Version 0.17.29

Information about releases and roadmap.
Shadewing
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Version 0.17.29

Post by Shadewing »

Here is a link to my suggestion for bringing back obstacle avoidance without the loss of most of the simplified planner benefits.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69448

Sente
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Sente »

I would also like to have obstacle avoidance for ghost rail-building back. I really appreciated that feature quite a bit. I use it pretty extensively in my games.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Is it correct that u cant place blueprint books in blueprint books? Or is it a bug?

mward
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Suggested solution for rail placement issues

Post by mward »

1. Clicking without shift:
    1. If the whole rail is within reach: direct build mode
    2. When any part of the rail gets out of reach, automatically switch to ghost build mode while avoiding obstacles"
  2. Clicking with shift or pressing shift enters ghost build mode while removing obstacles. Releasing shift switches back to the other mode (avoiding obstacles either direct build or ghost build depending on the range)
If you really must place a short length of ghost which is within reach, and do not want to direct build it, then you simply have to move out of range first.

This allows cliff avoiders to carry on avoiding cliffs, but also follows the player's natural instinct to press shift when they are ghost buiding and see an obstacle that they want the bots to remove.

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Suggested solution for rail placement issues

Post by leadraven »

mward wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:52 am
    2. When any part of the rail gets out of reach, automatically switch to ghost build mode while avoiding obstacles"
  2. Clicking with shift or pressing shift enters ghost build mode while removing obstacles. Releasing shift switches back to the other mode (avoiding obstacles either direct build or ghost build depending on the range)
If you really must place a short length of ghost which is within reach, and do not want to direct build it, then you simply have to move out of range first.

This allows cliff avoiders to carry on avoiding cliffs, but also follows the player's natural instinct to press shift when they are ghost buiding and see an obstacle that they want the bots to remove.
It is a terrible idea to involve reach into building control.

Shingen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Shingen »

leadraven wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:55 am
mward wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:52 am

It is a terrible idea to involve reach into building control.
I agree it's a bad idea, and also that doesn't solve the issue of having too many different building states, which is what Wube seem to have wanted to simpllify.
Which, btw., i also think was a bad idea.

#TeamMoreOptions

mward
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mward »

Shingen wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:14 am
I agree it's a bad idea,
Why is it a bad idea? What is bad about it?

With any other blueprint placing, if I see an obstacle I hold shift to place the blueprint while removing the obstacle. This makes the same function work with rails.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

mward wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:29 pm
Shingen wrote:
I agree it's a bad idea,

With any other blueprint placing, if I see an obstacle I hold shift to place the blueprint while removing the obstacle. This makes the same function work with rails.
Rails are fundamentally different than all other objects, in that you can (and actually must in some circumstances) place them by using a unique mode. It's reasonable to expect that mode has other unique qualities to make it work better.

Shingen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Shingen »

mward wrote:
Shingen wrote:
I agree it's a bad idea,

that "I agree it's a bad idea" was a response to involving REACH into building and now you're talking about something completely different.
firstly, reach is not involved in any other building IIRC (besides obviously being/not being able to manually place something further away),
secondly, it already worked in such a way that holding shift placed a ghost and marked obstacles for deconstruction.

if anything, they actually made it work the same as other objects that without shift you always place that object manually, while with it you place a ghost and decon obstacles.
the problem is, we think they shouldn't.

but i understand their point, and i think i would personally prefer to have a separate "rail planner" item with appropriate options/checkboxes to remove obstacles or not (and also options to build 2 parallel rails with automatic signals etc.), and keep the rail item to work like any regular item, or leave it working the way it works now.

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

Shingen wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:07 pm
mward wrote:
Shingen wrote:
I agree it's a bad idea,

[...]

but i understand their point, and i think i would personally prefer to have a separate "rail planner" item with appropriate options/checkboxes to remove obstacles or not (and also options to build 2 parallel rails with automatic signals etc.), and keep the rail item to work like any regular item, or leave it working the way it works now.
Anything but another item :? I'd rather they make an option in the options -> other menu to have the old way or the new way then have another item in my already too small inventory, especially at the start - or they can add a button to the new addition to the quickbar to toggle that behaviour
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Planners don't necessarily take space : they can be kept in your blueprint library.
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:33 am
Planners don't necessarily take space : they can be kept in your blueprint library.
Hahahah lol, u can, but they loose your settings (dont know which genius thought that this would be a good idea)

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Well, then they shouldn't. (Hopefully this will changed in the current blueprint rework.)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

I also hope. It makes so much sense. You have upgrade and remove next to your hotbar, can change the settings (and they get saved) if you want to have multiple settings, you just drop it into your inventar (like its now). Problem solved. :o

Return to “Releases”