Version 0.15.9

Information about releases and roadmap.
M16
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Version 0.15.9

Post by M16 »

vedrit wrote:
Bergzwerg wrote:can we expect the ability to filter chests like cargo wagons?
was really hoping for this to be in .15
Please make this happen. Oh good lorde this would be amazing.
I really hope it's not. Maybe the ability to filter storage chests, because those are more advanced, but not the ability to filter every chest. If that happened, then we just use normal inserters into filtered chests, and bam we have filter inserters.

KnoT
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by KnoT »

Any info about belt multithreading? IT was some time ago in FFF but i havent seen any info about it in any of the changelogs?
Last edited by KnoT on Mon May 08, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

KnoT wrote:Any info about belt multithreading? IT was same time ago in FFF but i havent seen any info about it in any of the changelogs?
Officially postponed until 0.16, but I have hope for it to come in a dedicated release in between.
Edit: It has nothing to do with multithreading, it is about removing unnecessary simulations AFAIK.

Aru
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Aru »

"The only currently planned gameplay features are the artillery train and (probably) the spidertron."

.... Spidertron?!?!?!? Is that in any way inspired by the arachnotron? Anyone else remember the level Dead Simple... that game was scary when I was younger.

KnoT
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by KnoT »

Loewchen wrote:
KnoT wrote:Any info about belt multithreading? IT was same time ago in FFF but i havent seen any info about it in any of the changelogs?
Officially postponed until 0.16, but I have hope for it to come in a dedicated release in between.

Thx!, Can't w8 =]

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Aru wrote:Anyone else remember the level Dead Simple...
I don't even need the "arachnotron" context to recall that game, even though I've not played it in probably 20 years.

Zarnoo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zarnoo »

I know it's a small thing, but could you post the change log as a seperate downloadable file on the downloads page ? It's just sometimes nice to be able to look at what's changed in a release before you download it.

Z

Mion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mion »

Zarnoo wrote:I know it's a small thing, but could you post the change log as a seperate downloadable file on the downloads page ? It's just sometimes nice to be able to look at what's changed in a release before you download it.

Z
You can find file changelog.txt in the directory "your_games_folder/Factorio/data".

Added:
Or you can ask somebody on this forum (who already download new release) to send you this file :) .

porcupine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by porcupine »

Ok, so I'm playing my new 0.15 deathworld, and this is pretty savage, I'm loving it, but I've run into two oddities:

#1 - So the tank was essential, one of the first times I could ever say that. I was at deadlock with the biters before it... I couldn't help but notice though that the flamethrower looks like a lame blow-torch. I know a lot of work went into the mechanics of fire/flame throwers/etc. a few versions back, why don't they apply to the tank, everything else got re-fit with the new flamethrower awesomeness, but not the tank?!

#2 - As I'm working on making a sushi belt for my science, figure I'd do it different then any previous play-thru, etc., I can't help but notice as I connect a [red/green] wire up to the belt, it makes that little stopper/counter/whatever mechanism right (which is a pretty hidden feature TBH). I'm left to wonder, why is it I can't connect my wire to a fluid pipe and do the same? Why does a valve not appear/etc? I'm sure somebody must have suggested this before, but it seems like such an oversight, the mechanic for the belt and the pipe are effectively the same, but only one exists, why?

milo christiansen
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by milo christiansen »

For #1: I understand that the tank flame thrower was a quick addition that is intended to become something else (acid sprayer was mentioned) later. It is not supposed to be a proper flame thrower, but a short range area weapon to keep biters off you while retreating or whatever.

As for #2: If you need valves use pumps, that is one of their main purposes. I to wish you could read fluid in a pipe, but for now tanks work OK.

porcupine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by porcupine »

milo christiansen wrote:For #1: I understand that the tank flame thrower was a quick addition that is intended to become something else (acid sprayer was mentioned) later. It is not supposed to be a proper flame thrower, but a short range area weapon to keep biters off you while retreating or whatever.

As for #2: If you need valves use pumps, that is one of their main purposes. I to wish you could read fluid in a pipe, but for now tanks work OK.
Both items seem like lazy hacks, in a game with so much polish, that's why I pointed 'em out :).

I wasn't expecting a full flame thrower/distance/etc., but to make a beautiful mechanic, graphics, etc., and then not use it? For shame!

For the pipe... that's just obvious, I do use pumps for that now, but it's entirely clunky (and let's face it, pumps would still serve their normal purpose if that mechanic was introduced). Being able to read fluid, being able to open/close at given signals, etc., I know my uses would be fairly limited, but I can only imagine what some people would come up with, given the opportunity :D

Tev
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tev »

porcupine wrote:
milo christiansen wrote:For #1: I understand that the tank flame thrower was a quick addition that is intended to become something else (acid sprayer was mentioned) later. It is not supposed to be a proper flame thrower, but a short range area weapon to keep biters off you while retreating or whatever.

Both items seem like lazy hacks, in a game with so much polish, that's why I pointed 'em out :).

I wasn't expecting a full flame thrower/distance/etc., but to make a beautiful mechanic, graphics, etc., and then not use it? For shame!

For the pipe... that's just obvious, I do use pumps for that now, but it's entirely clunky (and let's face it, pumps would still serve their normal purpose if that mechanic was introduced). Being able to read fluid, being able to open/close at given signals, etc., I know my uses would be fairly limited, but I can only imagine what some people would come up with, given the opportunity :D
#1 tank with actual upgradable flamethrower would be even more broken than it is now. It would have no problems even with behemoths, just spraying everything with fire and watching it die . . . even poison capsules are close to that today, but you can't see through them (which you need for avoiding behemoths), so it is limited and not-so-overpowered.

Polishing out things takes a lot of time, have patience with devs.

#2 reading contents from storage tanks is totally ok, because fluids tend to on average have similar levels in entire network, unless it is crazy wide, or with very localized high-rate production / consumption, which would invalidate your desired readings anyway because of fluctuations. Actually because of fluctuations I don't see much reason to read levels in single pipes . . . Pressure reading would be of course much less "clunky", but would require implementation of completely new mechanic.

searker
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by searker »

Mion wrote:
Zarnoo wrote:I know it's a small thing, but could you post the change log as a seperate downloadable file on the downloads page ? It's just sometimes nice to be able to look at what's changed in a release before you download it.

Z
You can find file changelog.txt in the directory "your_games_folder/Factorio/data".

Added:
Or you can ask somebody on this forum (who already download new release) to send you this file :) .
Or just look at these Threads here since they are automatically generated whenever a new version comes out and the OP always contains the changelog ;)

porcupine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by porcupine »

Tev wrote:#1 tank with actual upgradable flamethrower would be even more broken than it is now. It would have no problems even with behemoths, just spraying everything with fire and watching it die . . . even poison capsules are close to that today, but you can't see through them (which you need for avoiding behemoths), so it is limited and not-so-overpowered.
Sure, making it equivalent to others might not make sense, but what I'm saying isn't about power, it's about mechanic. The turrets/etc. have a 3d effect, they "toss" the fire, the fire burns, etc. Maybe the tank throwing has less range/power, but still throws fire, still makes stuff burn, maybe that initial fire does less damage, but can still set the forest ablaze, etc. Right now, they've developed a beautiful setup, and not used it, that's a waste, visually, and game-play wise, that's what I'm saying, it doesn't feel clean, it feels clunky and tacked on, that's where my input is directing.
Tev wrote: #2 reading contents from storage tanks is totally ok, because fluids tend to on average have similar levels in entire network, unless it is crazy wide, or with very localized high-rate production / consumption, which would invalidate your desired readings anyway because of fluctuations. Actually because of fluctuations I don't see much reason to read levels in single pipes . . . Pressure reading would be of course much less "clunky", but would require implementation of completely new mechanic.
Remember the ones on belts can do more than that though, they can detect units present, or units passed, or impede/allow flow. Pipes could do all of that fairly easily, and it's not hard to see how that might be useful. IE: not just getting pressure, but also a measure of units passed through, and a on/off behavior, same as belts.

IE: I could imagine a sushi-belt style main liquid bus. All the liquids use one set of pipes, valves open/close to allow buffer tanks to move 'em, etc. I guess you could already do this fairly easily with pumps (and you'd need pumps that way either way), but I'm sure people would do interesting stuff, with it (like they already do with belts).

Tev
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tev »

porcupine wrote:Remember the ones on belts can do more than that though, they can detect units present, or units passed, or impede/allow flow. Pipes could do all of that fairly easily, and it's not hard to see how that might be useful. IE: not just getting pressure, but also a measure of units passed through, and a on/off behavior, same as belts.
It's like you've never actually observed pipe behavior. Either way this is wrong topic in wrong forum to discuss this, go to suggestions.

Speadge
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Speadge »

I think the "noise effect" in mapview-zoom is way to low now. can i change it somewhere?

I often take the mapview for normal and forget to leave it. Would be nice if i could change it to a little bit more.

Zarnoo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zarnoo »

searker wrote:
Mion wrote:

Z

Added:
Or just look at these Threads here since they are automatically generated whenever a new version comes out and the OP always contains the changelog ;)
Dooh, I see that now.. Thanks.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Any news when belt/pipe optimizations will get in? Plus that sweet update threading?

_alphaBeta_
Inserter
Inserter

Post by _alphaBeta_ »

Am I missing how to avoid having the speaker alerts stack as one icon? Ideally I'd like an icon for each alert along the bottom of the screen. I'll elaborate on the use-case for this if this query ultimately turns into a suggestion, but I wanted to first ensure I wasn't missing functionality already there. Where do suggestions for the experimental builds go btw? Do we use the standard Ideas and Suggestions forum?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

cpy wrote:Any news when belt/pipe optimizations will get in?
See 15 posts back.
cpy wrote: Plus that sweet update threading?
Multithreading update? The method was colliding with other improvements that on their own had a bigger impact AFAIK, so it got cancelled.

Return to “Releases”