Version 0.14.22

Information about releases and roadmap.
AssaultRaven
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Version 0.14.22

Post by AssaultRaven »

I seem to have some intermittent slowdowns that weren't happening before. Every so often, the game will slow down to about half speed for a second. I'm playing the same save as before, when this didn't happen. Also, before, my factory was running at full tilt. Right now, when these slowdowns are happening, I'm reworking my furnaces, and so the entire factory is at a stand-still.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

posila wrote:EDIT: Actually we have issues with OpenGL occasionally too. On some Mac computers it claims 16k texture is supported, but when the game tries to use it, OpenGL crashes the game.
Does that bug crash the game early on or after about an hour? Reason I ask is that I have a few Mac games that seem to crash about an hour in to gameplay and the devs of those games don't seem to be finding any solutions any time soon.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

aubergine18 wrote:Does that bug crash the game early on or after about an hour? Reason I ask is that I have a few Mac games that seem to crash about an hour in to gameplay and the devs of those games don't seem to be finding any solutions any time soon.
In our case it crashes during startup. Is Factorio one of those games? :)
AssaultRaven wrote:I seem to have some intermittent slowdowns that weren't happening before. Every so often, the game will slow down to about half speed for a second. I'm playing the same save as before, when this didn't happen. Also, before, my factory was running at full tilt. Right now, when these slowdowns are happening, I'm reworking my furnaces, and so the entire factory is at a stand-still.
I think it is just coincidence your save got slower after the update, but it is still strange that it would slow down while your factory stopped. Can you share the save?

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

posila wrote:In our case it crashes during startup. Is Factorio one of those games? :)
Yes, Factorio was borking for me but your team pointed me to a fix within a matter of hours of reporting it; specifically adding `--max-texture-size=4096` (yes, my gfx card is that old) to launch parameters in Steam and I've never had problem since.

I suspect other game suffer from similar problems, but sadly their devs/support are nothing in comparison to what you at Wube achieve on a constant basis.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

AssaultRaven
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AssaultRaven »

posila wrote:
AssaultRaven wrote:I seem to have some intermittent slowdowns that weren't happening before. Every so often, the game will slow down to about half speed for a second. I'm playing the same save as before, when this didn't happen. Also, before, my factory was running at full tilt. Right now, when these slowdowns are happening, I'm reworking my furnaces, and so the entire factory is at a stand-still.
I think it is just coincidence your save got slower after the update, but it is still strange that it would slow down while your factory stopped. Can you share the save?
This is the save. Normally it runs at a solid 60/60, but sometimes drops to 40 for a second before picking back up. It seems to be completely random, and the factory is almost halted again because of all iron mines being exhausted at the moment. It wasn't doing this before, despite the factory already being at the point where it was launching rockets.
Attachments
multi 2017-02-04 1814.zip
(18.25 MiB) Downloaded 156 times

AssaultRaven
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AssaultRaven »

Seems to have gone away, even with the factory in high production. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Xenomorph
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xenomorph »

Since this update my Power Rail mod cause an error when i deconstruct a part of the track...

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Xenomorph wrote:Since this update my Power Rail mod cause an error when i deconstruct a part of the track...
That has nothing to do with the update. We didn't change anything that would cause mod related errors so what ever error you're getting exists in 0.14.21 as well.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Duxa
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Duxa »

I am playing with 1 other person. I am hosting the game on an i7, GTX 1070, 12GB of RAM system. The other person is geographically about 50 miles away from me and ping between us is 6ms or so.

After a while (maybe 10 hours into our play) the person started having lag spikes every 5 seconds or so. They are on an i7 GTX 970 16GB ram. On my end I see the progress bar in the top left appear that they are going to be disconnected for a few seconds then it recovers.

This issue was there on 0.14.21 as well (I am not sure about before since we just got the game a few months ago).

What solved it is setting "minimum_multiplayer_latency" in the cfg file to 30. (I havent tried lower settings).

My guess is that the game does automatic latency calculation and in our case since we are so close it must be calculating very low latency, but then if there is a spike on one of the hops it makes the game stutter, but forcing latency to be higher at all times alleviates this?

This isnt a huge issue since there is a workaround, but I thought Id point it out in case there is something on your end you can look at / fix. Also is it possible to add a slider or numberical value box in the game menus so that one doesnt have to navigate to the cfg file to change this? By the way when this is happening on my side (host) there are no issues at all.

The only issue with forced increased latency my friend said that controlling vehicles is harder as it keeps turning a little past where you let go of the left/right button, so you have to under compensate. Strange that it would be noticeable at 30ms.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Duxa wrote:I am playing with 1 other person. I am hosting the game on an i7, GTX 1070, 12GB of RAM system. The other person is geographically about 50 miles away from me and ping between us is 6ms or so.

After a while (maybe 10 hours into our play) the person started having lag spikes every 5 seconds or so. They are on an i7 GTX 970 16GB ram. On my end I see the progress bar in the top left appear that they are going to be disconnected for a few seconds then it recovers.

This issue was there on 0.14.21 as well (I am not sure about before since we just got the game a few months ago).

What solved it is setting "minimum_multiplayer_latency" in the cfg file to 30. (I havent tried lower settings).

My guess is that the game does automatic latency calculation and in our case since we are so close it must be calculating very low latency, but then if there is a spike on one of the hops it makes the game stutter, but forcing latency to be higher at all times alleviates this?

This isnt a huge issue since there is a workaround, but I thought Id point it out in case there is something on your end you can look at / fix. Also is it possible to add a slider or numberical value box in the game menus so that one doesnt have to navigate to the cfg file to change this? By the way when this is happening on my side (host) there are no issues at all.

The only issue with forced increased latency my friend said that controlling vehicles is harder as it keeps turning a little past where you let go of the left/right button, so you have to under compensate. Strange that it would be noticeable at 30ms.

The latency setting is fixed in 0.15, and there is some plan to add car driving to the latency state in the future

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Duxa wrote:The only issue with forced increased latency my friend said that controlling vehicles is harder as it keeps turning a little past where you let go of the left/right button, so you have to under compensate. Strange that it would be noticeable at 30ms.
A minium latency setting of 30 is not "30 ms" but "30 ticks" which is 30 * 16.66~ or 500 ms.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Rseding91 wrote:A minium latency setting of 30 is not "30 ms" but "30 ticks" which is 30 * 16.66~ or 500 ms.
That is very confusing, every other game measures latency in milliseconds.

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

DaveMcW wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:A minium latency setting of 30 is not "30 ms" but "30 ticks" which is 30 * 16.66~ or 500 ms.
But Factorio is not every other game.
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

Xeanoa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeanoa »

kinnom wrote:
DaveMcW wrote:
But Factorio is not every other game.
Which means it should come with a description. If something differs from the expected norm, you need to make people aware.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

DaveMcW wrote:
It was called minimum_latency_in_ticks when introduced for headless servers.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I remember back in 0.11, you had to specify your expected latency in milliseconds.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Releases”