Version 0.13.4

Information about releases and roadmap.
Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Version 0.13.4

Post by Zeblote »

Optera wrote:The list of Bugfixes keeps getting shorter, seems like a good sign for 0.13 becoming stable.
Sure hope it doesn't take 20 releases this time :D

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Zeblote wrote:
Optera wrote:The list of Bugfixes keeps getting shorter, seems like a good sign for 0.13 becoming stable.
Sure hope it doesn't take 20 releases this time :D
That would be a huge improvement compared to the last version :)

lingnau
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lingnau »

Wow. Kudos development. I must admit that I haven't stumbled upon any bugs in 0.13 yet.
_________
Whatever I said is not legally binding.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Probably not, it's more of a sign that the simple bugs are getting rarer and the hard bugs are the next ones on the list

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

ratchetfreak wrote:
Probably not, it's more of a sign that the simple bugs are getting rarer and the hard bugs are the next ones on the list
And they call me a pessimist :lol:

TheTom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheTom »

It is not pessimism, it is realism. This is how you develop software - go for low hanging fruits first.

I Just wish they fix landscape generation - then I move to 0.13

Hooch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hooch »

TheTom wrote:It is not pessimism, it is realism. This is how you develop software - go for low hanging fruits first.

When developing software you don't fix ALL easy bugs at once.
You leave few so that you can release fixes while you work on bigger bugs. This way client (or customers in our case) are happy that something is happening.
It doesn't speed anything at all. It just gives us impression that developer are not completly stuck with big bugs.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

Hooch wrote:
TheTom wrote:It is not pessimism, it is realism. This is how you develop software - go for low hanging fruits first.

When developing software you don't fix ALL easy bugs at once.
You leave few so that you can release fixes while you work on bigger bugs. This way client (or customers in our case) are happy that something is happening.
It doesn't speed anything at all. It just gives us impression that developer are not completly stuck with big bugs.
When developing software you fix the architectural problems first so you can skip fixing the easy bugs which won't apply anymore in the new architecture. "It's efficiency is OVER 100%!!!" :geek:

But yeah, keeping the customer happy by sprinkling with easy fixes (or reporting the fixes independently of the actual time you fixed them) is not to be neglected.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

TheTom wrote:I Just wish they fix landscape generation - then I move to 0.13
Currently i generate games in 12.35 with RSO, then port it to 13 to play.

CureSafaia
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CureSafaia »

My friend and I were annoyed by that desync loop bug, you fixed it quickly !
This game is awesome

BlackKnight
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BlackKnight »

EDIT *moved to new topic under bugs as found other issues on the mod portal*
Last edited by BlackKnight on Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrGrim
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrGrim »

Optera wrote:
TheTom wrote:I Just wish they fix landscape generation - then I move to 0.13
Currently i generate games in 12.35 with RSO, then port it to 13 to play.
I'm doing that with my current 0.12 save, but to do so I had to chart a very large portion of the map, 4096x4096 chunks, and I'm hoping that I won't have to explore outside of that area. It severely bloated my save (expected). I also enjoy exploration; pushing against biters and installing fortified radar outposts in the hope that maybe there's some oil out this way. The generate on 0.12 and play on 0.13 strategy removes that aspect by necessity.

RichyNZ
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RichyNZ »

Am I the only one that doesn't mind the terrain generation? It's certainly shaken up a bit, but I find that interesting. It seems to have accomplished the goal they set out for; low levels of resources near spawn encourage you to expand more and use trains as resources are richer further away. I'm certainly finding it fun. Yes sometimes you have to regen a few times to find a map in which spawn has everything... but I also had to do that sometimes on 0.12. If you're not happy, simply put the richness/size/frequency up by one.
And regarding the "annoying lakes"... in a game that has landfill but no boreholes, surely this is a good thing? You'll always have water around but you can irretrievably cover it up if you so desire.
Yes I can definitely see that there is room for improvement; some way to guarantee at least a little bit of each resource close by. However on the whole I think it's going in a pretty good direction with a healthy amount of variety and hardly the game-breaking problem being complained about.
I should note, I play with spawn area size upped by one because yes sometimes you do have to walk a little further for one of your mines...

MrGrim
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrGrim »

RichyNZ wrote:Am I the only one that doesn't mind the terrain generation? It's certainly shaken up a bit, but I find that interesting. It seems to have accomplished the goal they set out for; low levels of resources near spawn encourage you to expand more and use trains as resources are richer further away. I'm certainly finding it fun. Yes sometimes you have to regen a few times to find a map in which spawn has everything... but I also had to do that sometimes on 0.12. If you're not happy, simply put the richness/size/frequency up by one.
And regarding the "annoying lakes"... in a game that has landfill but no boreholes, surely this is a good thing? You'll always have water around but you can irretrievably cover it up if you so desire.
Yes I can definitely see that there is room for improvement; some way to guarantee at least a little bit of each resource close by. However on the whole I think it's going in a pretty good direction with a healthy amount of variety and hardly the game-breaking problem being complained about.
I should note, I play with spawn area size upped by one because yes sometimes you do have to walk a little further for one of your mines...
Most of the complaints about terrain are regarding the visual quality and apparent lack of effect of the "terrain segmentation" option. There is a large group of people that care so little about that that they are utterly confused over those that do. :) There are also reports of missing initial resources and of ponds all over when selecting water only in starting area, but that terrain segmentation is very distracting. I'll attach a picture that I used to open a topic on it that shows the difference quite well.
0.12 vs 0.13 Terrain

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

MrGrim wrote: I'll attach a picture that I used to open a topic on it that shows the difference quite well.
0.12 vs 0.13 Terrain
This is a really nice world. Was that created in 0.13 or ported over from 0.12?
All I got in in 0.13 so far are swamp like areas. No connected large lakes and biomes.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Optera wrote:
MrGrim wrote: I'll attach a picture that I used to open a topic on it that shows the difference quite well.
0.12 vs 0.13 Terrain
This is a really nice world. Was that created in 0.13 or ported over from 0.12?
All I got in in 0.13 so far are swamp like areas. No connected large lakes and biomes.
Nice middle part is old world - you can see where it changes to be a new one by finding "seams".

gantrisch
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by gantrisch »

At first: Great game, many thanks to the devs. But like many others I would like, that you thnk about the map generation. To distribute the resources like the RSO Mod is a good thing, but the map generation in 13 is going wrong. Getting water all over the map when clicking on water only in the starting aerea is a bug. You need tons of stones to fill up all these ponds so this is no real solution. Also annoying are these very dense forests. Starting in a forest with my little pickaxe is working not playing. Shooting them down later also is no fun at all.

CureSafaia
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CureSafaia »

gantrisch wrote: Also annoying are these very dense forests. Starting in a forest with my little pickaxe is working not playing. Shooting them down later also is no fun at all.
Well, later you can also burn them down by starting a fire too !
This game is awesome

h4d214n
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by h4d214n »

I bought Factorio last week via GOG, and the experimantal branch they provide seems to be slightly behind. It seems I can't get past 13.0. ie, no 13.1, 13.2..

Does someone know, if there is a way how to update to the latest build?

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

CureSafaia wrote:
gantrisch wrote: Also annoying are these very dense forests. Starting in a forest with my little pickaxe is working not playing. Shooting them down later also is no fun at all.
Well, later you can also burn them down by starting a fire too !
I seen no problem with the forest at all as there are many ways to get rid and even automated way to lay tracks unhindered by trees. That there are maps created under 0.13 where one raw material is completely missing was never the case in the 0.12 area thought.

Return to “Releases”