Information about releases and roadmap.
studix2002
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Version 0.17.14

Post by studix2002 »

jim lee wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:49 pm
Wow! I found the tool bar confusing. What is this Alt view thing? And the personal robot? I click them and don't notice any change. When I do a "copy" I get a blueprint, this is good and expected.. But then I can't get rid of it! It's like playing with ink, it gets all over. Pretty soon there's blueprint copies everywhere! The hand icon thing is nice, but in this new version you have a black hand over a really dark background. A little more contrast would be nice.

The "red" blueprint. Why can't we just select something with a rectangle and click "delete"? What is the purpose of a red-blueprint?

-jim lee
Alt mode enables and disables the icons on the assemblers so u can see what they are making,

the personal robot, enables and disable your personal robots when you get them...you need to have an armor equipped with a personal roboport to have them...the main purpose of this is so you stop your personal robots filing your inventory when you deconstruct something and instead the base bots will do the work.

When you place a blueprint, everything is ghosted and bots will (if in range build it for you) to clear it use the red deconstruction planner

jim lee
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jim lee »

studix2002 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:23 pm
jim lee wrote:
Wow! I found the tool bar confusing. What is this Alt view thing? And the personal robot? I click them and don't notice any change. When I do a "copy" I get a blueprint, this is good and expected.. But then I can't get rid of it! It's like playing with ink, it gets all over. Pretty soon there's blueprint copies everywhere! The hand icon thing is nice, but in this new version you have a black hand over a really dark background. A little more contrast would be nice.

The "red" blueprint. Why can't we just select something with a rectangle and click "delete"? What is the purpose of a red-blueprint?

-jim lee
Alt mode enables and disables the icons on the assemblers so u can see what they are making,

the personal robot, enables and disable your personal robots when you get them...you need to have an armor equipped with a personal roboport to have them...the main purpose of this is so you stop your personal robots filing your inventory when you deconstruct something and instead the base bots will do the work.

When you place a blueprint, everything is ghosted and bots will (if in range build it for you) to clear it use the red deconstruction planner
Well I see now why the personal robot thing didn't do anything. I only use the personal ones. So it made no difference. As for the "deconstruction planner" I still can't see a use for it. Sure, it marks things to "deconstruct" but so would a dragged rectangle and a quick click to "delete". Then I don't have this red thing stuck to my fingers that I have to wipe off on something.

Don't get me wrong, I love the entire blueprint thing. One of my favorite features of the game. I just hate how, once I use one, its like its stuck to my fingers. Then, in my ignorance, I end up with a bunch of copies of it everywhere before I figure out how to git rid of it. The deconstruction one gives me the same "stick to your fingers" troubles. But to me, it seems unnecessary.

Maybe I need a "drop blueprint" button?

-jim lee

studix2002
Inserter
Inserter

Post by studix2002 »

jim lee wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:38 pm
studix2002 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:23 pm
jim lee wrote:

-jim lee

Well I see now why the personal robot thing didn't do anything for me. I only use the personal ones. So it made no difference to me. As for the "deconstruction planner" I still can't see a use for it. Sure, it marks things to "deconstruct" but so would a dragged rectangle and a quick click to "delete". Then I don't have this red thing stuck to me I have to wipe off on something.

Don't get me wrong, I love the entire blueprint thing. One of my favorite things about the game. I just hate how, once I use one, its like its stuck to my fingers. Then, in my ignorance, I end up with a bunch of copies of it everywhere before I figure out how to git rid of it. The deconstruction one gives me the same "stick to your fingers" troubles. But it seems unnecessary to me.

-jim lee
If you right click on the deconstruction planner you can set it to only deconstruct certain items by setting either the whitelist or blacklist 1 decons the item selected and the other decons everything but that item...to delete the planner right click on it and click the red trashcan in the top right corner

studix2002
Inserter
Inserter

Post by studix2002 »

As you progress through the game everything will become apparent

MageKing17
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MageKing17 »

jim lee wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:38 pm
Don't get me wrong, I love the entire blueprint thing. One of my favorite features of the game. I just hate how, once I use one, its like its stuck to my fingers. Then, in my ignorance, I end up with a bunch of copies of it everywhere before I figure out how to git rid of it. The deconstruction one gives me the same "stick to your fingers" troubles. But to me, it seems unnecessary.

-jim lee
Hit the "clear cursor" key, which defaults to "Q" (at least on QWERTY). As long as you didn't grab the blueprint/deconstruction planner from your inventory in the first place, it won't go there when you clear your cursor.

jim lee
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jim lee »

studix2002 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:44 pm
As you progress through the game everything will become apparent
I've noticed that. But what it's really doing is putting a big, possibly unnecessary, learning block in front of potential new customers.
Hit the "clear cursor" key, which defaults to "Q" (at least on QWERTY). As long as you didn't grab the blueprint/deconstruction planner from your inventory in the first place, it won't go there when you clear your cursor.
Oh! Thanks for that!

-jim lee

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

Yeah the clear cursor keybinding is pretty much the most important keybinding in the game after WASD. Lots of issues people seem to have with the UI would be solved if they knew this was intended to be used so much...

jim lee
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jim lee »

OH? And WASD would be..?

-jim lee

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Like he said, most important key binding after WASD. So, WASD is more important.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

jim lee wrote:
Wow! I found the tool bar confusing.
There should probably be a tutorial for it. But in lieu of that...
jim lee wrote:
What is this Alt view thing?
The best thing ever. Stand near some off your assembly machines and toggle it to see what it does.
jim lee wrote:
And the personal robot? I click them and don't notice any change.
I think that turns off your personal roboport, or logistic requests. Dunno haven't needed it yet.
jim lee wrote:
When I do a "copy" I get a blueprint, this is good and expected.. But then I can't get rid of it! It's like playing with ink, it gets all over. Pretty soon there's blueprint copies everywhere!
You can hit q or a hotbar number to clear it.
jim lee wrote:
There isn't functionality in the game to just select stuff with a click and drag. Think of this tool as a way to go into deconstruct mode.

studix2002
Inserter
Inserter

Post by studix2002 »

Plenty of videos out there on YouTube or live streams on Twitch and most streamers or chat members will answer any questions without guessing... I recommend watching colonelwill on twitch over 9000 hours in the game and many of his followers with 1000+ hours that will help

Return to “Releases”