Version 0.16.7

Information about releases and roadmap.
Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Version 0.16.7

Post by Optera »

FalcoGer wrote: A wagon full of barrels should never be more than a wagon full of liquid.
Generally barrels need some reworking, they allow more throughput in a yellow belts than with pipes, they allow higher quantity per area, they allow to transport more in trains with less wagons. And they allow partitioned transportation of up to 40 different fluids per wagon.
So basically except for the one time effort of making barrels and putting up the emptying and filling machines, barrels are now, again, better than tanker wagons in every way.
Most of the imbalance in fluid wagon vs cargo wagon and belted barrels vs pipes stems from barrels holding too much liquid while stacking too high.
To be balanced barrels should hold at most 50l when keeping stack size at 10. Barreling should fill/empty 5 or 10 barrels per recipe.

SeigneurAo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SeigneurAo »

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Avezo »

If barrels are nerfed though, I wonder what will happen with those huge nuclear power plants that needed huge throughput of water provided through belts.

Gnark
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gnark »

Avezo wrote:If barrels are nerfed though, I wonder what will happen with those huge nuclear power plants that needed huge throughput of water provided through belts.
This is my major concern. But this is only divised by 2 right ? So just need to double the belts :)

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

Gnark wrote:This is my major concern. But this is only divised by 2 right ?
I'm afraid not, it's currently a whopping 250.

Corbie
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Corbie »

FactorioBot wrote:
  • Removed the mechanics of 3 different fluid tanks in fluid wagon, and simplified it so the fluid wagon has just 1 fluid.
I had used one single wagon to transport crude oil to the refinery. Afterwards the same wagon transported the three different outputs to my main base in a single wagon. That worked perfectly fine!

Please re-add this feature!

Gnark
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gnark »

ManaUser wrote:
Gnark wrote:This is my major concern. But this is only divised by 2 right ?
I'm afraid not, it's currently a whopping 250.
Then i am really desapointed :(
This is a divide by 5.
This negate all interest in barreling. Now a blue belt of barrels have a 10k output but you need 2 blue belt, one for the barrel full and one for the empty. Pipe have a 1.2k output so 2 pipe for my 2 blue line will have a 2.4k output so 0.4 more than with barreling.
They will need a huge advantage for beein transported by train to be used, what will be the storage of the futur tanker ? This will be really low ...

I tought than a 25k for full tanker wagon and 50k for a full barrel wagon would be good. Wihtout logic barrel wagon are just half full so this is in line with the tanker and with logic it double ... fair enough. The divide by two make also the 2 blue line have an output of aprox 5 pipe, this seems good to me.

Barrel are really interresting but hard to manage ... they need love.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

For storage purpose 50l barrels still beat tanks by a factor of 8.64.
1 Storage Tank takes 3x3 space and holds 25kL
9 steel chests hold 48*9*50*10 = 216kL

However for trains this equation changes to barrels being 3.75 times less efficient than fluid wagons.
1 fluid wagon holds currently 75kL
1 cargo wagon holds 40*50*10 = 20kL

Overall these numbers make barrels still useful for long term storage and transport via bots, though fluid wagons really should be brought down to 20 or 25kL.

rldml
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rldml »

Optera wrote:However for trains this equation changes to barrels being 3.75 times less efficient than fluid wagons.
1 fluid wagon holds currently 75kL
1 cargo wagon holds 40*50*10 = 20kL
As far as i had understood kovarex, the fluid waggon capacity WILL be decreased to 25kL
Overall these numbers make barrels still useful for long term storage and transport via bots, though fluid wagons really should be brought down to 20 or 25kL.
The advantage of barrel-transport in future is the fact you can transport different fluids with one waggon. I think that's pretty fair...

Greetings Ronny

Gnark
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gnark »

Optera wrote:...
What is the point of long term storage ?
If you need long terme storage your design is not good enough. Exept for energy ?
rldml wrote:
Optera wrote:
The advantage of barrel-transport in future is the fact you can transport different fluids with one waggon. I think that's pretty fair...

Greetings Ronny
In 1000 hours of game I have never needed sutch a train ... barreling is just good to feed military outpost with light oil in the same wagon than munition if you are using fire turet. But there is no big need.

genericname1
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by genericname1 »

rather than shrinking the size of the barrels would reducing the stacking not be an alternative option.

It's change the dynamics of storage/train based transport without affecting belts/inserters

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Avezo »

I think reduction of stacking of barrels (even down to just 1) would be better too.

Remember it's not just about fluid wagon vs. cargo wagon, but also about fluids carried by bots in barrels.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Avezo wrote:I think reduction of stacking of barrels (even down to just 1) would be better too.

Remember it's not just about fluid wagon vs. cargo wagon, but also about fluids carried by bots in barrels.
Exactly, this is why reduction of stacking won't work as robots would still carry too much.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

kovarex wrote:
Avezo wrote:I think reduction of stacking of barrels (even down to just 1) would be better too.

Exactly, this is why reduction of stacking won't work as robots would still carry too much.
How about 5 stack size and 100 fluids per barrel like I proposed? That seems to be a good middle ground.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Return to “Releases”