Version 0.16.29

Information about releases and roadmap.
golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Version 0.16.29

Post by golfmiketango »

Bilka wrote: basically just /c rcon.print("my beautiful message")
OK, yes, I see, but... to whom?

I know:
  • some sort of "rcon support" thing exists in the factorio headless server
  • rcon is some kind of simple rpc-ish framework for pushing data back and forth between processes
and maybe
  • There used to be a thing called clusterio that used rcon but it was never ported to 0.16 (less sure of this point than the other two).
Anyhow I guess I just don't see how the pieces fit together. Nor even what the pieces are, or could be. If I call the above API, who am I? A mod-lua, right? So... something happened (what?); An rcon call context has appeared. Now I make this beautiful message invocation... profit?

The result of this invocation is (the rcon equivalent of) an async rpc return from factorio headless to some "other guy" who initiated some kind of rcon rpc, right?

If so, what protocol does he speak or, if "protocol" is a stretch, is there a reference implementation? Is there some known-working 0.16 laboratory I can spin up, preferably without reversing the wire protocol from factorio headless object code :lol:, to observe "my beautiful message" arriving at the other end? Also, how did my mod-lua find out about this rpc in the first place?

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

golfmiketango wrote:Is the RCON surface documented somewhere? Like, for idiots?

When I've tried to look into it, I always find 100 ancient github repos, but nothing super definitive/clear.
I have never used RCON, but, as far as I know, the RCON protocol is defined by Valve Software on this web page. It is used by several games, including Factorio. As far as I can tell, some general RCON clients exist and some are designed for a specific game. You can also somewhat easily create your own RCON client, if you have the necessary network socket programming knowledge. But several libraries for different programming languages have also been created. For more information, see the link above.

According to the wiki page on the Factorio console, it is possible to specify an RCON port when starting a Factorio "server". I am not sure if this means that only headless servers support RCON or whether also standard Factorio clients that also act as a server support RCON.

Based on the documentation of the Value Software RCON protocol, RCON does two things:
  1. password authentication
  2. allow execution of console commands
Therefore, as far as I can tell, all that RCON does is allow RCON clients password-protected network access to execute Factorio console commands on the server.

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

Tekky wrote:
golfmiketango wrote:Is the RCON surface documented somewhere? Like, for idiots?

When I've tried to look into it, I always find 100 ancient github repos, but nothing super definitive/clear.

Based on the documentation of the Value Software RCON protocol, RCON does two things:
  1. password authentication
  2. allow execution of console commands
Therefore, as far as I can tell, all that RCON does is allow RCON clients password-protected network access to execute Factorio console commands on the server.
I've used RCON with MC server, but not yet with Factorio. This is supposed to enable the server admin to control server operations like banning or unbanning users and other consol commands use on server only. It looks like Wobe are enabling us to create mods that with have two-way communication like for streamers to enable showing chat from the steam on Factorio chat or other interactions :geek:
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

Return to “Releases”