Version 0.15.22

Information about releases and roadmap.
FishStix
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Version 0.15.22

Post by FishStix »

I think the biggest issue for me is that this behaviour stops the ability to grab "just one", and I believe that many have the same issue.

Previously you could have some condition trigger with a pulse that would disable the inserter, it would pick something up, be disabled and drop it with the effect that the inserter would pick up exactly one item. I don't have an easy workaround without adding a bunch of extra circuitry.

My biggest issue is that my enrichment stuff is all broken as it relied on this behaviour to remove the one extra U235.

Vile
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Vile »

rorror wrote:
Vile wrote:Not sure if something just tweaked in my game or if it's happening to others as well, but since this update, using shift-click to lay down track results quite often in the auto-destruct not working properly. Trees are mostly (but not always) being treated as if they are player objects in that they aren't removed by construction bots and track is just laid around them. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I'm seeing it the most when laying track by hand and not from a blueprint.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=50039
Should be resolved in 0.15.23
Thank you for the heads up!

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

Mod title and description can now be localised.
Wow! But how? :D

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

whynotboth wrote:Something seems to be broken about the new inserter behavior. If you wire an inserter to a chest and set its condition to "Everything = 0" then it should be logically evident that the inserter can never take an item from the chest. Nevertheless when you put something in the chest, it will get picked up (but not dropped).
No, using Everything = 0 makes no sense as condition as it will always be true, I suggest looking for a tutorial about virtual signals, it is not obvious how to use it without one.

Gnark
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gnark »

The inserter change breaks all "tick based" management of inserters.
Please revert it. Was working great before.

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRY411S »

FishStix wrote:I think the biggest issue for me is that this behaviour stops the ability to grab "just one", and I believe that many have the same issue.

Previously you could have some condition trigger with a pulse that would disable the inserter, it would pick something up, be disabled and drop it with the effect that the inserter would pick up exactly one item. I don't have an easy workaround without adding a bunch of extra circuitry.

My biggest issue is that my enrichment stuff is all broken as it relied on this behaviour to remove the one extra U235.
The ability to grab just one is as easy as invoking the stack override feature on the inserter. There is no longer any need for any circuitry to grab just one, or two, or three, or four, or.... Twelve.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Mooncat wrote:

Code: Select all

[mod-info]
title=Best mods
description=Best mod no doubt

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Gnark wrote:The inserter change breaks all "tick based" management of inserters.
Please revert it. Was working great before.
According to this post by a Factorio developer, the change will be reverted in the next release.

whynotboth
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by whynotboth »

Loewchen wrote:
whynotboth wrote:Something seems to be broken about the new inserter behavior. If you wire an inserter to a chest and set its condition to "Everything = 0" then it should be logically evident that the inserter can never take an item from the chest. Nevertheless when you put something in the chest, it will get picked up (but not dropped).
No, using Everything = 0 makes no sense as condition as it will always be true, I suggest looking for a tutorial about virtual signals, it is not obvious how to use it without one.
OK maybe one of us is confusing anything and everything but that's not my point. You can also set it to "gears = 0" and put gears in the box - the inserter will take them out.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

whynotboth wrote:
Loewchen wrote:
OK maybe one of us is confusing anything and everything but that's not my point. You can also set it to "gears = 0" and put gears in the box - the inserter will take them out.
If the inserter does indeed violate its condition then please make a bug report and make sure to include a save file where this can be observed.

StahnAileron
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by StahnAileron »

DerGraue wrote:Just reverted back to 0.15.21 because of the Inserter changes, just to find out that my save can't be loaded, because I already saved it with the new version and apparently you can't load then. All autosaves are on the new version as well.

Please revert that change, it breaks all my unloading stations and some other useful stuff.
No offense, but shouldn't you deal with this the Factorio way: tear down your current design(s) and rebuild them? Half the Factorio is adjusting and adapting to new situations (e.g. new tech researched and needing to incorporate that tech into a factory design).

I have a game from 0.14 stable that I've kept all this time (that'[s when I bought Factorio). The map is a mess (a combination of new versions, mixing in the RSO mod, and expanding the map under different generation settings), as is my factory in a more object view. (The core factory is a half-assed bastard child of a design using spaghetti, as VERY poor, token attempt at a main belt, and recently, bots.)

The changes in the various versions of 0.15 forced me to literally rip out and rebuild chunks of my core factory. (The new infinite research was the initial impetus.) I didn't complain about the myriad changes; I embraced them. (Or exploited the crap out of a previous version before updating in the case of the UG belt changes...) Nuclear made me rethink and redo my power system. (My massive-ish solar system was gutted in favor of going nuclear. I did repurpose the accumulators as a huge buffer for when I muck with my nuke plane layout...)

I see Factorio as coming with new solutions to new problems, not getting complacent and "whining" about change that mess up you current design. If it was a gameplay balance issue, sure, but functionality changes in an alpha/beta/experimental are to be expected. Play it, test it, analyze it. Only then if it seem truly detrimental (rather then inconvenient) should it be brought up as a potential issue for reconsideration. Asking a dev to revert a single change in their game just because it's inconvenient to you seems a bit... selfish. (I also hail from the KSP community and man, some of them feel entitled over there sometimes... To the point I sometimes feel the need to stay away from the forums and resist making long-winded rebuttals.)
basementjack wrote:Not sure if this is new with 15.22, but I noticed today that trains stops in Out of the box (no mods) factorio have an icon for Logistic network - does anyone know how to connect this, and what that does?
If it's what I think it is, trains stops can be connected to the local logistics network like an inserter using the same basic interface. This allows you to enable/disable stations. It's not as robust or flexible as a circuit connection, but it's a reasonable way to control when a station is available for stopping at on simple train networks and you're too lazy to string up all the wire for something more complex. (If there was ever a basic logistics to circuit signal combinator... Like if the Constant Combinator could be hooked up to the Logistics Network, converting the logistics signals to the "constant" output.)

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRY411S »

StahnAileron wrote:
DerGraue wrote:Just reverted back to 0.15.21 because of the Inserter changes, just to find out that my save can't be loaded, because I already saved it with the new version and apparently you can't load then. All autosaves are on the new version as well.

Please revert that change, it breaks all my unloading stations and some other useful stuff.
No offense, but shouldn't you deal with this the Factorio way: tear down your current design(s) and rebuild them? Half the Factorio is adjusting and adapting to new situations (e.g. new tech researched and needing to incorporate that tech into a factory design).
Whilst I don't fully understand what issues this inserter behaviour change is causing, I too am a little surprised about the number of complaints about this change. How boring would factorio be if new versions meant that it worked exactly the same way as it did before?

If you like 0.14 the way it is, just wait until experimental 0.15 is stable and plan for the differences when you upgrade.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

Klonan wrote:
Mooncat wrote:

[mod-info]
title=Best mods
Great! It is working!
LocalizedModName.png
LocalizedModName.png (340.67 KiB) Viewed 6975 times
Thanks! :D

A minor issue:
Now I see the mod of russian locale for mods.
I wonder did these two generic locale keys "title" and "description" make it not possible for others to translate the mod name and description in the form of another mod.

What if you change the keys to be like entity names and descriptions?

[mod-name]
mod-name=Best mod!

[mod-description]
mod-name=Best mod no doubt
But this would not allow mod name to have the equal sign (=).

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Klonan wrote:
Mooncat wrote:

[mod-info]
title=Best mods
Yes, this doesn't work for me because my mod only houses an English locale, and all foreign locales are set in the 3rd party boblocale mod.
Mooncat wrote:
Klonan wrote:
Mooncat wrote:

[mod-info]
title=Best mods
Great! It is working!
LocalizedModName.png
Thanks! :D

A minor issue:
Now I see the mod of russian locale for mods.
I wonder did these two generic locale keys "title" and "description" make it not possible for others to translate the mod name and description in the form of another mod.

What if you change the keys to be like entity names and descriptions?

[mod-name]
mod-name=Best mod!

[mod-description]
mod-name=Best mod no doubt
But this would not allow mod name to have the equal sign (=).
as pointed out, this change would make things work for my locale mod.
Last edited by bobingabout on Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

Ah ha! Found a bug. Most probably just because it is not fully implemented: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50077
Edit: and then it is classified as not a bug.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Mooncat wrote:Ah ha! Found a bug. Most probably just because it is not fully implemented: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50077
Sorry, mod portal does things differently

I find it reasonable after hearing the reasons to change to

[mod-name]
best-mod=Best mod
[mod-description]
best-mod=Adds the best mod to the game
Which will be in 0.15.24

qwe85
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by qwe85 »

Tekky wrote:
Killcreek2 wrote:
FactorioBot wrote:Inserters will no longer drop what they are holding when disabled by the circuit network. (49170)
Rolling back to 015.21 ~ This change breaks my whole factory from top to bottom! See my response in the associated thread for details. ^

Please rethink this change! :shock:
I am also unable to continue playing my game in version 0.15.22, since half my base is broken now and I see no easy workaround.

In principle, I do like the idea of also being able to control when an inserter drops an item instead of only being able to control when an inserter picks up an item. However, this new implementation does not work well at all.
Yeah that is a rollback for me too
Nothing works, from Ore smelting too rocket fuel production

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

Klonan wrote:
Mooncat wrote:Ah ha! Found a bug. Most probably just because it is not fully implemented: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50077
Sorry, mod portal does things differently

I find it reasonable after hearing the reasons to change to

[mod-name]
best-mod=Best mod
[mod-description]
best-mod=Adds the best mod to the game
Which will be in 0.15.24
It is ok. Will wait for Mod Portal 2.0
impatiently
Thanks for the change! :D

whynotboth
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by whynotboth »

Loewchen wrote:
whynotboth wrote:
Loewchen wrote:
If the inserter does indeed violate its condition then please make a bug report and make sure to include a save file where this can be observed.
My bad. That behavior is not new and considered "not a bug" (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46234). I just didn't encounter it before this update.

Return to “Releases”