Information about releases and roadmap.
brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: 1.0 without endgame?

Post by brunzenstein »

Klonan wrote:
RaviorMetal wrote:I've a question here.
In the first post of this thread was said, that 0.16 would become v1.0 when its stable.
Is this such a good Idea? As far as I know, the endgame is still missing and the game is simply ending with a dialogbox telling you your stats. I think this could be a disappointment for people who think its a full game.
0.16 might include a new endgame
Why not go underground on another planet?
A lot of stuff (drilling hard soil, needed air support, waste management e.g.) would bring invigorating aspects to the game

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

brunzenstein wrote:Why not go underground on another planet?
A lot of stuff (drilling hard soil, needed air support, waste management e.g.) would bring invigorating aspects to the game
For the same reason why there hasn't been any proper endgame the past years... they had no time to get to it due to fixing all the bugs and other quality of life additions/changes that became necessary after opening one can of worms after another with each major update...

Which is also the reason why I wouldn't get too hyped about Klonan leaking that there might be something for 0.16... So it may also be that there won't be anything (or at least nothing over-the-top) like the last time they became too overconfident about the time and effort it takes to do certain things (Remember the Space Platform from 2 years ago?). Don't forget that they want to be done with 0.16/1.0 this year (I pretty much expect December to see the initial experimental 0.16/1.0 release at the earliest with the first half of 2018 being dedicated to bug fixing of 0.16/1.0 before becoming stable somewhere in summer 2018, everything else would be self-deception when considering how long it took for past updates)...

So I don't think that they will add something that may have major influence on the game eventually requiring additional updates to get everything fixed and into a working state, which your suggestion would probably be because of how the game was not designed to handle multiple planets or layers (yeah, I know some mods go above and beyond, but they feel strange) and so it would require a ton of additional necessary new items and GUI improvements and changes to underlying code to make all that possible... which would rather be suicide when done with the final update of a game.

That said, maybe for a paid expansion or Factorio 2 in the future maybe, but surely not in 0.16/1.0. But I'm also sure that the people at Wube have had enough of the Factorio project already at least for the time being and would like to go on with another project... and I can't blame them because they really deserve a break and to move on because they invested more time in one awesome game already than most other indie-developers would. (not even to speak about big game companies which only dedicate 1 year to a game and then abandon it after release, with all the DLCs being co-developed before the initial release already and which are just delayed over the course of an additional year to make the artificial appearance that they are keeping the game alive even if 95% of the team moved on to another project after the initial game hits gold-status)

People may call me a party pooper for smothering the hypetrain before it departs all they want, but at some point we, the community, have to get serious and realistic about our expectations.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

MeduSalem wrote: That said, maybe for a paid expansion or Factorio 2 in the future maybe, but surely not in 0.16/1.0. But I'm also sure that the people at Wube have had enough of the Factorio project already at least for the time being and would like to go on with another project... and I can't blame them because they really deserve a break and to move on because they invested more time in one awesome game already than most other indie-developers would. (not even to speak about big game companies which only dedicate 1 year to a game and then abandon it after release, with all the DLCs being co-developed before the initial release already and which are just delayed over the course of an additional year to make the artificial appearance that they are keeping the game alive even if 95% of the team moved on to another project after the initial game hits gold-status)

People may call me a party pooper for smothering the hypetrain before it departs all they want, but at some point we, the community, have to get serious and realistic about our expectations.
Sorry to agree with you 100%
Probably the 0.15 may be the last version to see the light
Chances are also Wube may let Factorio with a paid 1.0 version stand as it is turning to a new project after getting tired with - - who knows...?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

brunzenstein wrote:
MeduSalem wrote: That said, maybe for a paid expansion or Factorio 2 in the future maybe, but surely not in 0.16/1.0. But I'm also sure that the people at Wube have had enough of the Factorio project already at least for the time being and would like to go on with another project... and I can't blame them because they really deserve a break and to move on because they invested more time in one awesome game already than most other indie-developers would. (not even to speak about big game companies which only dedicate 1 year to a game and then abandon it after release, with all the DLCs being co-developed before the initial release already and which are just delayed over the course of an additional year to make the artificial appearance that they are keeping the game alive even if 95% of the team moved on to another project after the initial game hits gold-status)

Chances are also Wube may let Factorio with a paid 1.0 version stand as it is turning to a new project after getting tired with - - who knows...?
0.15 definitely won't be the last version, we have too many things we want to add, and the team is still passionate about making a great game

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Klonan wrote:
brunzenstein wrote:

0.15 definitely won't be the last version, we have too many things we want to add, and the team is still passionate about making a great game
Can't speak for you guys but as far as I know as long as new blood keep pouring into Factorio then Factorio grows. I hope even when a time comes when things might slow down Factorio will get expansions. This would be like well were done and we are not bring in enough monthly to keep paying the devs blah blah were going to make another game/project instead I hope there be like some new expansions / features added into the game at cost because I think most people would be willing pitch into it.

This was the 2nd cheapest games of all time for play time I got out of it. Minecraft being the first since I got that at $10 was factorio originally $20?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Kane wrote:Can't speak for you guys but as far as I know as long as new blood keep pouring into Factorio then Factorio grows. I hope even when a time comes when things might slow down Factorio will get expansions. This would be like well were done and we are not bring in enough monthly to keep paying the devs blah blah were going to make another game/project instead I hope there be like some new expansions / features added into the game at cost because I think most people would be willing pitch into it.

This was the 2nd cheapest games of all time for play time I got out of it. Minecraft being the first since I got that at $10 was factorio originally $20?
We have some plans for DLC, or a free update
Nothing is set in stone, but we have a lot ideas for factorio content that would that would fit nicely in something like an expansion pack or a 1.1 release

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Klonan wrote:We have some plans for DLC, or a free update
Nothing is set in stone, but we have a lot ideas for factorio content that would that would fit nicely in something like an expansion pack or a 1.1 release
Sounds freaking great. I'm chomping at the bit for .15 and glad to hear there is plenty more to come...
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Klonan wrote:
Kane wrote:Can't speak for you guys but as far as I know as long as new blood keep pouring into Factorio then Factorio grows. I hope even when a time comes when things might slow down Factorio will get expansions. This would be like well were done and we are not bring in enough monthly to keep paying the devs blah blah were going to make another game/project instead I hope there be like some new expansions / features added into the game at cost because I think most people would be willing pitch into it.

We have some plans for DLC, or a free update
Sounds great :) I can't wait for the future even though I'm overwhelmed with the current content and mods and have enough fun here for years to come haha. It's almost like the MMORPG feeling of lots of content but in MMORPG's you hit end game and get bored these days. This end game just never ends.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Klonan wrote: We have some plans for DLC, or a free update
Nice to hear the message that your carrying on.
We wish you success, and with that also us - the community :-)

Jan11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Factorio Roadmap for 0.15 + 0.16

Post by Jan11 »

Shut up and take my money ^^ :D :D :D :D :D

Tenevie
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Tenevie »

Actually, I hope you make it a DLC.

I'm stunned with the amount of updates and extra content you guys keep putting out. Some compensation for the effort may be taken once every now and then. And damn, I keep playing this game.... Already at 1000 hours of gameplay and it doesn't seem to end any time soon.

Keep up the fantastic work and many thanks from my side.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Please give me a way to pay you guys extra!

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

PacifyerGrey wrote:
Please give me a way to pay you guys extra!
there is a option to give a tip right here:

https://www.factorio.com/buy

Nich
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nich »

To be honest spending an extra 20$ means very little to the success of the game. what would be more valuable is buy a copy for a friend you know will enjoy the game. If they do ask them to buy a copy for another friend. Free advertising by word of mouth and the endless revenue stream that comes from it is much more valuable.

Personally I don't care how long the .15 takes but I really do enjoy the FFFs so I can see progress

troytech
Inserter
Inserter

Post by troytech »

when can we expect 0.15? i thought it would enter open beta today but only an announcement today.

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

troytech wrote:when can we expect 0.15? i thought it would enter open beta today but only an announcement today.
I'm guessing either march 20 or 27
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

rolfl
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by rolfl »

Every time I see the "Releases" section in the forms in bold orange - with unread content, I think - Maybe it's out!

But then I find it's just someone in this roadmap thread.... :(

Maybe someone else out there will think this post is a announcement of a new 0.15... sorry.

As for the roadmap, I encourage the devs to consider a mouse-only interface option.... My left-hand is normally incapacitated when I play... the stupid cat lies over it, and, well, although I can do the wasd OK, it's the `p` and other keys that irritate my cat.

Thanks for an awesome game.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

Probably its WAAAY too early to worry but paid DLC would probably be pretty bad for community in sense that it'd split mods by according to who owns or doesn't own that DLC.

Personally, I'd get the DLC anyway and I'd be willing to pay way more for it than would be rational by any means. Cractorio addiction is a bitch.

Verbatim17
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Verbatim17 »

What's the point of calling 0.16 and then it become 1.0?
Isn't easier to add high res stuff during the 0.15.x releases compared to the smaller 0.16 release?

Can we expect to see more planned features after the 1.0 release?

I appreciate the developers work on this game. :D

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Verbatim17 wrote:What's the point of calling 0.16 and then it become 1.0??
The point is to not give an experimental version the version number 1.0, 0.16.0 will not become 1.0, 0.16.38 or something like that will.
Verbatim17 wrote:Isn't easier to add high res stuff during the 0.15.x releases compared to the smaller 0.16 release?
The content for .16 is not final yet.
Verbatim17 wrote:Can we expect to see more planned features after the 1.0 release?
Have a look at Klonans latest posts.

Return to “Releases”