Version 0.16.24

Information about releases and roadmap.
Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Version 0.16.24

Post by Oktokolo » Thu May 31, 2018 1:28 am

bobingabout wrote:I like the part where it says anyone not following the rules can be fined €20M or upto 4% income, whichever is highest.
Yep. This time they really got it right. But that are the maximum fines and as long as the company is cooperative, they will not really get fined. The extreme fines are for the extreme violations by the same megacorps (including Microsoft) that keep ignoring the data protection laws despite beeing warned mutliple times.
Someone that tiny as Wube with rather mild violations would probably get help offered for fixing the problems.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator » Thu May 31, 2018 4:46 am

Oktokolo wrote:Someone that tiny as Wube with rather mild violations would probably get help offered for fixing the problems.
The "problem" here isn't of any technical nature though. They're more than capable to implement a one-time opt-in screen. But they have stated concerns (in the FFF i quoted before) that they think asking the users to voluntarily upload crash reports would not generate enough debugging data due to users being conditioned to just click "no". Which is why i find it so unlikely they'll change their stance until something happens :/.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout » Thu May 31, 2018 8:09 am

eradicator wrote:Which is why i find it so unlikely they'll change their stance until something happens :/.
Maybe not. Latest update, 0.16.47 includes the following.
The system data path is removed from the log when it's automatically uploaded by the crash reporter.
IP addresses are no longer hashed in the log file. All IP addresses are removed from the log when it's automatically uploaded by the crash reporter.
This probably satisfies MOST of the requirements.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely » Thu May 31, 2018 12:41 pm

eradicator wrote:
bobingabout wrote:You know, Opt in could simply be a clause in the EULA stating that during the event of a crash, they upload data. If you don't accept, you can't play, but at least it's following the law.
Are you sure an EULA would be sufficient? I thought the whole point of GDPR was to remove the possibility of selling your soul via small print. Not that i personally care because i live in Germany where EULAs are not legally binding in 95% of the cases because they're not handed to you before you sign the contract (=buy the game). Yes, that means EULA in the installer is invalid here.

EDIT: Found a fitting quote:
eugdpr.org wrote:companies will no longer be able to use long illegible terms and conditions full of legalese, as the request for consent must be given in an intelligible and easily accessible form, with the purpose for data processing attached to that consent
Factorio developers clearly state EVERYTHING you need to know about privacy here. You don't even have to buy the game to know it.
eradicator wrote: @Gergely:
The problem is not with any one software developer who might or might not handle the data properly. The problem is that all stored data eventually will be used for purposes it was not originally collected for. No programmer is employed at the same place for eternity. And even if they were, other people would still need unchecked access to it.
Okay, there are several problems here...
First, the data is stored by the company, not the programmer.
Second, the data is not at all likely to be used for purposes other than what it was originally collected for. (I mean, why would it be?)
Third, the data is not even "personal data" to begin with!! It's just anonymous crash logs! (I mean, on the website you provided, the keep saying "personal data" everywhere.)
And finally, who are these "other people" who need "unchecked access" to this data?
eradicator wrote:The GDPR is a brand new European data protection regulation. As you seem to haven't even heared about it you are probably not even affected and thus all your points are in vain.
It is true that I haven't heard of it before someone brought it up on this forum. However, since I am a citizen of the EU, I am affected.
eradicator wrote:As for the specific things wube currently doesn't do i think this might be a good start. (that's the official site btw.)
At the time of collecting their data, people must be informed clea rly about at least:
  • Who?: Wube Software
  • Why?: Automated Feedback
  • What?: There is no personal data being collected.
  • Legal Justification... ?
  • For how long will they keep the data... ?
  • Who else has access?: No one.
  • Will the personal data will be sent to... nope, it is not personal data.
  • Can they have a copy of the data being sent?: Yes! In ".log" format!
  • Do they have a right to file a complaint to... About what exactly?!
  • Do they have a right to withdraw... YES! You can opt-out of this whole thing.
  • The existence of an automated decision maker: Yes. The files are sent only if the game crashes.
There are some question marks because I don't know the answer to everything.
However, the initial assumption, that the data is personal and/or belongs to the person is incorrect to begin with, so I don't see how is that a violation.

To my understanding, "clea" and "rly" are not even English words, so this whole page is flawed anyway.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator » Thu May 31, 2018 3:12 pm

@Gergely:
Thanks for making it blantantly obvious that you're only trying to troll by "dismantling" a generic, non-factorio-specific answer that was meant to tell you more about GDPR because you asked. And you're apparently not even able to distinguish between a contract and a public information page.
Gergely wrote:To my understanding, "clea" and "rly" are not even English words, so this whole page is flawed anyway.
Riight... here's your fish <°)'|'|'|'|`=<<, now go away please?

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely » Thu May 31, 2018 4:10 pm

eradicator wrote:<°)'|'|'|'|`=<<
Thank you!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub » Thu May 31, 2018 7:18 pm

Maybe can we now get back to topic ? :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Releases”