Version 0.9.0

Information about releases and roadmap.
Amaror
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Version 0.9.0

Post by Amaror »

Is it just me or is the World generation kind of messed up.
When i give him my parameters he doesn't seem to register my size settings properly.
Even when i set everything to very big i end up with iron and copper patches just large enough for a single drill.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Amaror wrote:Is it just me or is the World generation kind of messed up.
When i give him my parameters he doesn't seem to register my size settings properly.
Even when i set everything to very big i end up with iron and copper patches just large enough for a single drill.
It seems to be messed up :/ We will have a look at it for the bugfix release.

Marqee
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Marqee »

Tardan wrote:
Marqee wrote:Maybe i'm blind , but i cannot find how to craft "explosives" , that are needed to craft "missiles"
You start with a new game or reload a old 0.8.x game? i have the same problem: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=7&t=2346

normal it is left from the battery in the crafting menu.
Loaded a saved one....
and the "explosives" are not present on the chemical plant i can craft only ammos for flamethrower

Spider
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Spider »

Amaror wrote:Is it just me or is the World generation kind of messed up.

I get trees everywhere. It's like i crashed on a tree planet.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Marqee wrote:
Tardan wrote:
Marqee wrote:Maybe i'm blind , but i cannot find how to craft "explosives" , that are needed to craft "missiles"
You start with a new game or reload a old 0.8.x game? i have the same problem: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=7&t=2346

normal it is left from the battery in the crafting menu.
Loaded a saved one....
and the "explosives" are not present on the chemical plant i can craft only ammos for flamethrower
Sorry about this one. It is a bug that will be solved for the 0.9.1. Also there is a simple workaround. Check https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =30&t=2346

Phantasm
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Phantasm »

There sure are a lot of trees. I'm by no means against of that, but most forests should be not too thick so you could walk past em. And it would be nice if trees a bit avoided mineral areas. So you won't need to destroy so many trees to get in some mining. After all, mining spots should be quite rocky and not that good for forest.

The fluid system also really needs overflow valve. That is, you could set it to say 8.0 level that it would only let fluid past after that level is reached. It shouldn't need anything that special to be made. It could be just a simple pressure valve that would work for both liquid and gas. This would allow prioritizing actual production while still being able to easily use any excess for solid fuel. Given as refinery won't work if any of the outputs is full.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Phantasm wrote:There sure are a lot of trees. I'm by no means against of that, but most forests should be not too thick so you could walk past em. And it would be nice if trees a bit avoided mineral areas. So you won't need to destroy so many trees to get in some mining. After all, mining spots should be quite rocky and not that good for forest.

The fluid system also really needs overflow valve. That is, you could set it to say 8.0 level that it would only let fluid past after that level is reached. It shouldn't need anything that special to be made. It could be just a simple pressure valve that would work for both liquid and gas. This would allow prioritizing actual production while still being able to easily use any excess for solid fuel. Given as refinery won't work if any of the outputs is full.
I believe that you can do this with the current pumps. You can just connect pump to the refinery part, and when the solid fuel production is after the pump T section, something should get there only when the pump can't work -> The storage part is full.

It is like transport belt and fast inserters, when you put few of them (4? ) to get things away, you can use the rest when the target of in inserters is fullfilled.

aussiegaylord
Inserter
Inserter

Post by aussiegaylord »

so far i have found no problems with the new world gen. though i haven't played it long due to school my first world gen had all the resources in it within 3 chunks of one another, caol, iron, copper, and oil are abundant near me. though it is tricky trying to be conservative to going for the solar approach i will get their

Phantasm
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Phantasm »

kovarex wrote:I believe that you can do this with the current pumps. You can just connect pump to the refinery part, and when the solid fuel production is after the pump T section, something should get there only when the pump can't work -> The storage part is full.
That might work sure. But pumps need engines and are thus somewhat more advanced and complex design needing electricity etc. Such overflow valve is very low tech and would be very easy to manufacture IRL.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

My expirience with Factorio 0.9.0 so far:

1. Map generation is a bit screwed.
For instance I tend to use a bit lower map segmentation to get enough place to build larger factories without problem. So this and introduction of biomes ended up in some strange map generations like roughly circular shaped island in the midle of the ocean. Size of this island sems to be directly afected by starting area size setting. So my gues is that sometimes game puts you in the middle of ocean biome.
Also expirienced some dificulties about ore distribution (not all ores present near starting location).
I must say that I like forest generation quite a lot. It is true that it might be anoying sometimes as the forest is limiting your movment but the shape in which the forest is usualy generated seems quite realistic. Not to mention that forest now look much better now when new trees were introduced.
I would only suggest that maybe you place some darker (brownish) ground tiles underneath the larger forests. Would look nicer when you go chop down entire forest as darker (brownish) ground tiles would be showing where forest used to be.

2. As others have already mentioned I was a bit surprised that you have to craft certain items in Chemical plant. As a developer myself I suspect that you have done this in order to avoid breaking existing Assembly machines but from the gamer point of view it seems realy strange.

3. Also I would like to be able to chose which liquid input/output is for which liquid. Currently it is quite hard to place several Refineries near each other to speed up the process (large web of pipes crossing each other).

4. I'm expiriencing some performance isues when seeing large forests zoomed out (FPS goes down to 10). I suspect this is due to larger number of trees and their shadows (lots of rendering cals to graphical engine) which cause my GPU to work overtime.
I belive you could squeze up some more performance by grouping the drawings (rendering shadows for one tree type first, and then for the next). This would reduce the number of graphical memory operations.

That is it for now.
Nice notion is that so far I haven't found any serious bugs.
Only found some miner ones about item descriptions which have already been reported by other pepole.

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

Sorry, why did I make this post? Please remove it I cant remove it because it isnt the last post.
Last edited by ficolas on Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Love this update!!

bug: I just started a new game and spawned on a small island. 1X1 SMALL :)

Candunc
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Candunc »

After debugging this release, can you work on multiplayer? Many of my friends have tried the demo and liked the concept, but they'd rather buy it when multiplayer comes out.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Added warning before the blueprint-in-quickbar-save-corrupting-bug to the known issues in the OP.

Narnach
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Narnach »

I've played only an hour or two so far, but I like what I see. The huge forests with the different trees are pretty, even though the thin dark green tree is a little too dark - I keep mistaking it for a shadow. I actually like the huge forests because they absorb pollution, so in the early game they effectively keep the biters away from me.

The size of resource fields can be a little uneven, but that's part of the fun for me. On my map I started with about 1000 copper in a small field, 1000 coal nearby and over 10k iron in a medium field and an even larger iron field slightly south of that. Exploring nearby chunks revealed two large fields with copper and coal. Having small patches in the early game forced me to expand early and not turtle up in my starter zone.

Haven't unlocked oil tech yet, but I do like the change to the tech 2 (green) bottles. Requiring inserters instead of green chips forces you to unlock assembly 2 to make them, so you need to setup a slightly more elaborate factory for this. To me that's a better preparation for tech 3, because the jump from tech 2 to tech 3 always felt a little big. Good idea to spread the tech curve a little more even this way.
Identity is cheap, reputation is priceless.

Let's Player over at https://youtube.com/narnach

crazybmanp
Inserter
Inserter

Post by crazybmanp »

Narnach wrote:~snip~
The huge forests with the different trees are pretty, even though the thin dark green tree is a little too dark - I keep mistaking it for a shadow. I actually like the huge forests because they absorb pollution, so in the early game they effectively keep the biters away from me.
~snip~
i wonder... tree planting? that might be an interesting feature.

darius456
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by darius456 »

crazybmanp wrote:
Narnach wrote:~snip~
The huge forests with the different trees are pretty, even though the thin dark green tree is a little too dark - I keep mistaking it for a shadow. I actually like the huge forests because they absorb pollution, so in the early game they effectively keep the biters away from me.
~snip~
i wonder... tree planting? that might be an interesting feature.
Did you see "Tree Farm Mod"?? Tree planting Is present there.
Lenovo Y580 8GB Ram GF660m 128GB SSD W7

Noro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Noro »

I second that you have to move plastics production to light oil.
Also there should be possibility to produce petroleum gas from the coal, as it done in real life.

MaxStrategy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MaxStrategy »

Noro wrote:I second that you have to move plastics production to light oil.
Also there should be possibility to produce petroleum gas from the coal, as it done in real life.

I agree, light oil is not used for much atm anyways unless there are a lot of plans already in the works :)

LoSboccacc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LoSboccacc »

Is it possible to get trough modding other resources to dwindle like oil instead of disappearing completely?

Return to “Releases”