (74064)
  • Fixed "use-version-filter-in-browse-games-gui" config option didn't work. (73838)
  • Fixed possible crash in introduction scenario if player builds turrets too far to either side. (74133, 74060)
  • Fixed electric coverage visualization was not shown when hovering mouse over invisible widgets. (74120)
  • Fixed a crash when using a path_resolution_modifier of 8. (73785)
  • Fixed introduction leftover invisible entity after cutscene. (74127)
  • Fixed introduction bug where sometimes Compilatron wouldn't build things properly. (74087)
  • Fixed "toggle filter" control setting would not work if bound to modifier key and left or right click. (73656)
  • Fixed introduction bug where poles could still connect to the generator after it was destroyed. (74057)
  • Fixed introduction possible crash when removing power consumers. (74041)
  • Fixed missing laser-beam entity from demo. (74049)
  • Fixed issue with walls in hidden smelter section in introduction. (73335)
  • Fixed that biters could form too many attack groups when aggroed by artillery. (72732)
  • Fixed that clicking and dragging electric poles in multiplayer latency didn't work correctly.
  • Fixed that fast-replacing assembling machines with fixed recipes didn't work correctly. (73976)
  • Fixed a crash when deleting surfaces during the same tick as auto-save running. (74159)
  • Moved integration patches of crash site entities to decals render layer. (74017)
  • Fixed that inserters would pick up from the left lane of a loader even when positioned closer to the right side.
Scripting
  • Added LuaEntity::request_from_buffers read/write.
Use the automatic updater if you can (check experimental updates in other settings) or download full installation at http://www.factorio.com/download/experimental.

larandar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Version 0.17.63

Post by larandar »

Man the first one I was : Yeah inventory changes!!, then : oh that's not the new inventory but cool anyway :)

Love the updates, thanks :)

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

hooray for tooltips on the quickbar ... i keep mistakenly deleting blueprints from my quickbar

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adamo »

There are also apparently changes to the fluid_boxes limits in this update. Can we get a word on that? It broke a "trick" for gaining access to fluidbox_index 2 on buildings with only one input.

Edit: I found a new trick.

PSquared1234
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PSquared1234 »

This update -- specifically the fluid pipe adjacency checks -- broke two mods for me (including Space Exploration). Back to 0.17.62 for me.

Mernom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mernom »

Why is there no mention to changes to fluid box connections in entities? There definitely was some change, since several mods broke due to it.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Mernom wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:09 pm
Why is there no mention to changes to fluid box connections in entities? There definitely was some change, since several mods broke due to it.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=70603 ... ?
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

Bilka wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:55 pm
Mernom wrote:
should probably be listed in the changes area of this update. at the first post. many mods have been broken.

badtouchatr
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by badtouchatr »

Philip017 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:25 pm
Bilka wrote:
Mernom wrote:
should probably be listed in the changes area of this update. at the first post. many mods have been broken.
Yes, agree. That is a 100% crappy, sneaky way to let users know of an upcoming change. Not only is it not listed in the changelog for the release, but the whole implementation of the change is less than sensible. It checks prototypes during game load, and throws an error if there's a problem, leaving the user no way to fix it without a lot of trouble (disabling mods, restarting, etc). It seems like the devs are now knowingly introducing new problems, and telling the users "hey, it's up to you to fix it, we're washing our hands of this."

Is there a pilot in the cockpit of this jumbo jet heading towards "stable" release? Either no, or yes, but the pilot has had a stroke.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

badtouchatr wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:54 pm
Yes, agree. That is a 100% crappy, sneaky way to let users know of an upcoming change. Not only is it not listed in the changelog for the release, but the whole implementation of the change is less than sensible. It checks prototypes during game load, and throws an error if there's a problem, leaving the user no way to fix it without a lot of trouble (disabling mods, restarting, etc). It seems like the devs are now knowingly introducing new problems, and telling the users "hey, it's up to you to fix it, we're washing our hands of this."

Is there a pilot in the cockpit of this jumbo jet heading towards "stable" release? Either no, or yes, but the pilot has had a stroke.
An announcement thread meant for breaking modding changes is a sneaky way to announce a breaking modding change? What? The change is listed in the 0.17.61 changelog because it was first introduced in that version and then reverted because it was causing crashes. This is why it did not end up in the 0.17.63 changelog.

The implementation is the same as for any modding feature restriction. That's just how the modding API works.

The change fixes problems where the game would crash to desktop: 73488. That is heading towards stable release: Fixing the last edge case bugs.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Aquaholic27
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Aquaholic27 »

badtouchatr wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:54 pm
Philip017 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:25 pm
Bilka wrote:
Mernom wrote:

Yes, posting the breaking changes in the dedicated forum post for breaking changes is 'sneaky' - it's not like they literally told you exactly what would happen in the designated channel for that - that'd just be silly. Restarting the game is also in no way 'a lot of trouble' - game updates break mods all the time when new features are added, yet the mods are usually fixed within the week. I don't understand what justifies being so rude to the developers of the game over a change that 1. only affects a few mods and 2. can be fixed fairly easily.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

After reading both 0.17.61 and 0.17.63 changelogs, I agree it is not obvious there is a breaking change. I suppose, the thought was, if a mod used configuration that is now detected as invalid, it would cause crashes, so mods were not using it.

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

Bilka wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:34 pm
The change is listed in the 0.17.61 changelog because it was first introduced in that version and then reverted because it was causing crashes. This is why it did not end up in the 0.17.63 changelog.

The implementation is the same as for any modding feature restriction. That's just how the modding API works.

The change fixes problems where the game would crash to desktop: 73488. That is heading towards stable release: Fixing the last edge case bugs.
even though it was listed in 17.61 as a change, it was reverted in 17.62, mods broken by 17.61 were once again working in 17.62, but now broken again in 17.63 with nary a mention as to why. that is why i recommend that it be listed again in the change log for 17.63.

mod makers will look at the change log to the most recent version that breaks their mod to see the change that caused the reason for the breakage, but in this case it is not listed as a change. at least if they read the comments down below they can see that indeed a change was made, and can address it.

VFaalcatnodriiro
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by VFaalcatnodriiro »

Mernom wrote:
Aren't Release Notes THE designated place for announcing changes? The other thread is nice, but it should be in addition to the release-notes, not instead of it. IMO.

The last weeks may not have been the easierst to deal with, but I do not like the pattern which seems to be here... What happened wo you guys? :(

Mernom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mernom »

Unless I miscalculated, the pre release announcement was less than 12 hours before the actual release? That's not much time for modders to fix stuff even without timezones being considered.

On top of that, it should still have been listed in the change notes. Since it IS a change.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Mernom wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:12 am
Unless I miscalculated, the pre release announcement was less than 12 hours before the actual release?

That's not much time for modders to fix stuff even without timezones being considered.

On top of that, it should still have been listed in the change notes. Since it IS a change.
Almost a full day (22ish hours) in fact, considering the time of the posts.
Yes, it was short, yes it was an error to consider a warning on the modding discussions board (mostly read by the modders) had the same impact as a line in the chagelog (read by all), and no, nobody remembered that aborted change 2 minor versions before (I guess).

posila himself acknowledged it was a clumsy move. What do you want more ? A head planted on a spade ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

nafira
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by nafira »

I think they need to burn the Witch :mrgreen:

Seriously guys, even if it broke a mod, it could be a simple bug. You report it, and they respond : "oh it's not a bug, it's a mistake in changelog".
Downtime for you : 1 day, if you played. No broken maps.

Chill out seriously. It's not like a recipe changing in green circuits ...

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Burn Karen.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

calbro5
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by calbro5 »

I'm running bob and angles mods and I saw a ups drop from 60 to 23. Anyone else had this issue with this version?

Scottathew
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Scottathew »

Let it be known that many of us have a lot of appreciation for both the game developers and the modding community. You all do great work.

Return to “Releases”