Factorio Roadmap for 1.0.

Information about releases and roadmap.
hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Factorio Roadmap for 0.15 + 0.16

Post by hoho »

NorwegianBlue wrote:If you haven't launched 1000 rockets and built a >1RPM base... there's a lot more fun to be had.
I have around 1600 hours on the game on Steam + >1000 hours before it.

In total I've launched three rockets, all after achievements were added (one for thanks for fish, one for complete without solar/lasers/handcrafting, one for speedrun). There are a LOT of ways to play the game even without going into huge scale bases. Mods change the experience drastically.
UniPer wrote:That's exactly what I wanted to say! That's my issue with this game...once you figured out 'how', it's not challenging anymore.
Trying to have a base at that scale function propely with the massive amount of stuff flowing through it is a whole different ballgame compared to getting one rocket up and running.

One "cure" for rapidly depleting resource patches is to cover them sparsely with miners - not right next to each other but with next closest one at 2 tile distance. For added benefit throw in some production modules. Sure, power usage will go kind of insane but those patches will last a LOT longer leaving you much more time for dealing with production over finding more resource patches.

Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ohz »

Attal wrote:
lollibast wrote:
xng wrote:If 0.15 is not released soon this community will collaps in on itself, creating a vortex sucking each and everyone in, placing them in a hostile world where they need to mine iron and copper all day long and hide from biters.
fine for me but I'll be damned if there is no uranium to mine on that world
you can check your world for uranium deposits in this list :)

Dude you made my day <3
I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

liij
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by liij »

In lategame even on i7 3,8Ghz cpus pollution calculations are slowing down the game. I have an idea how to fight this (developers most propably know how to fight it better). If pollution us bigger than 10000=10k, in calculations gmae could calculate 10k instead of 10463. Maybe my idea would slow down calculations even more XD. But calculating large numbers is taking so much cpu while playing in big factories... Maybe there is a way to simplify those big numbers of pollution value. :geek:

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

liij wrote:In lategame even on i7 3,8Ghz cpus pollution calculations are slowing down the game.
I *highly* doubt it's calculations on pollution that cause the slowdown. Dealing with pollution should take fraction of what it takes to deal with, say, inserters.
liij wrote:If pollution us bigger than 10000=10k, in calculations gmae could calculate 10k instead of 10463. Maybe my idea would slow down calculations even more XD. But calculating large numbers is taking so much cpu while playing in big factories... Maybe there is a way to simplify those big numbers of pollution value. :geek:
No, that's not how math works on computers.

Assuming pollution is stored in 32bit integer, it makes no difference if it calculates with values <100 or up to around 2 or 4 billion. It all takes exactly the same amount of computing time. Adding in special checks for how big the numbers are, now THAT would be expensive.

Schorty
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schorty »

hoho wrote:
liij wrote:In lategame even on i7 3,8Ghz cpus pollution calculations are slowing down the game.
I *highly* doubt it's calculations on pollution that cause the slowdown. Dealing with pollution should take fraction of what it takes to deal with, say, inserters.
liij wrote:If pollution us bigger than 10000=10k, in calculations gmae could calculate 10k instead of 10463. Maybe my idea would slow down calculations even more XD. But calculating large numbers is taking so much cpu while playing in big factories... Maybe there is a way to simplify those big numbers of pollution value. :geek:
No, that's not how math works on computers.

Assuming pollution is stored in 32bit integer, it makes no difference if it calculates with values <100 or up to around 2 or 4 billion. It all takes exactly the same amount of computing time. Adding in special checks for how big the numbers are, now THAT would be expensive.
Also saying number >10k are "large" is hillarious :D
Tired of not being able to reduce the pollution? Try the Air-Filter-Mod
With this, you are able to use the pollution levels in your circuit network: Pollution detector

rater193
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rater193 »

slpwnd wrote:Update 12th April 2017: Nearing the release of 0.15 we have edited the roadmap to reflect the current plan for 0.15 and 0.16, as some things had to be pushed back, and other features were added.

Not everything we want to do is there, basically the main points. Also we can't guarantee we will be able to implement everything we mentioned (golden rule: everything takes longer than expected).

Factorio 0.15
Planned:
  • Nuclear power
  • Blueprint preservation (Export/import blueprints)
  • Update optimizations (belts + pipes)
  • Research Revolution
  • Combat balance
  • Liquid wagon + universal barreling
  • New 3x2 boiler
  • Map interaction improvements, map tags and 'zoom to map'
  • High res graphics introduction (This means just some parts of the game will be in high res in this version)
  • Circuit network additions, improvements and optimizations
  • New terrain
  • Scenario pack extension - Wave defense and PvP scenario
  • First set of interactive mini tutorials
Factorio 0.16 (This is planned to become 1.0 when stabilized)
Planned:
  • Dirty mining. (Way to get more resources from mining posts at a cost of additional industry, logistics requirements and investment)
  • More high res stuff
  • GUI re-skin and possible improvements
  • Allow loading games with different mod settings (and automatically download the mods if necessary)
siiiick! i cant wait :D
Last edited by Kayanor on Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed part "The Past" from the quoted text

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Schorty wrote:Also saying number >10k are "large" is hillarious :D
Well, >10k rockets launched is quite large. :D
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Tricorius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tricorius »

Nova wrote:
Schorty wrote:Also saying number >10k are "large" is hillarious :D
Well, >10k rockets launched is quite large. :D
Your processor doesn't think so... ;)

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jon8RFC »

I see that the main post has been updated to have 0.15 in "the past", but it looks like the roadmap for 0.15 still shows belt/pipe optimizations listed. Is that going to take place in 0.16 or is it still appropriate to expect it in 0.15?

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Artman40 »

The "Dirty mining" mechanic could be good way to make it so that in biterless world, the best option wouldn't be to go as far away from the center as possible.

Aardwolf
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aardwolf »

I for one am dissapointed with removing dirry mining. It would have been an interesting new mechanic to make a factory running on infinite but slow and complex to gather resources

Nexarius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nexarius »

slpwnd wrote:Factorio 0.16
Planned:
  • Dirty mining. (Way to get more resources from mining posts at a cost of additional industry, logistics requirements and investment)
    We decided to not do this, the mining productivity research seems to be solving the problem.
  • More high res stuff
  • GUI re-skin and possible improvements
  • Allow loading games with different mod settings (and automatically download the mods if necessary)
Why is dirty mining grayed out like everything in the past?

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Nexarius wrote:Why is dirty mining grayed out like everything in the past?
Like it says in the text: We decided to not do this, the mining productivity research seems to be solving the problem.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

scrangos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by scrangos »

daniel34 wrote:
Like it says in the text: We decided to not do this, the mining productivity research seems to be solving the problem.
nooooo, i was looking forward to this so much

dir94
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dir94 »

daniel34 wrote:
Personally, I think dirty mining could be more interesting mechanic than productivity upgrades. Productivity upgrades ruins perfect ratio layouts, because after every upgrade ratio changes and if you go on researching it lasts forever. This makes me not research this at all, because it just ruins my feeling of perfectly built factory.

Assuming dirty mining is just another way to mine resources (harder but more efficient) it will be a great late game upgrade. You research dirty mining (maybe some additional researches increasing efficiency via additional mechanic like kovarex process). You calculate perfect ratio. You upgrade all your mining posts.

tl;dr: mining productivity upgrades ruins ratios and sense of perfect factory, dirty mining is way more interesting way to upgrade mining in late game, just as nuclear power did it

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

dir94 wrote:tl;dr: mining productivity upgrades ruins ratios and sense of perfect factory
How? All it does is make you mine ores a little bit faster per-miner. I've never heard anyone designing their factory to perfectly match the rate of ore mining, probably due to how often it changes when deposits run out over time.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

People see say 800k and go based on that. Now they have to do extra math :P I actually understand it.

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Artman40 »

I would still want to see dirty mining. Mining productivity does not solve the problem. Mining productivity research seems to take a lot of resources that nullify

Mining productivity also is less interesting. Despite how important mining is, the mining tech and setups never change once you've got electric mining drills (with the exception of uranium).

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Dirty mining and mining productivity research are two solutions to the same one problem - lategame resource consumption. Since one solution got implemented, the devs don't feel like the other is necessary. This is true - but it doesn't necessarily mean dirty mining wouldn't add anything to the game. It could be an optional path for the player to take, or even supplementary to mining productivity.

On the flipside, it would take precious dev time, playtesting and balancing, and perhaps combined with other factors behind the scenes it could seriously delay the game's release, which was just now finally beginning to loom over the horizon.

My opinion is that this particular problem is solved and the time is short, therefore, as cool as it would be, dirty mining shouldn't be pursued before 1.0 release. It could be always a part of post-release content update among with other cool features.

Nexarius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nexarius »

It would be cool if you added something like the mods do in minecraft.
1 Ore into a (slow)macerator -> 2 crushed ore and those can be put into an oven for 1 plate

Return to “Releases”