Information about releases and roadmap.
Killavirus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Version 0.13.6

Post by Killavirus »

HEY !!!

HEY HEY HEY !!!!

How on earth am I supposed to keep up if you keep on fixing stuff so quickly !!! :D

*GREAT WORK :D
Addiction Thy Name be Factorio, FACTORIO IS NOT A LIE.

Filias
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Filias »

When will be map generation fixed? I have oil only in start location (and only a few). Tons of enemies everywhere. It's quite frustrating game now :(

iamwyza
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by iamwyza »

Filias wrote:When will be map generation fixed? I have oil only in start location (and only a few). Tons of enemies everywhere. It's quite frustrating game now :(
Patience. They know it's an issue, but I am willing to be it's more complicated than alot of the game crashing fixes they've released. It'll be fixed when it's fixed. In the mean time you do have the option of using RSO to mostly mitigate the problems.

RichyNZ
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RichyNZ »

Filias wrote:When will be map generation fixed? I have oil only in start location (and only a few). Tons of enemies everywhere. It's quite frustrating game now :(
I've found that while there is normally only a little bit of oil near start and none more in sight, there are generally a few decent fields a little way out of starting sight radius. A couple of radars will uncover them so you know which way to start your rails. It seems to be all in their plan of getting people to work with trains and outposts more. Personally I quite like it....

Lalkin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Lalkin »

I have found resource generation to be fine.

On the maps I've made since 13.0 (about half a dozen) I've had some of all the resources nearby and then with just a little exploration I can find more. I like having things a bit more spaced out. Trains are more useful and you have to play with the biters some.

If you don't want to have to explore bump up the resource amount when you make a world.

If you don't like dealing with biters turn them down.

While there may be tweaks with the map generation the devs feel needed it is not currently broken like some people are implying.

stormforce770
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by stormforce770 »

What I do to avoid the map generation crazyness is to use a seed (map generation algorithmn) from a 0.12 save. It gives you a decent starting area.

ChurchOrganist
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ChurchOrganist »

If you adjust the settings you will get a playable map.

If you don't have enough of a resource turn it up.

If you have too many biters turn them down.

I have been finding stone and oil to be an issue on low settings. But raising the frequency works.
Want to know where the biters chewing your power plant have come from??
Wondering where your next iron is going to come from??
You need Long Range Radar

Filias
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Filias »

RichyNZ wrote:I've found that while there is normally only a little bit of oil near start and none more in sight, there are generally a few decent fields a little way out of starting sight radius. A couple of radars will uncover them so you know which way to start your rails. It seems to be all in their plan of getting people to work with trains and outposts more. Personally I quite like it....
Thanks for an advice. I have finally found it. It' quite far away but we have nice trains now.

RaviorMetal
Inserter
Inserter

Post by RaviorMetal »

When will be map generation fixed? I have oil only in start location (and only a few). Tons of enemies everywhere. It's quite frustrating game now :(
I somehow managed to generate a map with acceptable results, cleaned it up a little and found much oil in it by exploring. I've made it so that theres a few resources in the starting area and Trains are needed to gather other resources later on, where you have to fight a little before you can obtain them. I dont know the seed or the map exchange string (dont know how to get both later on). I uploaded my cleaned version of the map here:

http://venion.net/files/tn005.rar

It has approximately 3x3 screens in max zoomed out state from the editor pre generated and cleaned of resources except in the starting area.

SQLek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SQLek »

World gen works for me. Maybe the problem isn't that it is "not working" but that it "works different"?

I'm very happy with 0.13 branch. Thank You devs <3

ausonny
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ausonny »

SQLek wrote:World gen works for me. Maybe the problem isn't that it is "not working" but that it "works different"?

I can see why you might feel that way, except for those of us who play with water only in the starting area. That is completely broken.

jpwanabe
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jpwanabe »

Can someone enplane how to update a headless windows server with out having to download the new zip file every time?

Lalkin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Lalkin »

jpwanabe wrote:Can someone enplane how to update a headless windows server with out having to download the new zip file every time?
I have not found a way to do this automatically. It would be very nice if we had a couple of command line options to do so. Maybe --update-version and --update-mods.

Jj250
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Jj250 »

Lalkin wrote:I have found resource generation to be fine.

On the maps I've made since 13.0 (about half a dozen) I've had some of all the resources nearby and then with just a little exploration I can find more. I like having things a bit more spaced out. Trains are more useful and you have to play with the biters some.

If you don't want to have to explore bump up the resource amount when you make a world.

While there may be tweaks with the map generation the devs feel needed it is not currently broken like some people are implying.
It is actually quite broken, see attachment and related threads:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=27199
viewtopic.php?f=182&t=27521

That said, I understand there are more urgent bugs that will crash the game and that's fine, but I will not be playing Factorio until .13 Terrain Segmentation issues are resolved.

So the clear square you see in the middle of this attachment is where .12 map generation was used. The outer square with all the biters was generated with .13, hence the awful splotches of biome.
Attachments
Example 1.jpg
Example 1.jpg (690.56 KiB) Viewed 6882 times

Tricorius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tricorius »

ausonny wrote: I can see why you might feel that way, except for those of us who play with water only in the starting area. That is completely broken.
I haven't tried "starting water only" yet in 13.x, however I have been playing with a Ringworld generated with 13.x. (All settings were default with the exception of height: 150.)

I'm not thrilled with that mess over there in the east (I daresay the water algorithm might benefit from additional tweaking), but maybe I can find enough stone patches to take good care of it. ;)
Overview
The starting resources are reasonable. There does seem to be a bit less oil on normal settings than I'd like to see. That said, a challenge is good, and I'm assume that oil patch in the west is better than the one in the starting area.
Starting_Area
East
West
It may be a very short experiment if I run into a flood in the west as well, but so be it. Overall I like the modifications to the terrain generator. I like being encouraged to run lines for resources. (Although I understand some don't particularly like that, so I'm quite happy with the multitude of generation options given.)

ausonny
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ausonny »

Tricorius wrote:
ausonny wrote: I can see why you might feel that way, except for those of us who play with water only in the starting area. That is completely broken.
I haven't tried "starting water only" yet in 13.x, however I have been playing with a Ringworld generated with 13.x. (All settings were default with the exception of height: 150.)

I'm not thrilled with that mess over there in the east (I daresay the water algorithm might benefit from additional tweaking), but maybe I can find enough stone patches to take good care of it. ;)
Overview
The starting resources are reasonable. There does seem to be a bit less oil on normal settings than I'd like to see. That said, a challenge is good, and I'm assume that oil patch in the west is better than the one in the starting area.
Starting_Area
East
West
It may be a very short experiment if I run into a flood in the west as well, but so be it. Overall I like the modifications to the terrain generator. I like being encouraged to run lines for resources. (Although I understand some don't particularly like that, so I'm quite happy with the multitude of generation options given.)

Again, that may all be fine, I don't know. I play starting area only, and there is water everywhere, no matter how far you walk. It's broken, so I am unable to play in the way I like to play, so I'm waiting on the fix to play .13.

Tricorius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tricorius »

ausonny wrote:Again, that may all be fine, I don't know. I play starting area only, and there is water everywhere, no matter how far you walk. It's broken, so I am unable to play in the way I like to play, so I'm waiting on the fix to play .13.
I wasn't disagreeing. I'm reasonably certain the water algorithm could be tweaked. It feels very segmented. Except for when it splashes a gigantic lake through the entirety of your map (in fairness, though, I'm using settings that don't make much sense, but are fun to play, so I'm not complaining, per se).

lingnau
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lingnau »

SQLek wrote:World gen works for me. Maybe the problem isn't that it is "not working" but that it "works different"?

Me too, no issues whatsoever. Not with terrain generation or anything else, it's still fun and enjoyable, the new rail planner also makes it easier/faster to expand your rail network(s) and get resource from far away. But it's understandable that most people are afraid of and against changes in general.
_________
Whatever I said is not legally binding.

DeadManWalking
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DeadManWalking »

I haven't tried the flame throwers yet because all I have is Lube. Isn't Lube just as flammable as the other fluids?

-Dead

p.s. the in game mod updates rocks

Unoxxis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Unoxxis »

Jj250 wrote:
Lalkin wrote:I have found resource generation to be fine.

It is actually quite broken, see attachment and related threads:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=27199
viewtopic.php?f=182&t=27521

That said, I understand there are more urgent bugs that will crash the game and that's fine, but I will not be playing Factorio until .13 Terrain Segmentation issues are resolved.

So the clear square you see in the middle of this attachment is where .12 map generation was used. The outer square with all the biters was generated with .13, hence the awful splotches of biome.
I don't think that it is "quite" broken. This picture shows it pretty well to me: The map in the middle (the .12 one) looks extremely boring and unrealistic to me, while the outer map (.13) looks much more realisitc, especially regarding the water generation. Therefore I do not think you should call this a "bug" or "broken", because it is obviously a matter of taste. Some members of the community like the change and some do not. It's not broken, it's a design decision that some people personally don't like.

That aside, if there is a decent chance that there are not all of the ressources in the starting area to get you a decent start - that is a bug.
What might also be a bug (or insufficiant tuning of the algorithm) is the fact that some of the terrain generation settings have a far too weak effects (if any?) on map generation.

Return to “Releases”