Information about releases and roadmap.
Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Version 0.15.37

Post by Jap2.0 »

thecatlover1996 wrote:
mexmer wrote:
thecatlover1996 wrote: Portal guns in Factorio 0.16 confirmed? ;)
why 0.16?
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Bilka/Portals
I could've guessed that there's a mod for that. XD nice :D
There's a mod website for that :)
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Sander_Bouwhuis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Sander_Bouwhuis »

Ooooooooooh! The Portals are great!!!
It would be great if Factorio had transporter units built-in. When you do an extreme rail world, it's no fun to literally have to run a few minutes from place to place. In fact, I would have preferred it if you could just have a RTS style commander overview (so, without the astronaut guy having to walk around).

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

A few minutes? Wait till a rocket fueled pocket locomotive takes 15min to get back to base.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Sander_Bouwhuis wrote:Ooooooooooh! The Portals are great!!!
It would be great if Factorio had transporter units built-in. When you do an extreme rail world, it's no fun to literally have to run a few minutes from place to place. In fact, I would have preferred it if you could just have a RTS style commander overview (so, without the astronaut guy having to walk around).
You do realize that you can do quite a lot stuff from map now in areas where you have radar coverage?
It's a recent feature - from 0.15 I think.

Sander_Bouwhuis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

orzelek wrote:
You do realize that you can do quite a lot stuff from map now in areas where you have radar coverage?
It's a recent feature - from 0.15 I think.
Really?!? I have radars everywhere (perfectly aligned of course). You want to tell me I can do everything (a lot of things at least) from the map view? So, I can open a chest to pick up something when I'm far away?

I'll try that the next time I'm playing. That would be utterly fantastic!

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Sander_Bouwhuis wrote: So, I can open a chest to pick up something when I'm far away?

I'll try that the next time I'm playing. That would be utterly fantastic!
When 0.15 first released I played multiplayer with a version of longreach that let me do that. (Not sure what mod actual mod that was now, there are several that provide long reach like functionality. And it might have been changed by now. It was overpowered.

leitk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by leitk »

Sander_Bouwhuis wrote:You want to tell me I can do everything (a lot of things at least) from the map view? So, I can open a chest to pick up something when I'm far away?
You can't do anything that takes your inventory or action, so opening a chest is not possible, but you can hover over it and see the contents.
You can place blueprints and ghosts, and those can be built by nearby robots if they have the inventory.

Sander_Bouwhuis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Aha, ok. Thanks for the info.

tomvalk25
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by tomvalk25 »

Since This update my game freezes sometimes :oops:
I have a highend game system

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

tomvalk25 wrote:Since This update my game freezes sometimes :oops:
I have a highend game system
Make a bug report, follow: 51319, and 3638.

Mendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mendel »

For a commercial 1.0 release, you might want to release for holiday (2018-2020 somewhere around there :D ).
For a full commercial release, the holiday period is critical for sales and january/february release would be commercial suicide.

For a major patch like this however, I think early 2018 makes more sense so you don't need to spend the whole holidays/new year either patching or sitting on a bunch of bugs. Instead you get to keep a few days off, even if sitting on a release candidate, then roll on the patch sometime january/february/ fully refreshed and ready for bug squashing with full force.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Mendel wrote:For a commercial 1.0 release, you might want to release for holiday (2018-2020 somewhere around there :D ).
For a full commercial release, the holiday period is critical for sales and january/february release would be commercial suicide.

For a major patch like this however, I think early 2018 makes more sense so you don't need to spend the whole holidays/new year either patching or sitting on a bunch of bugs. Instead you get to keep a few days off, even if sitting on a release candidate, then roll on the patch sometime january/february/ fully refreshed and ready for bug squashing with full force.
Except that's what every other indy studio thinks, so they avoid releasing during holidays to avoid being buried in the flood.

player8472
Inserter
Inserter

Post by player8472 »

For a commercial 1.0 release, you might want to release for holiday (2018-2020 somewhere around there :D ).
Like most early-access games, I don't think it matters that much. I wouldn't expect much rise in sales from the official release.
Effectively 1.0 is just another big patch for an early access game...

I would expect a rise in sales the 2 weeks before 1.0 since prices tend to go up with official release. I usually buy early-access games 1-2 months before release...

And since it is already better than a majority of games already released (from a bug/feature perspective) you can already buy/gift it.
I already gifted it 3 times.

I don't see much difference in gifting something which will be released but is already playable and gifting something which is released.

But maybe thats only me...

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

player8472 wrote:
Like most early-access games, I don't think it matters that much. I wouldn't expect much rise in sales from the official release.
Effectively 1.0 is just another big patch for an early access game...

I would expect a rise in sales the 2 weeks before 1.0 since prices tend to go up with official release. I usually buy early-access games 1-2 months before release...

And since it is already better than a majority of games already released (from a bug/feature perspective) you can already buy/gift it.
I already gifted it 3 times.

I don't see much difference in gifting something which will be released but is already playable and gifting something which is released.

But maybe thats only me...
Same here - it's better than many finished games, but I know some people wait until games get released to buy it. I'm guessing less so for Factorio than some less feature-complete or buggier games, but there might still be some. I wouldn't expect a huge spike in sales, but there might be some.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Well reviewers normally wait till release before they review a game. Some good reviews could get the game noticed by people who haven't already seen it.

player8472
Inserter
Inserter

Post by player8472 »

Well reviewers normally wait till release before they review a game. Some good reviews could get the game noticed by people who haven't already seen it.
Yeah, but the early-access reviews stop at the same time.

Also: The best review for Factorio is the percentage of thumbs up on Steam.
I and my friends have never seen anything alike (It was 98 or 99% positive when i bought it out of over 100k) - especially with a special interest kind of game.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

player8472 wrote:

I and my friends have never seen anything alike (It was 98 or 99% positive when i bought it out of over 100k) - especially with a special interest kind of game.
And it totally deserves that rating. At the moment (and it has been for quite some time) it's #2 on Steam.

Meritic
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Meritic »

Jap2.0 wrote:
player8472 wrote:

And it totally deserves that rating. At the moment (and it has been for quite some time) it's #2 on Steam.

Actually if you ever read the negative ratings they are mostly jokes/minor discomforts that has been overcome like no endgame, no achievements or that the game is addictive as crack.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Meritic wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:
player8472 wrote:

Actually if you ever read the negative ratings they are mostly jokes/minor discomforts that has been overcome like no endgame, no achievements or that the game is addictive as crack.
Yeah - they're pretty amusing. There are actually few enough that I could probably pretty easily go and classify them all as either obselete, too addictive, lack of endgame, joke, or other.

Maai
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Maai »

Portals are good, but more logical is the creation of terminals for remote control of an anthropoid robot located at some remote point of the map near the tower receiver signal. :idea:

The technology of portals is, at least, too difficult to get it in the first stages of this branch of technology. Robotics will emerge much faster than portals technology. And remote control robots clone players will add more logical surprises. You will at least need to have a remote control tower and an intact warehouse with such robots. :)
...and defend your capsule-terminal, while you are online)) ;)
Zavian wrote:A few minutes? Wait till a rocket fueled pocket locomotive takes 15min to get back to base.
Yep! "...in a galaxy far, far away..."

Return to “Releases”