Version 0.13.6

Information about releases and roadmap.
ytsejam
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Version 0.13.6

Post by ytsejam »

The bugged terrain generation may not be gaming breaking, but it's really annoying. For now it's just impossible for those who like low/medium segmentation to get a proper biome. The small ponds everywhere are also pretty annoying, and I don't think landfill was designed to fix broken terrain.

Resource generation is another problem, but for me RSO fixed that. However, it needs to be fixed because at the moment, just like segmentation, we can't customize resource generation properly. "Oh, but a challenge is good" some will say, but that's pretty selfish. The point of so many map generation settings is that the player can customize everything, including how difficult they want the game to be when it comes to resources and enemies. That feature is not working in the current experimental release.

Anyway, it's experimental for a reason, I totally understand that. I'm glad they moved the map issues thread to the "confirmed" section in the bug reports forums, so I believe they will fix it eventually.
Unoxxis wrote:
Jj250 wrote:
Lalkin wrote:
I don't think that it is "quite" broken. This picture shows it pretty well to me: The map in the middle (the .12 one) looks extremely boring and unrealistic to me, while the outer map (.13) looks much more realisitc, especially regarding the water generation. Therefore I do not think you should call this a "bug" or "broken", because it is obviously a matter of taste. Some members of the community like the change and some do not. It's not broken, it's a design decision that some people personally don't like.
It is quite broken, because all the map generation options are there so you can customize terrain, resources and enemies the way you see fit. The .12 section looks boring and unrealistic to you, to me it looks great. The outer map looks great to you, to me it looks like sh*t. Not saying I'm right and you're wrong, that's personal preference. Also, this is not about "realism", the game is not aimed to be realistic (carrying a train in your pocket is not something I would call realistic), but the point is you're supposed to be able to control how your map will look like in the map settings, and that's just not possible right now, therefore it's broken.
Last edited by ytsejam on Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheNoobisHere
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TheNoobisHere »

While playing the game on Steam 0.13.6 (unmodded), I noticed some FPS drops while zooming out using the train preview. I dropped down to 8 FPS.

DanielCoffey
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DanielCoffey »

Bentham (MangledPork Gaming) commented on that too in his 0.13 features preview video. It might be worth actually submitting a proper bug report giving hardware specs, size of base, number of trains and fps at a given level of zoom so it can be tracked down. The preview window is probably displaying or checking something it doesn't need to.
Caselabs S8 : Intel 4770K 4.5GHz 1.275V / 32Gb 1600 / ASUS 780 Ti 3Gb 1274 boost, 7800 mem / Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb, Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb, Caviar Green 1Tb / Dell U2713H 2560x1440 / Corsair AX860I / APC SMT1000I / Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64-bit

TheTom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheTom »

Unoxxis wrote:
Jj250 wrote: I don't think that it is "quite" broken. This picture shows it pretty well to me: The map in the middle (the .12 one) looks extremely boring and unrealistic to me, while the outer map (.13) looks much more realisitc, especially regarding the water generation. Therefore I do not think you should call this a "bug" or "broken", because it is obviously a matter of taste. Some members of the community like the change and some do not. It's not broken, it's a design decision that some people personally don't like.
Noo ne cares what you like, and it is not realistic and fun. Period.

Why? Because objectively - not subjectivtly - all he options in the terrain generation do nothing, which means it is broken. Water only in starting area - results in a desert (ok), but water still everywhere, not only in the starting area. Segmentation for large biomes reuslts in the SAME as if not changing- which is objectively broken.

You have all the right to play in that LSD style terrain if you like. Seriously. But telling us it is ok because you like it while all the options that should do something are not working, and then telling it is not broken is ignorant.

I personally prefer water and biomes that are not just a couple of meters large. But the settings that worked beautifully in 0.12 just do not work now.

Bartimaeus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bartimaeus »

on another note... being able to select multiple mods at the same time (hold SHIFT and keep clicking) and then pressing INSTALL or TOGGLE once would be also very helpful ;-)

TheTom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheTom »

Bartimaeus wrote:on another note... being able to select multiple mods at the same time (hold SHIFT and keep clicking) and then pressing INSTALL or TOGGLE once would be also very helpful ;-)
Yes. Try downloading bob at the moment - painful. But not bad for a first iteration - I hope a lot more work happens there.

lancar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lancar »

I would like the ability to manually place down curved rail (without using the rail planner) returned to the game.

The planner is a godsend when it comes to building long stretches of rail, or trying to navigate tracks through tricky terrain. It's also great for designing many elements of a train station.
However, when it came to designing an 4-way intersection i immediately came upon some problems. Usually when I design these i plop down curved rails at certain distances, measuring and making sure that the intersection is completely symmetrical, the distances is just right, and that the entrances an exits are evenly spaced from one another.
Then, when I'm done, I make a blueprint of the whole contraption and never have to worry about making this construct again (for this game world).

The inability to put down curved rails really made it difficult for me to plan this area, and I'm sure there are other minor places where curved rail would be needed.
It doesn't need a recipe or anything, just change the piece into curved instead when you press CTRL when having it in the hand or something similar to that.

Also, I think the description of the rail could use a re-write. Currently, it doesn't tell you how to even enter the rail planner, just hints that it exists.

If manually placed curved is brought back, then something like:
"LMB to place rail. CTRL to switch rail type. SHIFT-LMB to lay ghost tracks. Click on an existing rail to enter the rail planner.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

lancar wrote:I would like the ability to manually place down curved rail (without using the rail planner) returned to the game.

The planner is a godsend when it comes to building long stretches of rail, or trying to navigate tracks through tricky terrain. It's also great for designing many elements of a train station.
However, when it came to designing an 4-way intersection i immediately came upon some problems. Usually when I design these i plop down curved rails at certain distances, measuring and making sure that the intersection is completely symmetrical, the distances is just right, and that the entrances an exits are evenly spaced from one another.
Then, when I'm done, I make a blueprint of the whole contraption and never have to worry about making this construct again (for this game world).

The inability to put down curved rails really made it difficult for me to plan this area, and I'm sure there are other minor places where curved rail would be needed.
It doesn't need a recipe or anything, just change the piece into curved instead when you press CTRL when having it in the hand or something similar to that.

Also, I think the description of the rail could use a re-write. Currently, it doesn't tell you how to even enter the rail planner, just hints that it exists.

"LMB to place rail. CTRL to switch rail type. SHIFT-LMB to lay ghost tracks. Click on an existing rail to enter the rail planner.
Sorry, this is one of those things you'll just have to get used to,
Though i will look at re-writing the rail tool tip

lancar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lancar »

Klonan wrote:
lancar wrote:I would like the ability to manually place down curved rail (without using the rail planner) returned to the game.

Sorry, this is one of those things you'll just have to get used to,
Though i will look at re-writing the rail tool tip
Well, thanks for the reply anyway. I did manage to design that intersection eventually, but it was fidgety as all hell. Still, due to blueprints, it's a one-off per game so I guess it's not too bad.

fpe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by fpe »

You could create a blueprint with just one curved rail piece in it. That way, you can still place single curved rails at arbitrary places like before.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

fpe wrote:You could create a blueprint with just one curved rail piece in it. That way, you can still place single curved rails at arbitrary places like before.
clever indeed - and so simple :P

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

brunzenstein wrote:
fpe wrote:You could create a blueprint with just one curved rail piece in it. That way, you can still place single curved rails at arbitrary places like before.
And as a bonus, I think they'll rotate logically as well. As in, you rotate once to the left, they'll actually rotate once to the left. No more counting to 5 when rotating rails.

lancar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lancar »

5thHorseman wrote:
brunzenstein wrote:
And as a bonus, I think they'll rotate logically as well. As in, you rotate once to the left, they'll actually rotate once to the left. No more counting to 5 when rotating rails.
Clever. I really didn't of that :) That's an acceptable workaround, for sure.
(even if I do think it's a bit weird that a constructable piece in the gameworld _has_ to be placed via a tool instead of directly like everything else. It's very inconsistent)

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

lancar wrote:(even if I do think it's a bit weird that a constructable piece in the gameworld _has_ to be placed via a tool instead of directly like everything else. It's very inconsistent)
Not really, if you think of the curved piece as 4 straight pieces. It's similar to how you can't drop a single piece into the world that converts iron ore into a gear wheel.

lancar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lancar »

5thHorseman wrote:
lancar wrote:(even if I do think it's a bit weird that a constructable piece in the gameworld _has_ to be placed via a tool instead of directly like everything else. It's very inconsistent)
Not really, if you think of the curved piece as 4 straight pieces. It's similar to how you can't drop a single piece into the world that converts iron ore into a gear wheel.
This comparison makes no sense.
You're gonna have to elaborate on this one ;)

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

I find the new track laying functionality : mechanism in 0.13 phantastic as it is. Some help splash icon would not hurt.
Any re-programming would be superfluous - to say the least.

Return to “Releases”