MP mode can 2-4 people. cant 5~ people. yet
4~5th connect player black out and all other players freeze ;D

Animar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Version 0.11.6

Post by Animar »

kovarex wrote:
  • The range of all spitters have been set to 15, so they don't outrange the gun turrets.
Thank you so much, it was a bit annoying that spitters could devastate any early defences that one had build.

BTW: why exactly does the tank SMG not get the speed research Bonus ?

Path
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Path »

Hi Factorio's team, I baught factorio earlier. I played on my mac (10.10.1 Yosemite) and it was fine and very good to play ;). I wanted to get back and check your new work. But ...

With 0.11.6 and 0.10.12 I just get that error message when the game launch :
__trailer__/data.lua:151: attempt to index field 'created_effect' (a nil value)

My factorio-current.log in Application Support :
4256.339835 Info Logger.cpp:148: 2014:12:12 20:17:42; Factorio 0.11.6 (Build 12779, mac)
4257.548290 Info ModManager.cpp:204: Loading mod core 0.0.0 (data.lua)
4257.571769 Info ModManager.cpp:204: Loading mod base 0.11.6 (data.lua)
4257.821697 Info ModManager.cpp:204: Loading mod trailer 1.0.0 (data.lua)
4257.827939 Error Util.cpp:37: __trailer__/data.lua:151: attempt to index field 'created_effect' (a nil value)

To run the game, I had to delete Macintosh HD ▸ Utilisateurs ▸ xxxxx ▸ Bibliothèque ▸ Application Support ▸ Factorio (it's in french)
Ok, but I had to say good bye to my saved games :)

I share that to other gamers, 'cause I didn't found this information : to make it work back : delete Application Support Factorio's directory ;)

Have fun

Path

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Hello, all you had to do is to deactivate (or delete) the trailer mod.

berni1212
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by berni1212 »

kovarex wrote:Hello, all you had to do is to deactivate (or delete) the trailer mod.
Kovarex i have the Smartpack installed and it works fine how you mean to delete the trailer mod :) ?
Sorry for my bad English ! i will not remove it !
WIP Test MODS
RailTanker [MP WIP]

Path
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Path »

Hi Kovarex, thanx for your answer. but I couldn't do anything in the game.
Same question as Berni.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

The scenario pack and the trailer mod are two different things. You can delete the trailer mod from your mods directory.

More about directory locations: https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... _Directory

JLBShecky
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by JLBShecky »

Oh and a bright note I just decieded that I would run the tests for .11.6 and for the first time ever I have passed all of the tests!

In 0.11.5 I was passing 21 out of 87 and in 0.11.6 I passed all 92. Now I just need to see if my brother-in-law passes all of them on his AMD system, if so then we should be golden for multiplayer.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

I hope you will get rid of P2P multiplayer and in future use Client-Server multiplayer, because i doubt that many players play on LAN servers anyway.

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

cpy, don't make suggestions you do not understand.

The client-server architecture would be worse for bandwidth than peer to peer. You can't expect to have more than 8 or so players anyway, and many RTS games for example use P2P connections for these. If you were getting to the 10-20 mark, maybe it would be worth it.

The game simulates for each person, and the clients tell eachother what's happening on their side (player movements) and try to sync up various events/processes.

You do not need a LAN connection, there are people from the USA playing with Australia without much issue (in terms of latency).

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

I had few players that had so slow internet that they ruined it for everyone + you have no idea about port forward. Looks like in P2P everyone have to have public ip or 1 person do not need.

kyranzor: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 9&start=30

Obviously you are the one who have no idea about it.

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

Great, I read the posts in your link, i'm still not wrong and it is not obvious if I know what i'm talking about or not.

I still think peer to peer connections are fine for Factorio. Unless of course you just have one of the players act as the server, as long as he has the best internet.

WoodyDaOcas
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by WoodyDaOcas »

I am with cpy on this one :P
I have a friend (and not many friends wants to play that complicated game, sadly) who has a connection with nice pings, but terrible speeds. Even DLing makes his connection go to 300ms instantly, not talking about upload.
So I am not able to play MP just in TWO! players. I am not proclaiming myself an engineer, but this one is a fact, he lives there with this connection for 15 years and we played tens of thousands of hours worth of games on this connection and there was not a single problem with >any< game. Imagine that we are from the same town, not even different continent :)
How data is exchanged in Factorio is hardly ideal and that's a fact, b/c we've seen it first hand.

Is this game not available for those without decent connection speeds ? I dunno, seems like it :/

To stay on topic, thanks for this awesome update, regarding the endgame, the spaceship is a must! :D But the rich bastard thing, I don't like it, either. How about something more open, like this planet is really hostile, so no way you are staying here(if that's what we still want ?a new home ?) so you are packing for the next trip to somewhere.. Factorio 2 :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think, because of this and some other posts, that the problem with this is, because of using UDP only, and building an own reliability layer around it.

TCP isn't easy to implement!

It is quite complex and has many, many small tweaks. Engineers have put hundreds of man-years into it, to make it reliable. Routers, the whole internet, handles TCP in parts completely different, than UDP. And there is no easy way around it. It has a reason, that there is TCP and UDP, cause the second has not this overhead.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

ssilk wrote:Routers, the whole internet, handles TCP in parts completely different, than UDP.
Routers handle IP packets, they typically don't care if an IP packet contains TCP, UDP, ICMP or any of the other 100+ possible protocols. The biggest differences between TCP and UDP handling are at the sending and receiving ends, where TCP offers reliable packet transfers handled by the OS, while UDP leaves the reliability up to the application. For realtime applications, TCP has the disadvantage that the OS will hang on to received packets until all expected packets have been received before sending the info on to the application. UDP simply sends every received packet to the application, so that application can then decide if any missing information needs to be resent or if it can be covered in another way (for instance, many MMO type games tell the clients when a player starts and stops moving, but they'll also periodically send absolute locations - if a start or stop packet gets missed, the location update will fix this so there's no need to ensure reliable delivery of the starts and stops).

UDP in general is probably a bit more complex to implement, mostly because of this extra reliability layer that needs to be added. For Factorio, it's quite possible UDP is actually simpler to implement, because you don't need to take the OS' interference into account.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Those even considering TCP as a valid alternative are clearly either ignorant to it's inherently decreased throughput, or insensitive to those that would be more adversely affected by making the connection of the game even more demanding.

In other news, Main site is down.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

The whole multiplayer is not finished. It's an early alpha. There are bugs. There are problems with latency. There's no mechanism to hide this latency. Please stop discussing this whole things. It's doesn't make sense to argue about that. The whole lag problems will be solved as soon as we have some machanism to hide the latency from the player. Until then, we should just accept it and wait for the devs to bring us the glory of version 0.12.

The main site is really down. Hm, well. Hopefully no DOS attack.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

aRatNamedSammy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by aRatNamedSammy »

as im not perfect in english, i ll try to do my best to explain my opinion !!

Factorio dev team, i must say, guys, YOU ROCK :) !!

as i can see on factorio since i have buy it, you are creating a game of QUALITY, like those we had see on the old nintendo's console.
Factorio is not finished, and i consider already FAR in quality range compared to many BIG games on the market right now.
EA , UBISOFT, and all others, may have big staff, money capacity.. they only care about making money. I know, we all need money, we all work for money, but they count on making money over consumers stupidity!
I admit, i wont buy any of their games for that reason, i prefer to copy it ;) lol !!
Factorio, I HAVE NO REGRET AT ALL TO HAVE PAY FOR IT :) :D
continue your great work!!!
AND IF ONE DAY YOU MAKE AN OTHER GAME OR A SEQUEL, YOU CAN COUNT ON ME ;)
Teeth for Two (so sorry my bad english)

krux02
Inserter
Inserter

Post by krux02 »

for me it is now first time playing with spitters and tanks. Despite the fact that I generally like the Idea of a tank, I am not really happy, how it is implemented. There is only one tank, that is the tank. No way to further improve the tank during the game. No way it increase the speed of the tank. No way to mount more weapons. no way to fire all weapons at the same time. No way to fire the most powerful weapon in the game (shotgun) from the tank. No way of building a robot controlled army of tanks. I have a very high density in enemy bases, but the tank is not helping here. I am faster, more agile and have more fire power without it. Only when fighting Big worms that are not surrounded by nests, the tank has it's use.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

krux02 wrote:for me it is now first time playing with spitters and tanks. Despite the fact that I generally like the Idea of a tank, I am not really happy, how it is implemented. There is only one tank, that is the tank. No way to further improve the tank during the game. No way it increase the speed of the tank. No way to mount more weapons. no way to fire all weapons at the same time. No way to fire the most powerful weapon in the game (shotgun) from the tank. No way of building a robot controlled army of tanks. I have a very high density in enemy bases, but the tank is not helping here. I am faster, more agile and have more fire power without it. Only when fighting Big worms that are not surrounded by nests, the tank has it's use.
Well, first version is first version. Once we have 3 more programmers we can start with second or third versions of things :)

Return to “Releases”