Version 0.13.3

Information about releases and roadmap.
HulkingUnicorn
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Version 0.13.3

Post by HulkingUnicorn »

Escadin wrote:[...]Researching personal logistic slots should provide a checkbox with which you can toggle yourself to act as a storage chest for the entire logistic network in reach.[...]
I don't understand why you would want that. As in, you'd start receiving "surplus" ore or anything you've dumped in an active provider (unless it's already moved to a storage chest, of course)?

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

HulkingUnicorn wrote:
Escadin wrote:[...]Researching personal logistic slots should provide a checkbox with which you can toggle yourself to act as a storage chest for the entire logistic network in reach.[...]
I don't understand why you would want that. As in, you'd start receiving "surplus" ore or anything you've dumped in an active provider (unless it's already moved to a storage chest, of course)?
The other way around is much more useful. For example, with the box checked base construction bots can take stuff out of my inventory to place it, if it was not found in any other chest.

Quite often my bots are completely useless because the thing that needs to be placed or replaced is so rare that I don't have it produced automatically, and just keep 3 or 4 in my inventory.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Zeblote wrote:
HulkingUnicorn wrote:
The other way around is much more useful. For example, with the box checked base construction bots can take stuff out of my inventory to place it, if it was not found in any other chest.

Quite often my bots are completely useless because the thing that needs to be placed or replaced is so rare that I don't have it produced automatically, and just keep 3 or 4 in my inventory.
I use personal roboports for exactly that reason?

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

Optera wrote:
Zeblote wrote:
HulkingUnicorn wrote:

Personal roboports won't do that.
What he means is, if you have a requester chest asking for green circuits, and you don't have any storage/provider chests with them...then they'll take them from your inventory to fill it up.

It could be useful if you do that for ammo, run to an outpost with your inventory full of it, and the requester chests will pull from your inventory.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Optera wrote:
Zeblote wrote:
HulkingUnicorn wrote:

Personal roboport only does that in a short range, but the normal bots can go all over the base to get items and then go all the way back to place it without having to walk there.
PiggyWhiskey wrote:
Optera wrote:
Zeblote wrote:
HulkingUnicorn wrote:

Personal roboports won't do that.
What he means is, if you have a requester chest asking for green circuits, and you don't have any storage/provider chests with them...then they'll take them from your inventory to fill it up.

It could be useful if you do that for ammo, run to an outpost with your inventory full of it, and the requester chests will pull from your inventory.
I'm not sure about that... if you have a requester chest set up then you probably have the item produced already. Doing that would instantly drain your inventory if you get a temporary shortage of the item.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Zeblote wrote:
I'm not sure about that... if you have a requester chest set up then you probably have the item produced already. Doing that would instantly drain your inventory if you get a temporary shortage of the item.
I think I see the problem here as I have met it myself. Its not about being provider for any kind of logistic bots/chests. Its about being provider for construction bots within network. If you place a shadow within logistic network construction bots will fail if required structures are not stored in the network (storage or provider chests) but you most likely manually created required things. Unlike personal roboport's construction bots network bots can't access your inventory. So construction bots fail to place structures as they can't access your personal inventory even if you are within network reach so you have to drop them into storage chest for them to finish their job.

HulkingUnicorn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HulkingUnicorn »

Zeblote wrote:The other way around is much more useful. For example, with the box checked base construction bots can take stuff out of my inventory to place it, if it was not found in any other chest.

Sounds like you actually want it to act like a passive provider chest with low priority then. Storage chests both receive and supply, after all. Having it act like a regular passive provider wouldn't be ideal either, especially if you want it to be available only for construction bots.

RichyNZ
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RichyNZ »

Zeblote wrote:

I think you'll find that the logistic trash slots do this fine, without always worrying about robots constantly nicking stuff you wanted to keep and use yourself.
For instance, if I place down a blueprint of a train station, I assume that everything needed is being produced by my factory except for the train stop itself. I build that by hand and chuck it in my trash slot. It very quickly finds its way to the spot on the blueprint.

Return to “Releases”