Version 0.14.0

Information about releases and roadmap.
Peppe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Version 0.14.0

Post by Peppe »

TheTom wrote:You need to update. All mods broke. This definitely need some (a lot) more rework. But for now - waiting for the mods to update...
This is overkill for a game with a modding API.

Give me an opt-in to experimental the mods, override, or warn only.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

And the update happened a few hours after I updated my mod, too.

Still optimistic about grid mechanics, at least until I investigate.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Klonan wrote:When they update to 0.14, they can actually load the game, and update and see which mods have not been updated
So once in a while, you choose to reset all mods, to see which ones are going to be updated :-) That's rude, but I suppose it's a good filter :-D

Still wonder if you could find another way to deal with deprecated mods. Maybe find a way to invalidate only those who did not update at last version.
Ex: accept mods thatwere updated during N-1 (obviously they are still alive), but invalidate those were last updated during N-2.

Another way : you have access to mod portal stats : so you can see which mod was recently used/installed/updated by players. Obviously these ones are still alive.
My mods on the Factorio Mod Portal :geek:

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

hm... I thought "base >= 0.13" is true for 0.14... was quite surprised to see almost all of my installed mods are disabled after updating to 0.14. :shock:

In my opinion, killing all mods with "base >= 0.13" is not necessary. Compatibility is not a good reason for that, because if you look back to the 0.13 phase, there were some API changes that broke many mods, especially the change to the on_load event. You may say these mods are deserved since they misused on_load. But they did break after that update and many players didn't know why.

So, I think supporting mods for >=0.13 in 0.14 is better. The solutions of binbinhfr may also work.

Edit: turns out it is not the "base >= 0.13" killing the mods. It is the "factorio_version" tag killing them! :?
Last edited by Mooncat on Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

iamwyza
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by iamwyza »

Klonan wrote:
binbinhfr wrote:
kovarex wrote:This invalidates all the mods for old version automatically, it might be little annoying, but it solves a lot of trouble.
Only on a modding point of view, there is not much difference between 0.14.0 and 0.13.18 than between 0.13.17 and 0.13.18 . So why this need to reset ? You did not force us to reset between 0.13.17 and 0.13.18... Mysterious to me... And effectively very annoying when you have more than 20 mods to update... :-(

By the way, I still use Dependencies on base, because sometimes you change API between 2 subversions and the mod is not retro compatible in this case, otherwise people who do not update factorio, but update the mod have problems.

For the end user this system works better,
When they update to 0.14, they can actually load the game, and update and see which mods have not been updated,
Before, when you update say 0.11 to 0.12, your game would just crash when it tried to load, and you would have to manually go to the mods folder and delete mods until it worked
Except now mod authors have to maintain multiple versions of the same mod where quite likely the only difference is that 1 line. As long as the API for the functions they are using hasn't changed, it should be compatible. If it has changed then they can have 2 different versions where one has the new API and one has the old.

Nurstin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Nurstin »

Changed LauItemStack::grid to return nil if the item doesn't have a grid.
I hope this doesn't require all of the Lua code to be changed into Lau code.

Kamel
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kamel »

iamwyza wrote:
Klonan wrote:
binbinhfr wrote:
kovarex wrote:This invalidates all the mods for old version automatically, it might be little annoying, but it solves a lot of trouble.
Only on a modding point of view, there is not much difference between 0.14.0 and 0.13.18 than between 0.13.17 and 0.13.18 . So why this need to reset ? You did not force us to reset between 0.13.17 and 0.13.18... Mysterious to me... And effectively very annoying when you have more than 20 mods to update... :-(

By the way, I still use Dependencies on base, because sometimes you change API between 2 subversions and the mod is not retro compatible in this case, otherwise people who do not update factorio, but update the mod have problems.

For the end user this system works better,
When they update to 0.14, they can actually load the game, and update and see which mods have not been updated,
Before, when you update say 0.11 to 0.12, your game would just crash when it tried to load, and you would have to manually go to the mods folder and delete mods until it worked
Except now mod authors have to maintain multiple versions of the same mod where quite likely the only difference is that 1 line. As long as the API for the functions they are using hasn't changed, it should be compatible. If it has changed then they can have 2 different versions where one has the new API and one has the old.
One 0.12 and one 0.14? Stable and Experimental branch? Sounds good to me.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Nurstin wrote:
Changed LauItemStack::grid to return nil if the item doesn't have a grid.
I hope this doesn't require all of the Lua code to be changed into Lau code.
Or worse : in ULLA code, see this very old but famous french advertising :-D
3615-ULLA-e1340872097440.jpg
3615-ULLA-e1340872097440.jpg (58.13 KiB) Viewed 6518 times
My mods on the Factorio Mod Portal :geek:

Uxi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Uxi »

How does one select 0.13.18 on Steam?

I can only select between 0.12.35 and 0.14.0...
Steam.PNG
Steam.PNG (12.67 KiB) Viewed 6514 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Uxi wrote:How does one select 0.13.18 on Steam?

Steam.PNG
Don't use any beta...

Rockstar04
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Rockstar04 »

Uxi wrote:How does one select 0.13.18 on Steam?

Steam.PNG
-None- Should get you 13.18

Bl00drav3n
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bl00drav3n »

Yes, 0.13.18 is the current stable.

I also would like for the mod-updater to not update mods to an incompatible version.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

Kamel wrote:One 0.12 and one 0.14? Stable and Experimental branch? Sounds good to me.
One for 0.13 and one for 0.14.
Yes, 0.13 and 0.14 are very similar. Yet, all mods for 0.13 that have

Code: Select all

"factorio_version": "0.13",
"dependencies": ["base >= 0.13.17"]
in their info.json are now incompatible to 0.14.

Mod authors have to update their mods with just a single change to the factorio_version. It is very annoying. :(
Yes, I have tried.

Code: Select all

"factorio_version": "0.14",
"dependencies": ["base >= 0.13.17"]
works in Factorio 0.14.

Please reconsider to add back the compatibility to 0.13+ mods.

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

So if i update my mod with factorio_version = 0.14 , all my users who are on .13 still (99.9%) will be unable to load the mod, and the few who have started using 0.14 already will not be able to use it.

Where is the safe middleground? How can I update my mod so that both 0.13.18 and 0.14 users can use it without a huge headache?

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

kyranzor wrote:So if i update my mod with factorio_version = 0.14 , all my users who are on .13 still (99.9%) will be unable to load the mod, and the few who have started using 0.14 already will not be able to use it.

Where is the safe middleground? How can I update my mod so that both 0.13.18 and 0.14 users can use it without a huge headache?
Experimental is what it says: "experimental" = for trial only.
Therefore whining about it not the mod to handle that :-)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

kyranzor wrote:So if i update my mod with factorio_version = 0.14 , all my users who are on .13 still (99.9%) will be unable to load the mod, and the few who have started using 0.14 already will not be able to use it.

There is no middleground. 0.14 is quite special, as it doesn't invalidate most of the mods, but other major releases are not like that. And we prefer to make it easy for the users rather than mod developers. You would have to update your mod once, but thousands of users (potentially) would have to manually solve problems if they get outdated mod in their mod folders.

RichPL
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by RichPL »

Is there a reason my logi bots now ignore me? - both to load items and unload items (via auto-trash) ...

I used to get floods of bots tending me whenever I arrived into a logi controll zone .. now nothing happens at all...

Peppe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Peppe »

kovarex wrote:

There is no middleground. 0.14 is quite special, as it doesn't invalidate most of the mods, but other major releases are not like that. And we prefer to make it easy for the users rather than mod developers. You would have to update your mod once, but thousands of users (potentially) would have to manually solve problems if they get outdated mod in their mod folders.
I think the issue is the in game update mods link pulls the latest version of a mod with no additional filter. Now users that don't update their game will get disabled mods on using the in game updater.

The in game updater should pull the latest version that matches the Game Version that is running. The field is already recorded/displayed on the mod portal site, so it should not be a big change to update the query driving what needs to update.

The in game mod search should also respect the game version field and not let you install mods that don't have a release for your current game version. Maybe even not display them if they incompatible? Right now i can using the in game interface search a mod that has a working .13 version in the download list on the website, but the latest is .14 and install it and have it not work in my .13 install on restart -- that is not intuitive/good.

With a change to search and update to respect the current game version, now a mod author can leave up their last .13 version and continue on in multiple versions side by side.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

kovarex wrote:

It's almost true... since now for each mod there is a need to publish same version twice with different factorio_version tag to allow people from both versions get the update. And since most of the code will work as is this will be the real pain for modders.
Maybe allow factorio_version to specify more versions at once?

PS.
Sneaky devs making new experimental with only slight hint in previous FF 8-)

roy7
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by roy7 »

It sounds like a config option to limit all combined map transfer uploads to X K/sec would be useful for people with smaller network pipes. If their upstream gets saturated with map transfer uploads, it'll slow things down for everyone.
Last edited by roy7 on Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Releases”