Version 0.15.12

Information about releases and roadmap.
factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Version 0.15.12

Post by factoriouzr »

jarcionek wrote:
Zooming with the mousewheel in the map and zoom-to-world is less aggresive.
This is actually pretty annoying. Now if I want to get from my factory overview into `world view`, I have to scroll like 3-4 times instead of just once... :/
I suggest adding a scroll speed setting to the options. You can set mouse wheel sensitivity and mouse movement speed at the OS level and in other games. Allowing configuration of this is pretty standard.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Blackraz0r wrote:
  • Zooming with the mousewheel in the map and zoom-to-world is less aggresive.
I feel like this did not changed the initial problem of having a wider view without the map than in map.

Ref: Wierd Map View
That's because It wasn't meant to :)
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

jarcionek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jarcionek »

Rseding91 wrote:
Blackraz0r wrote:
I feel like this did not changed the initial problem of having a wider view without the map than in map.

Ref: Wierd Map View
It's at least the third time you are highlighting that all of that is intentional. You have been asked multiple times in different topics for the reasons behind these changes and we still have not received any answer.

Why don't you just make the maximum zoom before switching to map view and zooming speed configurable and let the players decide what they want...?

Blackraz0r
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Blackraz0r »

jarcionek wrote:
It's at least the third time you are highlighting that all of that is intentional. You have been asked multiple times in different topics for the reasons behind these changes and we still have not received any answer.

Why don't you just make the maximum zoom before switching to map view and zooming speed configurable and let the players decide what they want...?
This is a very good idea.
Of course now everone should have realised that this was planed by the dev(s), but if so many people complaining about the change, maybe it wasnt the best way to do it.
Wouldn't that nice to have some kind of compromise by offering a entry in the settings menu for maximum map view zoom and that stuff?
Then those "Automationsuperremotefactorymanagingguys" (Which is me) can set the mapview to noneyecancer and the others who don't mind can stick to "standard settings"

I'd really appreciate a way of configuring this. (at least through mods) <3

mmhvd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mmhvd »

Today I found out... Right clicking rails with rails in hand will build straight rails from that point... and you can keep clicking as long as you have rails in your inventory

wow... I did not know, but I never saw any comments about this so it must be a very old feature ;-)

Thanks WUBE for this great time sink of a game! :D

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

jarcionek wrote:It's at least the third time you are highlighting that all of that is intentional.
Well we don't accidentally commit code...

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Klonan wrote:
jarcionek wrote:It's at least the third time you are highlighting that all of that is intentional.
... mostly :P
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

SeaRyanC
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SeaRyanC »

Not updating until the 0.15.10 level of map-camera zoom is restored. Placing large blueprints is far too cumbersome otherwise.

LightningDragon10065
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LightningDragon10065 »

Boilers seem to show a different value in the detail window than they did before; was there a stealth change that made boilers show their actual fuel use taking into account the defined effectivity?

porcupine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by porcupine »

Klonan wrote:
Can you at least let us know why it's been done this way?

What's driving this change, since obviously it's not being driven by user/public feedback.

tk0421
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tk0421 »

either there was an undocumented nerf to nuclear power and teperatures, or something in todays release broke it...

cannot keep up temps at all. steam boils off and and factories die...

my reactors all keep droping to 534 degrees and staying there. single or multiple setups. ???
Last edited by tk0421 on Thu May 18, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tk0421
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tk0421 »

SeaRyanC wrote:Not updating until the 0.15.10 level of map-camera zoom is restored. Placing large blueprints is far too cumbersome otherwise.
i really dislike the zoom to world level now as well. can zoom out farther in normal mode than you can in map view. this was the best feature of the new map view mode, as it allowed you to inspect things from greater distance. now its useless

utoxin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by utoxin »

tk0421 wrote:either there was an undocumented nerf to nuclear power and teperatures, or something in todays release broke it...

Did you play much in 0.15.11? There were some changes to heat pipes yesterday.

porcupine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by porcupine »

tk0421 wrote:either there was an undocumented nerf to nuclear power and teperatures, or something in todays release broke it...

You sure that wasn't from yesterdays .11 release? Heat-pipes got re-worked to loose heat over distance (not sure if they actually "loose" heat (IE: to atmosphere), or simply loose the ability to pass heat (IE: not "lost", but choked).

If you parallel your heat pipes, you'll get more throughput from 'em.

tk0421
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tk0421 »

utoxin wrote:

Did you play much in 0.15.11? There were some changes to heat pipes yesterday.
yes, even happens in my saves. temps plummet to 534 and will not change

Pockets
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pockets »

Rseding91 wrote:
Blackraz0r wrote:
Can this be changed on the console, or with a mod? If you are not going to make it configurable in Vanilla, at least let it be moddable.

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kelderek »

SeaRyanC wrote:Not updating until the 0.15.10 level of map-camera zoom is restored. Placing large blueprints is far too cumbersome otherwise.
Maybe the design intent is that for large enough blueprints and construction work you should actually go to that location in person? Also it is a bit lame to make a demand like this for a feature that never existed prior to a short while ago and now you won't update until you get it exactly the way you want it. That's a poor attitude to have for features in an experimental alpha release.
tk0421 wrote:i really dislike the zoom to world level now as well. can zoom out farther in normal mode than you can in map view. this was the best feature of the new map view mode, as it allowed you to inspect things from greater distance. now its useless
Useless? That's a bit harsh. What did you do before this feature was added? It sounds to me like you're hoping for some kind of "God Mode". It makes no sense to me that the view you get from radar coverage is as good or better than what you can see in person. In my opinion it should definitely be lower quality and lower range, but that doesn't equate to being useless. You're just mad because you want to use it differently than it was intended, you want a god mode and that is not what this is for. The intent seems to be for you to get the gist of what is happening at another location and to have some small construction capability from that distance, but to have it be just as good as what you can do in person is taking it a bit too far in my mind.

Consider espionage. You always get better info from a human on the ground than from a spy satellite in orbit. This is the same concept but with radar coverage instead. If you want the best ability and access then you should have to go there in person and apart from that there are still some useful things you can do from far away using the map view. If that prevents placing ridiculously large blueprints from the map view then I am ok with that -- make your blueprints smaller or just move your lazy butt over to that spot.

If you're that desperate for a change, I'm sure someone could mod it to be the way you want it. I think the devs are on the right track for how it should be in vanilla.

SeaRyanC
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SeaRyanC »

Consider espionage. You always get better info from a human on the ground than from a spy satellite in orbit.
I'm confused why my avatar, standing in between two buildings, can see see the productivity modules in a furnace 300 meters away better than the radar right next to it can.
Maybe the design intent is that for large enough blueprints and construction work you should actually go to that location in person?
I am there. I'm switching to map mode because I can't see why the off-screen portion of my blueprint isn't placing cleanly.

It would be awesome if the devs would actually talk about what the design intent is when they make posts like "It was not working as intended before" so I could develop a mental model of what's expected and what's not. klonan and rseding91 seem to like to say "it's working (or wasn't working) as intended" without actually speaking to what the intent is. Same thing with the previous bad heat pipe behavior, it's just "It's working as intended" - the intent is what, exactly?

jarcionek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jarcionek »

Kelderek wrote:
Maybe the design intent is that for large enough blueprints and construction work you should actually go to that location in person? Also it is a bit lame to make a demand like this for a feature that never existed prior to a short while ago and now you won't update until you get it exactly the way you want it. That's a poor attitude to have for features in an experimental alpha release.
tk0421 wrote:i really dislike the zoom to world level now as well. can zoom out farther in normal mode than you can in map view. this was the best feature of the new map view mode, as it allowed you to inspect things from greater distance. now its useless
Useless? That's a bit harsh. What did you do before this feature was added? It sounds to me like you're hoping for some kind of "God Mode". It makes no sense to me that the view you get from radar coverage is as good or better than what you can see in person. In my opinion it should definitely be lower quality and lower range, but that doesn't equate to being useless. You're just mad because you want to use it differently than it was intended, you want a god mode and that is not what this is for. The intent seems to be for you to get the gist of what is happening at another location and to have some small construction capability from that distance, but to have it be just as good as what you can do in person is taking it a bit too far in my mind.

Consider espionage. You always get better info from a human on the ground than from a spy satellite in orbit. This is the same concept but with radar coverage instead. If you want the best ability and access then you should have to go there in person and apart from that there are still some useful things you can do from far away using the map view. If that prevents placing ridiculously large blueprints from the map view then I am ok with that -- make your blueprints smaller or just move your lazy butt over to that spot.

If you're that desperate for a change, I'm sure someone could mod it to be the way you want it. I think the devs are on the right track for how it should be in vanilla.
Let me remind you that the game is about automation. You don't do the same micro-management over and over again, instead you design small component, copy it into a blueprint and paste multiple times, then create bigger component and so on... After a few hundred hours on a single map, you will have a factory that takes a couple of minutes to go from one end to the other - and I am not talking here about mines or a solar plant.

I have done a few hundred hours of running around the factory - that's enough, now I want to expand it by pasting bigger and bigger blueprints and the new map was perfect for it until it was drastically made worse for no clear reason.

Do you think it's overpowered? So let's turn it into technologies:
  • one for enabling the `world view` on the map and decreasing the zoom level at which you can still see the world on the map
  • one for reducing the noise level on the map - let's make the noise annoying at the beginning, just like it was in 0.15.0 (or maybe even more annoying than that)
  • one for maximum distance from the player where the map can still switch to `world view` - this one can be infinite research, although I would make the cost linear, not exponential
This way it wouldn't be available early in the game - so you still have to do a lot of running - but as you progress through the game it would allow you to do more and more remotely.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

boy, lots of people bitching about the blueprint from map view thing.
in my opinion you shouldn't even be able to lay a blueprint in that mode. feels like cheating.
get off your ass, get over there and lay it yourself. :lol:

Return to “Releases”