Version 0.16.28

Information about releases and roadmap.
Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Version 0.16.28

Post by Jap2.0 »

Dave64738 wrote:All those crashes!
Sounds like you're focussing on getting code out there too quickly and not taking the time for defensive programming. Users HATE HATE HATE crashes but can live with a slightly longer release cycle.
Handle those exceptions; fill in those default: sections and use else! Initialise pointers and zero them after freeing them, then you get an immediate segfault when you try to reuse them instead of something that "works" but kicks you up the arse some weeks/months later.

Oh, and yes as you ask, I am available and looking for software development work. Don't want to relocate though; I'd work remotely from the UK, occasional visits to the office only :-) 12 years exp with C, C++, C#, assembly, GUI design and all sorts of other stuff. Working on Factorio would be a nice change from boring business applications.
A few things:
  • 1. Many of these are extremely rare
    2. They're actually fixing them...
    3. This is not the stable branch
    4. There are nearly (perhaps more than by now) 500,000 lines of code. Even with the best of developers, bugs make their way in sometimes, sometimes in crazy and unexpected ways.
    5. See FFF 182
    6. They have jobs open, see this (job (at) factorio.com)
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Jap2.0 wrote: 6. They have jobs open, see this (job (at) factorio.com)
Oh. They're looking for a level designer. Can someone help me haul up my hopes? They kinda fell into this really deep chasm long ago.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

eradicator wrote: Can someone help me haul up my hopes?
you-can-do-it-murray.jpeg
you-can-do-it-murray.jpeg (30.83 KiB) Viewed 5360 times

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Sounds like you're focussing on getting code out there too quickly and not taking the time for defensive programming. Users HATE HATE HATE crashes but can live with a slightly longer release cycle.
Handle those exceptions; fill in those default: sections and use else! Initialise pointers and zero them after freeing them, then you get an immediate segfault when you try to reuse them instead of something that "works" but kicks you up the arse some weeks/months later.
This is very simplistic view on the cause of bugs.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Yeah, that's... basically wrong on every count, not least of which users know this is a beta and I think we are much happier getting earlier updates than 100% reliability (instead of 99.5%).

I work with developers. This week they did a "bugfix" and I thought, hmm, I don't think that works the way they think it does, so I tested it. Turns out it did, but they'd broken the whole system. Quality testing right there. Was lucky I found it as early as I did.

In oppose to Factorio, which I think I've only ever had crash once, and I'm pretty sure I reported it and it had already been fixed. Heck, I've had my laptop go into hibernation with Factorio running and it still didn't crash, just resumed the game when I logged back in. Crazy.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Oh, and yes as you ask, I am available and looking for software development work. Don't want to relocate though; I'd work remotely from the UK, occasional visits to the office only :-) 12 years exp with C, C++, C#, assembly, GUI design and all sorts of other stuff. Working on Factorio would be a nice change from boring business applications.
Wow i can imagine you as a great collegue who says everyone is doing stupid stuff but only you not. /sarcasm

Use the stable branch if you fear crashes and only use testing branch if you want to support the devs in finding bugs.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Ringkeeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ringkeeper »

Doesn't matter how they code, the QA department will find the bugs in most cases.

Oh, look, they are a small company. Without a QA department. Hmm, no, not true. They have one. We , the ones that play on the dev branch, are the QA department. That's what alpha/early access means. So, yes, in a normal, big company you wouldn't see this bug fixes as a player as it is internal tested.

I'm a bit surprised that you as "experienced" programer don't know that....

Lubricus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lubricus »

Ringkeeper wrote:

Doesn't matter how they code, the QA department will find the bugs in most cases.

Oh, look, they are a small company. Without a QA department. Hmm, no, not true. They have one. We , the ones that play on the dev branch, are the QA department. That's what alpha/early access means. So, yes, in a normal, big company you wouldn't see this bug fixes as a player as it is internal tested.

I'm a bit surprised that you as "experienced" programer don't know that....
Somehow magically Factorio is extremely stable and polished compared to most AAA games... I think the game have crashed on me twice, and that have been heavy modding on the unstable branch.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Most of the bugs I encounter arn't game breaking, and even when they are, that's usually because I broke it myself.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

batorfly
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by batorfly »

bobingabout wrote:Most of the bugs I encounter arn't game breaking, and even when they are, that's usually because I broke it myself.
I would smash that +1 Button so much. Like someone's mom probably. I found it funny :D

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

batorfly wrote:I would smash that +1 Button so much. Like someone's mom probably. I found it funny :D

batorfly
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by batorfly »

Return to “Releases”