Mike5000
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Version 0.17.9

Post by Mike5000 »

cybersteel8 wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:37 am

Code: Select all

Error Util.cpp:83: Error when opening /opt/factorio/factorio/bin/x64/factorio for reading: Too many open files
I'm not exactly sure how the delta package is applied to the game files so I'm unsure how else to help, but I'm happy to bork up my installation for Wube if they need more information!
If you wouldn't mind posting the output of "ulimit -a" that might contain a clue.

foobar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by foobar »

Problem deleted. User error not a trains introduced thing.
Note to self : dont have a unreachable train station when you are deliberately turning off all other stations with the same name.
Last edited by foobar on Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlackHat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BlackHat »

I am still on 0.17.4 (Doing the download Zip from Website. I am not on Steam)

I see the Autoupdater is fixed. Does that mean from .8->.9 is fixed? Or is it ok to run the autoupdater on a .4 install?

Dimava
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dimava »

BlackHat wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:13 am

I see the Autoupdater is fixed. Does that mean from .8->.9 is fixed? Or is it ok to run the autoupdater on a .4 install?
You may see awailable updates on https://factorio.com/get-available-versions actually it requires credentials, but not for this case

{"core-linux_headless64":[{"from":"0.12.10","to":"0.12.11"}...,
{"from":"0.16.9","to":"0.16.10"},{"from":"0.17.7","to":"0.17.8"},
{"from":"0.17.8","to":"0.17.9"},{"stable":"0.16.51"}]}
There is no updates before ..7->..8

cybersteel8
Inserter
Inserter

Post by cybersteel8 »

Mike5000 wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:43 am
If you wouldn't mind posting the output of "ulimit -a" that might contain a clue.

$ ulimit -a
core file size          (blocks, -c) unlimited
data seg size           (kbytes, -d) unlimited
scheduling priority             (-e) 0
file size               (blocks, -f) unlimited
pending signals                 (-i) 31371
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 64
max memory size         (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                      (-n) 1024
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority              (-r) 0
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
cpu time               (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes              (-u) 31371
virtual memory          (kbytes, -v) unlimited
file locks                      (-x) unlimited

csduff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by csduff »

foobar wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:54 am
Problem deleted. User error not a trains introduced thing.
Note to self : dont have a unreachable train station when you are deliberately turning off all other stations with the same name.
I used to have that problem too. Every once in a while, I would find a train in the middle of my factory saying it has no route and when I look at the train it has all disabled stations. Oops. At least now if that happens you can find the train remotely and just ctrl-click it to an out of the way spot. I do so love that feature.

Hiladdar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hiladdar »

Nuhll,

Regarding your statement,
That does not change anything about the bad connection between me and the servers the cdn throws at me... also i will never use a vpn just to get normal speeds...:
What VPN stands for is Virtual Private Network. What it does is encrypt all your network traffic from your computer to the VPN server and change your IP address to the address of VPN's server. The physical connection is still through you ISP, but your ISP should not be able to read your your now encrypted internet traffic. The speed, both upload and download does not change between you and your ISP. If you had an optimum connection to a server, with VPN you will see a slightly slower speed to the web site you are trying to read. If your issue was due to your traffic being routed through the USA, then by lowering the number hops between your computer and what you are trying to connect to will result in most likely a more reliable connection.

In your situation, if you connect to a VPN in Europe, what will happen is your IP address will change to a European IP address, and your traffic will not be routed through the USA. Since in your original post you stated that your range of IP addresses was assigned to a block of USA IP addresses when you first would connect to any subdomain within factorio.com, (from here, I will refer to the sub domains as xxx) there was a check against your IP address, and the connection was set to a cloud within the USA. With VPN the cloud connection would be set within Europe, determined by the IP address of the VPN server, hence probably less hops to xxx.factorio.com.

The assignment of blocks of IP addressees is probably done by the company which provides internet service to Webe, and they may have a mirror of xxx.factorio.com on some of the clouds in the the USA.

If you got a bad connection between yourself and your ISP, it is probably your ISP provider you need to call. They should have tools to check quality of the physical between your residence and their servers. Also the modems that most ISPs provide are fairy cheaply manufactured, and after a while, usually 2-3 years, need to be replaced. What happens is dust can get into it, and that dust causes the modem to overhead, causing the modem to reset, with an intermittent loss to the internet. That has happened twice to me, and may be causing me problems again. Also, the switches and routers used by your ISP, regardless of how well they are maintained, will eventually go bad. Likewise, a configuration setting one one of the routers or switches may of gotten corrupted. I have had to deal with all of the issues, mentioned both at work, and for family identifying and working to resolve the connection issues in the past.

Hiladdar

Hexalan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Hexalan »

Have you all slept since release??? The shear amount of bug-fixes that have been completed and the rapid-fire releases are just amazing! :o

Keep up the good work and thanks for making such an incredible game! :D :D

Henry Loenwind
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Henry Loenwind »

Hiladdar wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:22 pm
That does not change anything about the bad connection between me and the servers the cdn throws at me... also i will never use a vpn just to get normal speeds...:
What VPN stands for is...
The issue here is that Telekom does not peer at the central exchange (they deem themselves to big for it). So the route to a download server in the US probably is the fastest route...

That's a common issue with German Telekom. Many targets in Europe are routed indirectly, e.g. via the US. Their answer to this always is "the other network has to pay us for a direct link"...

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

I know that this kind of issue has been happening with the French Free ISP, first with YouTube, then with Netflix.
AFAIK, using VPN helped to solve the issue in both cases.
(Though it makes no sense to me, since if the upstream link has been saturated, why wasn't the traffic automatically routed through these side-links that the VPNs force ?)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

FactorioBot wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:41 pm
Added LuaSurface::min_brightness read/write.
Thanks!

Cisz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Cisz »

The new landfill and cliff explosives features for bots are great. :D

I used to turn off cliffs and water, because manually cleaning up a vast territory in the endgame is tedious. But now, count me in.

I produced cliff explosives and bots before building my bus on my current save, and I love it. :mrgreen:

BlackHat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BlackHat »

Dimava wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:13 am
BlackHat wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:13 am

You may see awailable updates on https://factorio.com/get-available-versions actually it requires credentials, but not for this case

{"core-linux_headless64":[{"from":"0.12.10","to":"0.12.11"}...,
{"from":"0.16.9","to":"0.16.10"},{"from":"0.17.7","to":"0.17.8"},
{"from":"0.17.8","to":"0.17.9"},{"stable":"0.16.51"}]}
There is no updates before ..7->..8
Ok Thanks I see that now. No Problem I will just get .9 and it should auto update after this.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Nuhll,

Regarding your statement,
What VPN stands for is Virtual Private Network. What it does is encrypt all your network traffic from your computer to the VPN server and change your IP address to the address of VPN's server. The physical connection is still through you ISP, but your ISP should not be able to read your your now encrypted internet traffic. The speed, both upload and download does not change between you and your ISP. If you had an optimum connection to a server, with VPN you will see a slightly slower speed to the web site you are trying to read. If your issue was due to your traffic being routed through the USA, then by lowering the number hops between your computer and what you are trying to connect to will result in most likely a more reliable connection.

In your situation, if you connect to a VPN in Europe, what will happen is your IP address will change to a European IP address, and your traffic will not be routed through the USA. Since in your original post you stated that your range of IP addresses was assigned to a block of USA IP addresses when you first would connect to any subdomain within factorio.com, (from here, I will refer to the sub domains as xxx) there was a check against your IP address, and the connection was set to a cloud within the USA. With VPN the cloud connection would be set within Europe, determined by the IP address of the VPN server, hence probably less hops to xxx.factorio.com.

The assignment of blocks of IP addressees is probably done by the company which provides internet service to Webe, and they may have a mirror of xxx.factorio.com on some of the clouds in the the USA.

If you got a bad connection between yourself and your ISP, it is probably your ISP provider you need to call. They should have tools to check quality of the physical between your residence and their servers. Also the modems that most ISPs provide are fairy cheaply manufactured, and after a while, usually 2-3 years, need to be replaced. What happens is dust can get into it, and that dust causes the modem to overhead, causing the modem to reset, with an intermittent loss to the internet. That has happened twice to me, and may be causing me problems again. Also, the switches and routers used by your ISP, regardless of how well they are maintained, will eventually go bad. Likewise, a configuration setting one one of the routers or switches may of gotten corrupted. I have had to deal with all of the issues, mentioned both at work, and for family identifying and working to resolve the connection issues in the past.

Hiladdar
I know what a VPN is.

I never said that i have an ip from us, I SAID THAT THE CDN RESOLVES to an US adress. So 2 possibilties: 1. the cdn is wrong configured and you get just random locations to download from or 2. the cdn thinks my ".de" adress is from somewhere other

We can just guess, since the devs doesnt seem to have any thoughts about this crazy useless dumb problem. (never responded)
Last edited by nuhll on Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Henry Loenwind wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:52 pm
What VPN stands for is...
The issue here is that Telekom does not peer at the central exchange (they deem themselves to big for it). So the route to a download server in the US probably is the fastest route...

That's a common issue with German Telekom. Many targets in Europe are routed indirectly, e.g. via the US. Their answer to this always is "the other network has to pay us for a direct link"...
???

We are not talking about routing here.

Were talking about if i ping the CDN i get most times US servers back, instead of EU.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

BlueTemplar wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:10 pm
I know that this kind of issue has been happening with the French Free ISP, first with YouTube, then with Netflix.
(Though it makes no sense to me, since if the upstream link has been saturated, why wasn't the traffic automatically routed through these side-links that the VPNs force ?)
It has nothing to do with any of this.

The error is at the side of factorio, their CDN provider.

They should give me EU near links.

But they gave me. Just tested few minutes ago:

1. 162.216.19.218 -> N US -> results in <- 100kbs

2. 45.56.70.196 -> N US -> results in <- 100kbs

3. 212.71.254.238 -> finally a EU GB -> results in <- 50-80mbits

They could fix their CDN or just let us choose to download from (e.g.) eu.dcdn.factorio.com

Its not only happening when you download the fresh games, also mod downloads seems to be affected by this. Sometimes i need to update a mod for 30min or 1h. (below 50kbs)

Eiermann
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Eiermann »

nuhll wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:48 pm
BlueTemplar wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:10 pm

They could fix their CDN or just let us choose to download from (e.g.) eu.dcdn.factorio.com

Its not only happening when you download the fresh games, also mod downloads seems to be affected by this. Sometimes i need to update a mod for 30min or 1h. (below 50kbs)
Can you post a traceroute to the download endpoint?

weaknespase
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by weaknespase »

Result of simple DNS lookup for dcdn.factorio.com:

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    dcdn.factorio.com
Addresses:  2600:3c03::f03c:91ff:fed5:964b
          2a01:7e00::f03c:91ff:fee5:455d
          2a01:7e01::f03c:91ff:fee5:4564
          2600:3c00::f03c:91ff:fee5:6598
The order of server differs if you ask different DNS servers, so I suppose, maybe you should change DNS server you're using? And if it doesn't help, you can always use a manual override for DNS record in hosts.

And as a side note, I have at least 40 mbit/s download speed from any server above (with 139.162.147.142 being the closest and up to 100 mbit/s), so you should really ask provider's tech support about that.
Last edited by weaknespase on Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Mike5000
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mike5000 »

I'm in the US. Factorio's CDN routed me to a Linode in England.

So I tried again from a Linode in the US. Factorio's CDN routed me to a Linode in Germany.

Further research shows a round-robin between:
  • Frankfurt, Germany
  • Leeds, England
  • Los Angeles, California
  • New York, New York
So maybe the CDN layer is still to be implemented.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

weaknespase wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:33 pm

Result of simple DNS lookup for dcdn.factorio.com:

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    dcdn.factorio.com
Addresses:  2600:3c03::f03c:91ff:fed5:964b
          2a01:7e00::f03c:91ff:fee5:455d
          2a01:7e01::f03c:91ff:fee5:4564
          2600:3c00::f03c:91ff:fee5:6598
The order of server differs if you ask different DNS servers, so I suppose, maybe you should change DNS server you're using? And if it doesn't help, you can always use a manual override for DNS record in hosts.

And as a side note, I have at least 40 mbit/s download speed from any server above (with 139.162.147.142 being the closest and up to 100 mbit/s), so you should really ask provider's tech support about that.
I use google DNS 8.8.8.8. I wont change that. The results are the same for all DNS servers probably anyway.

Return to β€œReleases”