Version 0.16.51

Information about releases and roadmap.
Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Version 0.16.51

Post by Zavian »

Liono2010 wrote:When this version is going to be marked stable on steam? On steam the stable version is still 0.16.36.
0.16.51 is already marked as stable on Steam.

Liono2010
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Liono2010 »

Zavian wrote:
Liono2010 wrote:When this version is going to be marked stable on steam? On steam the stable version is still 0.16.36.
0.16.51 is already marked as stable on Steam.
So am I lying or blind to see which version is stable?
Attachments
Factorio versions on steam
Factorio versions on steam
Factorio Versions.png (24.06 KiB) Viewed 7905 times

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

If you opt out of all betas, you get 0.16.51. I guess they haven't update the version descriptions in the beta tab.

Liono2010
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Liono2010 »

I already opted out of betas and still have 0.16.36. I thought that as soon as they make 0.16.51 stable, the steam will automatically update my game to 0.16.51. But this hasn't been done it. I was waiting for it to be marked stable on steam as well as they have marked it on official website.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Well I've also opted out of betas and my steam version is 0.16.51. Maybe try restarting steam.

Liono2010
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Liono2010 »

My system has been restarted several times and still the game hasn't been updated. Does your list of factorio versions (in steam) displays 0.16.51 as experiment or is it stable? Can you please upload a screen shot of the same screen as I did?

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Liono2010 wrote:My system has been restarted several times and still the game hasn't been updated. Does your list of factorio versions (in steam) displays 0.16.51 as experiment or is it stable? Can you please upload a screen shot of the same screen as I did?
The screenshots you posted don't matter. What matters if you select "NONE - Opt out of all beta programs", the game will say it is 0.16.51 in its About dialog in menu.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

My beta tab has exactly the same list as the image you posted earlier. But the stable or experimental in those labels are just labels. The issue is why is steam leaving you with 0.16.36 when you opt out of all beats. Maybe, select 0.16.50 in the beta tab, let steam apply that, then opt out of all betas and see what version you end up with. I've just confirmed that doing that gives me 0.16.51.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Liono2010 wrote:Image
So am I lying or blind to see which version is stable?
Neither, but there is surely something wrong.

Note 36 still says stable, but so does 51. I'm not saying that means anything in particular, but the fact that yours doesn't say 51 is stable means you didn't get some kind of update. I know Steam sometimes takes a while to refresh but it's been quite some time.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

I have changed the label of 0.16.51 branch few minutes ago. If you have not opted into any beta and don't have 0.16.51, verify integrity of game files, that should force Steam to catch missing updates.

Liono2010
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Liono2010 »

posila wrote:
Liono2010 wrote:My system has been restarted several times and still the game hasn't been updated. Does your list of factorio versions (in steam) displays 0.16.51 as experiment or is it stable? Can you please upload a screen shot of the same screen as I did?
The screenshots you posted don't matter. What matters if you select "NONE - Opt out of all beta programs", the game will say it is 0.16.51 in its About dialog in menu.
Well, I think you are right. Now I have checked in game about dialog, and it says 0.16.51. And also the label of 0.16.51 has been updated as you said. Now everything looks okay. But I am not sure my game was already updated to 51 or it updated today.

kevmert
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kevmert »

Aeternus wrote:Why not change the icon to that of a car battery? A cube-y shape fits the industrial motif better anyway, does it not?
i also like this idea, either with a generic car battery shape or like one of those orange thin motorcycle batteries like this one
but at the usual factorio item angle so its front is facing bottom left and its leaning to the top right so items can look like they stack up to each other while compressed on a belt

ikarikeiji
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ikarikeiji »

Trblz wrote:
Loewchen wrote:
posila wrote:....
The fact that Duracell has an interest to prevent trademark dilution does not get them legally anywhere though. You do not compete in the same market, you do not mislead others into believing you are affiliated with Duracell. You produce a product of art and are exercising your right to nominatively use another companies trademark in a minimalistic way the same way a movie shows a BMW on the street or the protagonist to drink Coka Cola.
They did not send you an email instead of suing because they are nice, the did it because you were not infringing their mark and they know it (all imo).
Right, as you (Factorio) are not competing in the battery market, or advertising in such way that it might cause confusion with customers, you are not infringing in the Duracell TM. Neither is Factorio using the battery icon or the iconic energizer bunny in any way in advertisement or commercial products. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark_infringement for more detials.
Pretty sure this is actually nonsense, as others have said in previous posts, obviously Factorio is not competing with Duracell, but that's not the issue, the issue is that Factorio using the copper+black design to mean "battery" instead of "Duracell battery" is something which threatens their trademark, therefore they have to challenge it as a matter of course to keep their trademark.

I'm with the devs on this one, they were right to change it. If you miss the old design, well that's what mods are for! (Though I imagine a mod to revert the design would probably not be allowed on mod portal for the same reason, but one can always mod it in yourself for your own personal use.)

@Loewchen nobody has a "right" to use another company's trademark. You only see product names like BMW or Coca Cola in movies because BMW or Coca Cola have agreed to their names being used in the movies.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

kevmert wrote:
Aeternus wrote:Why not change the icon to that of a car battery? A cube-y shape fits the industrial motif better anyway, does it not?
i also like this idea, either with a generic car battery shape or like one of those orange thin motorcycle batteries like this one
but at the usual factorio item angle so its front is facing bottom left and its leaning to the top right so items can look like they stack up to each other while compressed on a belt
I actually see the original battery in game as a SLA battery, and change the recipe in my mod to take lead plates.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

ikarikeiji wrote:
Trblz wrote:
Loewchen wrote:
posila wrote:....
The fact that Duracell has an interest to prevent trademark dilution does not get them legally anywhere though. You do not compete in the same market, you do not mislead others into believing you are affiliated with Duracell. You produce a product of art and are exercising your right to nominatively use another companies trademark in a minimalistic way the same way a movie shows a BMW on the street or the protagonist to drink Coka Cola.
They did not send you an email instead of suing because they are nice, the did it because you were not infringing their mark and they know it (all imo).
Right, as you (Factorio) are not competing in the battery market, or advertising in such way that it might cause confusion with customers, you are not infringing in the Duracell TM. Neither is Factorio using the battery icon or the iconic energizer bunny in any way in advertisement or commercial products. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark_infringement for more detials.
Pretty sure this is actually nonsense, as others have said in previous posts, obviously Factorio is not competing with Duracell, but that's not the issue, the issue is that Factorio using the copper+black design to mean "battery" instead of "Duracell battery" is something which threatens their trademark, therefore they have to challenge it as a matter of course to keep their trademark.

I'm with the devs on this one, they were right to change it. If you miss the old design, well that's what mods are for! (Though I imagine a mod to revert the design would probably not be allowed on mod portal for the same reason, but one can always mod it in yourself for your own personal use.)

@Loewchen nobody has a "right" to use another company's trademark. You only see product names like BMW or Coca Cola in movies because BMW or Coca Cola have agreed to their names being used in the movies.
And Coca Cola and BMW had to pay for the privilege, it's called product placement and it helps pad the budget of the movie. It's also why you see Beats headphones in every music video these days.

mmhvd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mmhvd »

Why not have Duracell sponsor the game, and have the battery item look like a Duracell battery? Just call it a "DuraCell"...

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

mmhvd wrote:Why not have Duracell sponsor the game, and have the battery item look like a Duracell battery? Just call it a "DuraCell"...
If you're a multinational battery manufacurer you don't sponser a game about genocide and enviromental destruction.
Or to say it with movies: Only the good guys drink PepsiCola©®☮™.

4xel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by 4xel »

eradicator wrote:
mmhvd wrote:Why not have Duracell sponsor the game [...]
If you're a multinational battery manufacurer you don't sponser a game about genocide and enviromental destruction.
Or to say it with movies: Only the good guys drink PepsiCola©®☮™.

Let me doubt that. Vilains are cool nowadays, especially when you get to play them.

And a game can be about something without being pro something.

And its players, who are the one who matter for the advertising, generally don't see factorio as a bad game.

And battery is used in accumulators, which are used to optimize energy production, mainly along solar panels, which are as green as it gets in terms of enrgy production in this game.

rldml
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rldml »

4xel wrote:And battery is used in accumulators, which are used to optimize energy production, mainly along solar panels, which are as green as it gets in terms of enrgy production in this game.
Yeah, and you use the energy to do what? Make the planet to a better place for whom? :D

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

rldml wrote:
4xel wrote:And battery is used in accumulators, which are used to optimize energy production, mainly along solar panels, which are as green as it gets in terms of enrgy production in this game.
Yeah, and you use the energy to do what? Make the planet to a better place for whom? :D
That damn bitter terrorists are camping on our oil! So guess what the energy will be used for... Depleted uranium rounds and nukes of course!

Return to “Releases”