Version 0.11.1

Information about releases and roadmap.
Maximus-CZ
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Version 0.11.1

Post by Maximus-CZ »

Yet both are obsolete.

Just because people are lazy to upgrade when its not even safe to stay at XP, doesnt mean that devs should invest their time (desperately needed in other areas of development) into compatibility with system that is being pushed out.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Windows 7 is also obsolent. Still supported, but there's Windows 8, 8.1 and in a few months Windows 10. Like I said, the devs have to weigh the amount of time to fix the Windows XP bugs.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Maximus-CZ
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Maximus-CZ »

Windows 7 is not obsolete, they are just older versions, yet they are supported by Microsoft devs. You can actively buy it, you know you will get updates, they are all good in near future. XP does not.

DerTolleIgel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DerTolleIgel »

I have a complaint.

How can you create something this awesome, while there are people trying to get their work-life balance done.
I just spend the whole day playing your game in multiplayer mode (which works nicely), having a great time.. and I had no time for friends and family. This is not okay, please try to make your next updates less awesome, so that I can at least pretend to have a life.

Best regards
TheAwesomeHedgehog

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Hey, don't claim they didn't warn you.... https://www.factorio.com/terms-of-service bullet 4 8-) :lol:
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Sebelas
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Sebelas »

Sebelas wrote:Me and a friend of mine are having an issue.

We're playing over the internet, I have set up port forwarding and have a static public IP, not using Hamachi or anything. We've managed to play for a good 2-3 hour session. Maybe in excess of 8, time flies when you're building a dream.

Anyways every so often the game will freeze and become unresponsive, if the client (connector) Alt-F4's his client the game will free up for me (host) and he can reconnect and continue as normal, it wasn't an issue when it happened every 30-40 mins however as our death machine took a bigger form the issue seems to be more and more frequent, eventually it reached the point where he could no longer connect, upon successful connection he downloads the map and when this completes is immediately kicked, in and only in this circumstance do I see the message "Player x Desync! Player will reconnect" and then proceeds to re-download the map, this seems to repeat indefinitely, or as long as patience allows.

I have a decent upload rate, for this country (about 1meg up, 10mbit) and I have tried adjusting the latency slider upon game creation to no avail. We haven't tried Hamachi yet but will give this a go tomorrow, I also own a windows VPS so I will attempt to run the client there and we can both try connecting, I will report back on findings but hopes are not high for either option in all honesty.

We haven't noticed any triggers to this event specifically, though I did observe sometimes it happened more often when we were closer together, this wasn't consistent though as when we staged an elongated assault on our neighbourly inhabitants we were able to complete it without any events.

The only thing that was for sure was it occurred more frequently as the factory got larger.

Just to confirm, we resolved this issue using Hamachi, played for about 10 hours with no recurrences of this problem, Thanks guys! Awesome update.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Just to let you know, the xp support drop was because I moved to from Visual studio 2012 to Visual studio 2013 and I forgot to select the xp compatibile instruction set, it is 2 minutes of work, so I believe it is worth it :)

Cre8torzn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cre8torzn »

hey guys.. has anyone tried playing multiplayer with 3 people??

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Cre8torzn wrote:hey guys.. has anyone tried playing multiplayer with 3 people??
We have and are playing with up to 4 people since friday :)

blueangel020
Inserter
Inserter

Post by blueangel020 »

in a lan network or over internet

Ajes
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Ajes »

I don't understand why the Network is limited to "2 mbit" also when a client is joining and downloading the map.. after 12 hours play, it can takes several minutes to join a game :/

but else, very good work! :) - not that many crashes so far :D

RawCode
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RawCode »

Windows XP 32 bit 4.06%
There is completely no reason to waste any resources to support XP and 32bit systems today.
One more year and XP will be completely gone without trace.

As for w8 w9 and w10
Windows 8 0.41%
Windows Vista 32 bit 0.81%
"Brand new OS" with inferior quality WILL BE IGNORED by market.
no matter how hard microsoft will try to enforce w10 on desktop and notebooks, bad software will be rejected by market.

Couchmonster
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Couchmonster »

Using Windows XP is dangerous for the user.
As of 8th April 2014 there are no more security updates.
This means exploits for your system will not be fixed.
Other companies, like adobe, also announced there will be no more support (patches) for this system.

It is in the best interest of the user to not use this OS anymore!
I suggest anyone using this, because he cannot afford Windows 8.1 (which actually runs better on most machines than XP) should switch to a Linux OS like Ubuntu.
I am also aware people do not care about the safety of their system, since they are not affected if their system attacks others in the internet.
For those who believe this is not true, I am working in the IT department of an university, where every student can bring their systems.
This means 12k+ users with potentially compromised systems.
One of my activities every day is to tell them they got an infected system with serious malware (which our security appliances can detect).
You are not safe with Windows 7/8.1/10, but you are doomed with Windows XP!

To come back to the topic what I meant with my first post:
If the dev-team has to spend time to support XP, it is wasted time, which can be spent on more concerning matters.

Cre8torzn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cre8torzn »

Awesome! I have managed to connect 3 but getting heavy lag... I am hosting but only have a 4mb download speed and a 0.4mb upload...

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Phoenixian »

RawCode wrote:
Windows XP 32 bit 4.06%
There is completely no reason to waste any resources to support XP and 32bit systems today.

As for w8 w9 and w10
Windows 8 0.41%
Windows Vista 32 bit 0.81%
"Brand new OS" with inferior quality WILL BE IGNORED by market.
no matter how hard microsoft will try to enforce w10 on desktop and notebooks, bad software will be rejected by market.

Okay, When and where exactly are your sources from? And why do you specify only the 32 bit forms of XP and windows vista? Because according to my source, windows 8 and 8.1 have a 16.80% market share between them, windows XP has a 17.18% market share, and windows Vista has a 2.82% market share as of October 2014.
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

RawCode wrote:
Windows XP 32 bit 4.06%
Perhaps in your part of the world..
Also I'd be still my #1 choice for apps where wine wouldn't work.

PS: I thought they skipped w9 to indicate that even though an "odd -> stable" version is comming, it's actually not :P
Not that I would hear bad things about w10 so far... [/quote]

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

MF- wrote:PS: I thought they skipped w9 to indicate that even though an "odd -> stable" version is comming, it's actually not :P
Kinda going waaaaay offtopic here, but I suspect they're skipping Windows 9 because of 95 and 98. There's likely still plenty of applications out there where programmers took ugly shortcuts like checking for "Windows 9*" to determine the version.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

ible
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ible »

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 69537.html

A Redditor claiming to be a Microsoft developer has given the most plausible reason for the numerically inconsistent name of Windows 10.
Cranbourne said that “early testing revealed just how many third party products had code in the form of Windows 9”, referring to benchmark operating systems Windows 95 and Windows 98.
He said: “This was the pragmatic solution to avoid that.”
Essentially, there is a longstanding code short-cut designed to differentiate between Windows 95 and 98 that wouldn’t grasp that there was now a Windows 9.

---------------------

Many software programs have compatibility checks that can execute different code paths or trigger different environment settings.
There is currently a large number of software still in use that does a check for "Windows 9" when checking if the OS is actually "Windows 95/98"

Thus an OS named "Windows 9" will trigger compatibility settings for software to run on Windows 95/98. Which of course will crash the software.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

blueangel020 wrote:in a lan network or over internet
Over Internet but all four of us live in germany.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Sources: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

so what 4.29%. Anyone who complains about no XP Support and is using XP should just get off here now. I'm sorry the simple fact is there is no more security updates. If you argue then you are not better then my 70 year old mother... Wait she has Windows 8 with Classic Start Menu.. Okay you are no better then the Grade 1 Students.... Oh Wait their actually working on the school website on Windows 7 machines....

Well I give up.. Either way unsupported outdated software is NOT supported nor should it be. I can't bitch about 10 year old Mac or 10 your old Linux Distro and Core not being supported. Why should you.

Return to “Releases”