Factorio update (working on 0.3.0)

Information about releases and roadmap.
Slythercon
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Factorio update (working on 0.3.0)

Post by Slythercon »

Any Idea what time the update will be released? :)

kkk777kkk
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kkk777kkk »

it will be when its done, be patient :)

Slythercon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Slythercon »

I cant, I NEED it :D

Mysteria9
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mysteria9 »

kkk777kkk wrote: be patient :)

Toma
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Toma »

Slythercon wrote:Any Idea what time the update will be released? :)
Seriously, for the sake of the forum server, tell us! Otherwise this will get F5'd for the next 12 hours :p

kkk777kkk
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kkk777kkk »

Toma wrote:Seriously, for the sake of the forum server, tell us! Otherwise this will get F5'd for the next 12 hours :p
email notification will save forum from your GET requests :D

Toma
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Toma »

kkk777kkk wrote:
Toma wrote:Seriously, for the sake of the forum server, tell us! Otherwise this will get F5'd for the next 12 hours :p
email notification will save forum from your GET requests :D
Is there already an email notification in place for the updates? I never even got the mail that Factorio can now be purchased (even though I subscribed to that mailing list).

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Hi guys,

it is awesome seeing you being so eager to test the new release ! The release will be posted today late in the evening / in the night. Please don't refresh the forum all the time but use notifications instead :) (Subscribe to forum link in the bottom left in the News & Updates section). We are doing some final touches and testing everything.

Now some reactions:
Toma wrote:Is there already an email notification in place for the updates? I never even got the mail that Factorio can now be purchased (even though I subscribed to that mailing list).
There is no notifiation for new updates at the moment. I might setup a mailing list for this purpose in the near future. At the moment we post all the important information into the News & Updates section.

As for the preorder email. We have sent out the emails through a script last week (only to the people who haven't tried to order the game yet - we hate spamming). However we made a small mistake and haven't used our standard SMTP provider and used the default one instead. That could have led to a high rate of undelivered emails. I will resend the emails on the weekend (again only to the people who haven't bought Factorio yet - so don't be surprised when you don't receive it :)).
Ilnor wrote: R̻̥͔̭͕͙̯̜̲͕̯͆ͦͣ̓̽ͨ̌͛̏͠͡E̡͍̜͇̥̣̤͙̫̫̬̼̙̰̥̭͈̬̽ͣ̓͛ͅL̛͔̮̯̗̭͔͓͓͙̣͍͙̍̌̇̈̽ͧ̓͑ͯͭ̕̕Eͨ̽ͫ̋ͧ̒ͪ̎̑̃͑ͨ̿͐̂͑̓̕͜͏͚̫͇̤̻̦͈̘̯̯͙̭̞̮͈̺͡Ą͐̈́͋̽̑͑͛ͬ̑ͨ̒̎̈́̽ͬ͂͆ͪ̒͏̯̩͉̼͓͍͕̭̻̪S̴͎̗̙̮̭͉̖͖̖̖͉̮̐͋ͪ͆͒̆ͪ̏ͨ͋͐̅̂̈̿̚͟ͅE̘̻̫̤̩̠͙̻̯̠̝̗͚͙̖̠͓͎̎͂̽͒̃̒͌̿̂̅̊ͯͯ́͢ ̸̬̗̠̞̜̫̺͍̟̣͖ͨ̎͌̄̓̿ͥͮͨ̑̇̿̒̊̽ͣ͋̚͡ͅD̨̅̍̆ͥ̽ͯ͐̾̏͂̍ͨ͐̂ͤ̑̈́̃́͏̛̪̙̩͙̳̭͙̲ͅA̠̲̤͍̖̮͙̟͎̭̲̱̟͍̟̝̯̲̅ͤͬͪ̆̃ͧ̃͊͂͋̚͠ͅY̡̧̹̬͚͔̗̼̞̱͇͐̐͒̒̈̈̏͒ͥ̽ͤ̀͆̏͠ ̴̡̩͕̹͙̲̑̾ͣ̃̈́̍ͭ͆͆̈́̎ͨ̎̒̇̀̏ͣͨ!̡͆̋̏͐ͧ̋̄ͦ̍͊͐͐̈́͋̈̓̆͞͞͏͚̟̥̳̩̳̫̻̜̯̯ͅ
Fantastic :)
Cerus wrote: Optimally, you need (among other things):
  • A streamlined build process for getting minor updates out to the users without a lot of overhead on each release.
The automatic updater is being worked on. There is a certain overhead for us in preparing the release (we need to run the build scripts on all the machines, do some basic testing, post a release notification, etc.)
Cerus wrote:
  • Properly implemented error reporting.
  • Users that care and are competent enough to submit useful bug reports
  • A bug tracking system to which they can submit those reports.
[/list]
At the moment we have an internal issue tracking system - the github one (Factorio is a private github project). So far it has worked quite well for us even though it is quite simple.

As for the bug reports we have been using the Bug Reports section on the forum. That needs some work. After the release we will take some time to clean up that part of the forum form invalid / old / solved issues. Now there is too much information. Honestly it does take a lot of time to manage that for us so any suggestions on how to improve this process are welcomed.
MatLaPatate wrote:Could you guys update the game slightly more often ? I mean, I understand and agree you have to take your time, because quality>amount, but ... don't let us believe the game won't be developed anymore, and DON'T LET US PLAY SOMETHING ELSE THAN FACTORIO! ^^
I think regular releases every 2 weeks or every month are a nice scheme. This release took a long time because we did a lot of internal refactorings that will allow us to move easier forward in the future.
Mysteria9 wrote:You shouldn't stress, take the time needed! Stress causes programming mistakes (believe me, I know), and it's bad for your health too.
I'm sure many will agree that quality>quantity, take some extra time if you need it! :)
We took the time. The release is ready. We learned from 0.2.9. when we released under a lot of stress and time pressure.
ficolas wrote: They are humans! let them live :)
Thank you :)

Now a small release sneek peek:
  • There is a lot of new graphics. Even though the graphics might not be final it looks much better than the current one. Albert is going to take some time off after the release to come up with a high level graphics guidelines and style overview.
  • There is very few new features - and no there is neither big electric poles nor the electric furnace :|
  • The mod support has been strongly improved.
  • There are a lot of improvements for the scripting.
After the release we will spend some time planning the short and midterm future and making a sorf of a (public) roadmap.

Toma
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Toma »

Thanks for the lengthy reply :)

Question regarding the subscription though. It says I will be informed about new posts in that forum? Thats not really the point though as I dont want to be informed about everyone posting "WHEN IS IT OUT!????" in this thread. A subscription for new THREADS however, would be useful for that purpose since only you can post threads here and the next one would be the v0.3 thread.

kkk777kkk
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kkk777kkk »

slpwnd wrote:There is no notifiation for new updates at the moment.
Really want to have rss feed for "http://www.factorio.com/blog". If you can please make it real.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

kkk777kkk wrote:
slpwnd wrote:There is no notifiation for new updates at the moment.
Really want to have rss feed for "http://www.factorio.com/blog". If you can please make it real.
I will :)

kkk777kkk
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kkk777kkk »

slpwnd wrote:I will :)
ta!

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

Ghaaaa it's 3:30 am here, looks like i have to wait till morning to get the update *considers staying up as its easter and public holiday*

Toma
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Toma »

Dakkanor wrote:Ghaaaa it's 3:30 am here, looks like i have to wait till morning to get the update *considers staying up as its easter and public holiday*
From what the dev said, it could take.. 5 more hours? I dont think you need to stay awake ;)

THENIRL
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by THENIRL »

I'd take the oportunity encourage you guys to post just a few lines every other day in your facebook page, at least. If you imagine people interested in buying the game trying to learn more about it and visiting the facebook page, what do you think is going to be their conclusion if they see that the last post was made 2 or 3 weeks ago? Of course we know you're more than busy working on the game but I'm just trying to remind you that marketing should also be on your priority list (yes, yet another priority :mrgreen: ). Even if it's just a little two sentence update once in a while.
NOW GIMME 0.3.0!!!

kotasia
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by kotasia »

Francisco wrote:I'd take the oportunity encourage you guys to post just a few lines every other day in your facebook page, at least. If you imagine people interested in buying the game trying to learn more about it and visiting the facebook page, what do you think is going to be their conclusion if they see that the last post was made 2 or 3 weeks ago? Of course we know you're more than busy working on the game but I'm just trying to remind you that marketing should also be on your priority list (yes, yet another priority :mrgreen: ). Even if it's just a little two sentence update once in a while.
NOW GIMME 0.3.0!!!
0.3.0 is really big step for Factorio and I'm waiting whole day to inform people on Facebook about that! :)
After 0.3.0 we are going to post much more stuff on our Facebook and Twitter - not everything connected with game but our team as well :)

THENIRL
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by THENIRL »

kotasia wrote: not everything connected with game but our team as well
Yes, I suggest you do that, even if there are no real updates do give. I understand there's no point in posting "Kovarex fixed the 49th line of code that was bugging him yesterday". But do make yourselves look more active. The problem isn't the people in this forum. The problem is the people who don't really know what's going on and need assurance that they're not buying a game that has stopped being worked on. And that can be avoided by as simple a post as "Tomas had a headache today and tried to drown it with coffee". People who are trying to find out more about the game will visit the FB page, see that and think "okay, they're there, let's buy it and see where this goes", instead of "I'm not really sure they're still working on this... is it really worth risking 10€?".

Oh, and now that I understand there won't be a lot of new content and instead you guys tried to focus more on preparing your ground for future updates, I'm going to finish with:

NOW GIMME 0.3.1!!! :mrgreen:

kotasia
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by kotasia »

You're absolutely right. Also Facebook is just a fanpage, it doesn't have to be really serious. Maybe we are not going to write about our headaches because there is no such space on Facebook ;) but definitely more about us and what's going on in Factorio's world. Right after 0.3.0 (and 0.3.1 ;))

Return to “Releases”