Version 0.16.24

Information about releases and roadmap.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Version 0.16.24

Post by FactorioBot »

Minor Features
  • When the game crashes, the crash log is uploaded to us. You can opt out by disabling it in the options menu.
  • Player chat color when set through '/color r g b a' command will be brightened. (57796)
Bugfixes
  • Fixed that LuaEntity::get_merged_signals() would return wrong value if no wires were connected. (57757)
  • Fixed flamethrower turret could get stuck in deactivated state when fluid type in its pipe changed. (57730)
  • Fixed energy consumption of laser turret in recipe tooltip. (22310)
  • Fixed that specifying a shift for a storage tank's fluid_background would shift it incorrectly. (57691)
  • Fixed that ctrl-arrow/backspace/delete worked in the console but not in other text boxes. (57496)
  • Fixed that you could define a fluidbox height of 0. (57753)
  • Fixed trains "twitching" under certain circumstances. (57738)
  • Fixed wrong hairy dead tree graphics positioning. (57761)
  • Fixed that ping-pong DNS lookup failure would shut down running multiplayer games. (57759)
  • Fixed LuaInventory::getbar/setbar used zero-based indexing. (57816)
  • Fixed incorrect electric network connection rendering on the map. (57327)
  • Fixed train would reset its "waiting on signal" penalty when recalculating path due to waiting too long. (57574)
Scripting
  • Added script.on_nth_tick(n, function).
  • Added LuaSurface::can_place_entity(...) optional parameter "build_check_type" and "forced".
Use the automatic updater if you can (check experimental updates in other settings) or download full installation at http://www.factorio.com/download/experimental.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Version 0.16.24

Post by mrvn »

Please make sending crash reports opt-in or ask before sending.

Sending out data is a privacy concern, can take a long time to trigger dial in, connect and send and can carry a real cost to the user.

kickbackman1277
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kickbackman1277 »

i agree it really should be opt in not opt out

donblas
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by donblas »

If it is opt-in then no-one will opt in. 99% of people don't check options.

There likely should be a one-time pop-up on first launch with text like "In the event of factorio crashing reports are sent to the developer to help solve issues. This can be changed by blah blah blah".

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Should be Opt-out not Opt-In. But I agree there needs to be an option.

kickbackman1277
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kickbackman1277 »

it says there is an option i just feel it should be opt in.

Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Kayanor »

Sending crash logs to the developers in Minecraft is opt-out, too.
On the other hand noone will/can use this since noone plays vanilla Minecraft.
Former moderator.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Kayanor wrote:Sending crash logs to the developers in Minecraft is opt-out, too.
On the other hand noone will/can use this since noone plays vanilla Minecraft.
Sadly you are beyond wrong number wise on this. Most people play Vanilla Minecraft I think the numbers were really low when someone actually took a count of Modded Players vs Vanilla Players and quite low for Mp vs Sp.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

For testing it should be opt-out, stable could be opt-in.

Everyone who plays testing should support the developers with crash reports for free.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

mrvn wrote:Please make sending crash reports opt-in or ask before sending.

Sending out data is a privacy concern, can take a long time to trigger dial in, connect and send and can carry a real cost to the user.
Where do you see a privacy concern with sending a crash report? The log does not contain personal data.

Sergeant_Steve
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Sergeant_Steve »

Zeblote wrote:Where do you see a privacy concern with sending a crash report? The log does not contain personal data.
I suspect he is worried the logs contain auth tokens, usernames and IP addresses. Which when sent over the internet could be intercepted if not properly encrypted.

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRY411S »

Although the logs will not (I hope) contain PII data, the EU General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) effective May 2018 are being interpreted by most organisations that I work with, such that people must opt-in to permit data to be collected about them.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

DRY411S wrote:Although the logs will not (I hope) contain PII data, the EU General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) effective May 2018 are being interpreted by most organisations that I work with, such that people must opt-in to permit data to be collected about them.
It's just data of the game, not about players - but i see your concerns - better Factorio devs consolidate a lawyer.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

FactorioBot wrote: Scripting
  • Added script.on_nth_tick(n, function).
The long awaited end of the modulo era :D. It's still missing in the api documentation though (for people to find that don't read all the changelogs...).
steinio wrote:
DRY411S wrote:Although the logs will not (I hope) contain PII data, the EU General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) effective May 2018 are being interpreted by most organisations that I work with, such that people must opt-in to permit data to be collected about them.
It's just data of the game, not about players - but i see your concerns - better Factorio devs consolidate a lawyer.
The logs contain the path to factorio, the launch parameters, the exact list of mods used, etcpp. Pretty much enough to create a unique fingerprint easily. And the file path could also contain your username etc depending on where you installed.

GottZ
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GottZ »

about my player color should be readable proposal:
0 0 0 is still kinda unreadable on stone during day cycles
0 0 0 is still kinda unreadable on stone during day cycles
factorio_2018-02-15_20-15-09.png (30.41 KiB) Viewed 18994 times
i really like that you took the time to implement my proposal as fast as that but.. i'd say it could need some improvement :D

about the opt-out / opt-in stuff..

i'd say beta should always be opt-out while stable should be either opt-in or prompt you on a crash to press the upload button.
Last edited by GottZ on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by irbork »

Opt-out is the way to go for now. Make it opt-in when game is released as not EA title.
Or even better - opt-out for all experimental releases and opt-in for stable ones. So anyone who do not want to participate in making the game better can stick with stable branch.

Lubricus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lubricus »

Sergeant_Steve wrote:
Zeblote wrote:Where do you see a privacy concern with sending a crash report? The log does not contain personal data.
I suspect he is worried the logs contain auth tokens, usernames and IP addresses. Which when sent over the internet could be intercepted if not properly encrypted.
The path to your log/save directory was included in the log (at least in earlier versions). That often include your username on the computer. So if you are paranoid you should opt out.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

FactorioBot wrote:Minor Features
  • When the game crashes, the crash log is uploaded to us. You can opt out by disabling it in the options menu.
Uh oh. Who trusts the developers? I do. But I still tamper with the logs I send when reporting bugs. (Because they are visible on the forum :P )

Actually the logs don't contain anything that could be tied to the player so... please don't argue about it. By the way, windows 10 sends waaaaaaay more data about it's usage, and you can't even opt-out of it. And unlike Factorio's primitive log files, that data can be used up against you.

Developers, don't make this opt-in. I do not recommend it. Out of the 1 million players playing Factorio, less than 50 thousand would send feedback. You rely on only 5% of the players otherwise. You might as well leave this feature opt-out. Why are you even giving users a choice? (Actually, that last question is kinda "too much". I admit it, but as long as the logs are not actually harmful, what's the problem?)

Seriously, what's wrong with all those who argue about privacy? Factorio does not even go as far as to send your very username across the internet.
Last edited by Gergely on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 9 times in total.

system
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by system »

How can i disable sending log, if game crashes when starting?

PS: you are breaking more mods with every "minor" update... That is sad.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

I agree that it shouldn't be opt-out, for privacy and various other reasons. I like the idea of a button to upload it automatically on the crash screen. The thing is, I will probably opt out even though I trust the devs because in that case I can post it here, post other relevant information, and provide more information if needed.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “Releases”