Version 0.14.0

Information about releases and roadmap.
BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Version 0.14.0

Post by BenSeidel »

The solution for the mods that span multiple versions seems easy, keep the current behavior but allow multiple listings of versions, eg
"factorio_version": ["0.13","0.14"]
or allow multiple versions when a range is specified
"dependencies": ["base >= 0.13.17", base <= 0.14.00"]

The issues of mods and versioning will only become larger as more and more mods are developed, and the dependency tree becomes deeper and more complex. If the mod portal allowed versioning it would help slightly, as it would allow you to get the version of the mods required to get mod "x" working. Additionally, allowing the documentation of incompatible mods and their versions would be of great help as well. Perhaps project jigsaw could give some ideas how to tackle the problem, if the developers believe it is a problem at all.

Kovarex, while I agree with the points you have laid out, surely it should be easy enough to have the mod loading system to recognise what mod caused the issue (even if it is not the true culprit), and disable it, as opposed to making the user find his or her mod directory and either delete (or move) the mods they suspect are causing the issue until they find the correct one(s). Hell, even just adding the mod name to the error message would go far in alleviating this issue.

Anyway, keep up the great work. 0.14 and the new network system is a dream! I have already tested it in a 4 player game over Australian Internet with no lag when before we could only play on lan so Thanks!! Can't wait to set up a "repair and rebuild" train.... now if only the personal roboport allowed logistics robots.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

kovarex wrote:There is no middleground. 0.14 is quite special, as it doesn't invalidate most of the mods, but other major releases are not like that. And we prefer to make it easy for the users rather than mod developers. You would have to update your mod once, but thousands of users (potentially) would have to manually solve problems if they get outdated mod in their mod folders.
But as an user, I feel inconvenient since almost all of my installed mods are disabled. Now, I have to wait their authors to update and then I have to download the mods again.

While I agree that a normal major release will break mods due to big change in the base game structure, is it possible to make 0.14 also support 0.13 mods, as you have said 0.14 is quite special? :)

And for further discussion, is it possible to add preprocessors in lua? Like in Unity, there are preprocessors for differentiating different Unity versions as well as series, e.g. UNITY_5 for the whole Unity 5 series, UNITY_5_1 for Unity 5.1.
Last edited by Mooncat on Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

BenSeidel wrote:or allow multiple versions when a range is specified
Would be the best solution in my opinion... a range in between two versions in which a mod is considered valid. The Mod writer would only have to update once, and the game would only have to check if the current game version is within the range.

Because specifing each individual version of the base for which the Mod is valid is cumbersome... and 0.13, 0.14 is just way too "vague"... since sometimes things change even in sub-verisons and that wouldn't be covered then (like something being valid for 0.14.3 but not being valid anymore in 0.14.4 as example)

[edit] But if I think more about it... it wouldn't really help either because then the mod writer would have to update every single time when the base gets updated or otherwise the mod is out of range, which would suck too.

Mhmhm... interesting dilemma. Maybe a mod breaking update should really be a major version... and during sub-versions there cannot be any mod-breaking updates.
Last edited by MeduSalem on Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

winkieman
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by winkieman »

I want my Tree-collision mod back! That is the one mod I think should have been part of the base game.

theamazingrando
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by theamazingrando »

I had an idea awhile back about modules in vehicles[0], this is going to be awesome!

I also articulated in that idea that factory and equipment modules could be combined. There's no real reason for the exoskeleton equipment module if we could just load a speed module in instead. Some of them might not make sense in both, but some of the current functionality could be extracted. For example, I'm thinking of having a "Requester module" that could be put in armor, in a cargo wagon, in an assembler, or in a chest, and this would provide the normal logistics requester functionality to all of those.

[0]: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17564

Samihazah
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Samihazah »

RichPL wrote:Is there a reason my logi bots now ignore me? - both to load items and unload items (via auto-trash) ...

I used to get floods of bots tending me whenever I arrived into a logi controll zone .. now nothing happens at all...
I have the same issue.

bbgun06
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by bbgun06 »

"Players automatically quit game after 3 desyncs"
This is good if a player is desyncing constantly. However in my games I sometimes desync only once an hour or so. Is there a timer that resets the counter?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Not currently, but we need motivate people to report desyncs so we can eliminate them as well :)

illmaren
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by illmaren »

Download Speed is going to hell...

in 0.13.18 = 5MB/s
in 0.14.01 = 0,5MB/s

shouldnt´t it be going to the other direction?

Bi0nicM4n
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bi0nicM4n »

FactorioBot wrote:
  • Modding
    • Added support for equipment grids in cars, tanks, locomotives, and cargo wagons.
So, can I put fusion reactors into my locomotives and make them ride with no fuel? Also having personal roboports in trains is gonna accelerate outpost construction tremendously. :D

roy7
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by roy7 »

kovarex wrote:Not currently, but we need motivate people to report desyncs so we can eliminate them as well :)
Factorio One USA had ~27 people yesterday for a while, we reported some. :) Sounds like it might be fixed for 0.14.2 which we're eager to try, since many people just have desync loops now on 0.14.1 and can't join (I'm one of them, can't connect at all any more). (Apparently it's the personal logistics deysnc.)

I for one will be sure to report every desync I experience once 0.14.2 drops.

AutoMcD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AutoMcD »

so i don't see grid on tank. do I have to rebuild it or is this mod only? did anyone slam out a simple mod for this yet? Just spent about 10 minutes poking around and I feel than I'm missing something here.
edit:
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Lejving/Grid

found this

Rakkfalen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Rakkfalen »

RichPL wrote:
Is there a reason my logi bots now ignore me? - both to load items and unload items (via auto-trash) ...

I used to get floods of bots tending me whenever I arrived into a logi controll zone .. now nothing happens at all...
I am seeing this as well. They were working fine for a while, I left the area to go build things, and when I came back the robots ignored me, not taking trash items or bringing requested items.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Rakkfalen wrote:
RichPL wrote:
Is there a reason my logi bots now ignore me? - both to load items and unload items (via auto-trash) ...

I am seeing this as well. They were working fine for a while, I left the area to go build things, and when I came back the robots ignored me, not taking trash items or bringing requested items.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=31586

Wolfolo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Wolfolo »

BenSeidel wrote:The solution for the mods that span multiple versions seems easy, keep the current behavior but allow multiple listings of versions, eg
"factorio_version": ["0.13","0.14"]
or allow multiple versions when a range is specified
Just do like Composer does: https://getcomposer.org/doc/articles/versions.md

bbgun06
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by bbgun06 »

kovarex wrote:Not currently, but we need motivate people to report desyncs so we can eliminate them as well :)
Is there a specific place we should upload those? What if we don't know what caused them? I could spawn dozens of new threads in the bug tracker, but I'm not sure how helpful that would be.

commandoby
Inserter
Inserter

Post by commandoby »

Modding
Added support for equipment grids in cars, tanks, locomotives, and cargo wagons.
Changed equipment grids to work as protoypes: defined and referenced by things that use them.
Changed equipment and equipment grids to have categories that define what equipment can go in what equipment grid.
Эта функция работает только с модами? А то у меня сеток в транспорте нет.
Translation: Does this function work only with mods? And then I do not have grids in transport.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

commandoby wrote:
Modding
Added support for equipment grids in cars, tanks, locomotives, and cargo wagons.
Changed equipment grids to work as protoypes: defined and referenced by things that use them.
Changed equipment and equipment grids to have categories that define what equipment can go in what equipment grid.
Эта функция работает только с модами? А то у меня сеток в транспорте нет.
Translation: Does this function work only with mods? And then I do not have grids in transport.
There is no entity in vanilla that uses them yet, so yes, they only exist in mods that use the feature.

commandoby
Inserter
Inserter

Post by commandoby »

Loewchen wrote:There is no entity in vanilla that uses them yet, so yes, they only exist in mods that use the feature.
Спасибо за ответ.
[Koub] Is it so hard to add Thank You in English ?

Return to “Releases”