Version 0.12.22

Information about releases and roadmap.
Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Version 0.12.22

Post by Zeblote »

kovarex wrote:
gacek wrote:Hey, Anyone know, if there is any ETA of 0.13? Will it be this month or in 3 months? ;)
We don't have any, the graphics part of some of the tasks will begin after the steam release, so the estimate is between 1 and 3 months after the steam release.
Why don't you make smaller releases, adding each feature as it gets completed? Space engineers does this (weekly releases with new stuff) and everyone is happy.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Zeblote wrote:
kovarex wrote:
gacek wrote:Hey, Anyone know, if there is any ETA of 0.13? Will it be this month or in 3 months? ;)
We don't have any, the graphics part of some of the tasks will begin after the steam release, so the estimate is between 1 and 3 months after the steam release.
Why don't you make smaller releases, adding each feature as it gets completed? Space engineers does this (weekly releases with new stuff) and everyone is happy.
Lately I read, that some features relesed to Space Engineers wasnt the hits they thought of :D

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Phillip_Lynx wrote:
Zeblote wrote:
kovarex wrote:
Lately I read, that some features relesed to Space Engineers wasnt the hits they thought of :D
Well of course you can't have great new features done every week, but it's still a lot better than waiting for 3 months.

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

Phillip_Lynx wrote: Lately I read, that some features relesed to Space Engineers wasnt the hits they thought of :D
That is one big advantage of releasing early and often. If something doesn't work out as planned you get feedback and can keep your investment low.

While big features like the space platform *cough* or the rail laying still need big overhauls and take their time until the first version is ready, smaller changes like the circuit breaker *blink* or the spider-thingy could be introduced independently.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

It would be close to impossible to get a stable version with this cycle.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

kovarex wrote:It would be close to impossible to get a stable version with this cycle.
You mean crazy stable version. :D

Anyway, I have a higher tolerance for bugs if that means more releases more often to feed my factorio addiction.

Also, I want moar API!

I am prideful of my ability to hack around the limitation of the API, like writing code to control a car and defuel the car. But it doesn't mean I have to like it.

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

Like Space Engineers ? Hmm I've been hanging out on their forums, and it seemed to me people were angry to get game breaking bugs with every new functionnality, and they seemed to demand more stable releases.

My personal view : if I love so much Factorio (I play since 0.9), it's partly because its stability, and the fact that every new feature was complete and working when released.

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

kovarex wrote:It would be close to impossible to get a stable version with this cycle.
I think you misunderstood a bit. I'm not talking about the bugfix releases - those would still be necessary and acceptable. What I'm talking about is the long waiting period between the last stable release and the next feature release. There are so many cool features for 0.13 that we cannot even consume them all at once. Many of those are additive and could be enabled one by one.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Prison Architect did every month a new feature update, they obviously had to effectively stop bug fixing to keep the schedule. After game breaking bugs carried over six versions and over 6000 open bugs I gave up on it.
Never the less I think we are ready for an actual experimental version and don't see a real argument for releasing 0.13 after the steam release.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Loewchen wrote:
Prison Architect did every month a new feature update, they obviously had to effectively stop bug fixing to keep the schedule. After game breaking bugs carried over six versions and over 6000 open bugs I gave up on it.
Never the less I think we are ready for an actual experimental version and don't see a real argument for releasing 0.13 after the steam release.
They did a few bug bash months to bring that number down (and I believe there were a lot of dupelicates) and have a stable 1.0 version out now.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

Loewchen wrote:
Firefox and other browsers did rolling releases. I don't notice bugs.(or maybe I am just very forgiving)

They're obviously doing something right.

Maybe it required more infrastructure, say, a mechanism for fizz fuzzing the game until it crashes. Or maybe it requires more discipline, like writing repeatable test first, then write the game feature.

gacek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gacek »

You won't be able to satisfy all users. If releases were more frequent and buggy, forum would be flooded with bugs that devs are aware. I doubt people woll roll back to previus version to play bugfree and would be frustrated. I'm also developer and work with my clients, and it's not as easy as to say: "Hey, this version is buggy, downgrade and wait". They rage on forums, they whine and are not pleased. From my experience it's almost always better to release later nad more stable (one exception i saw was Castle story, where waiting time for patch was very long). It's a matter of balance.

Factorio releases are good (of course i want them asap) but if quality were to suffer and people would get frustrated... then I can wait.

Hamster
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Hamster »

In Steam there are multiple branches.
It would be possible to have the main branch as the stable version, and have a BETA option - the users can select it - to get the experimental versions.

Bartimaeus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bartimaeus »

The main difference between Factorio and SE for me is that SE through steam kind of enforces new updates (and I dont think I have beta updates enabled) ... Factorio as it is now ... allows you to try new version ... test if it works for your older saves and then keep using it or just rollback to the previous stable version quite easily ... I really dont know how to do that for SE at the moment but I am not an expert.... so what I want to say is that factorio as it's updating works now would be much more forgiving and easy to roll back when compared to SE but I dont know if after Steam release that ability would not get damaged ... Its really complicated to manipulate with any game files that are installed through steam ... rather than just unzipped to any location like Factorio

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

Bartimaeus wrote:The main difference between Factorio and SE for me is that SE through steam kind of enforces new updates (and I dont think I have beta updates enabled) ... Factorio as it is now ... allows you to try new version ... test if it works for your older saves and then keep using it or just rollback to the previous stable version quite easily ... I really dont know how to do that for SE at the moment but I am not an expert.... so what I want to say is that factorio as it's updating works now would be much more forgiving and easy to roll back when compared to SE but I dont know if after Steam release that ability would not get damaged ... Its really complicated to manipulate with any game files that are installed through steam ... rather than just unzipped to any location like Factorio
There is a way for SE in Steam to stay on a version - go to the game settings and in updates you will find an option to set the game to specific version or to allow continues updates.

This is also relevant to Factorio coming to Steam - if the developers wish, they can enable this to allow new comers to stay with a stable version (since, unlike SE they have one :x ) and allow us, the bata testers to continue to help root out bugs and generaly improve this amazing game :ugeek:
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

Gouada
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Gouada »

Why don't the devs stay how they are currently and release as they feel it's stable... However, instead of having large patches separated by periods of inactivity, add the features individually as they're ready. I'm suggesting to do without the forced schedule which has hurt other games, but instead of forcing us to wait for these large updates put out small, stable tidbits to keep us entertained ;)
No, I'm not a piece of cheese! :D

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I think its easier if you have a one or two person team to work on only one thing. As the dev team grows, you just can't have everyone work on the same thing. So you make a release at least when the changes everyone works on are complete ... but then if you change something here, there is probably something else over there that needs to be txeaked ... and so on and so on.

It's like changing a wheel from 17" to 20" on your car. You can't change only one. You have to change them all at once.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Gouada wrote:Why don't the devs stay how they are currently and release as they feel it's stable... However, instead of having large patches separated by periods of inactivity, add the features individually as they're ready. I'm suggesting to do without the forced schedule which has hurt other games, but instead of forcing us to wait for these large updates put out small, stable tidbits to keep us entertained ;)
They already do that so. The new release process enables them to deploy within some hours.

The last updates where just bug fixes and 0.13 isn't finished/stable enough yet. Some devs say, 0.13 will have more version numbers than 0.12, cause of the working release process now.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Ojelle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ojelle »

Smarty wrote:
Weresmilodon wrote:
Oxyd wrote:
Weresmilodon wrote:I keep getting notifications in my mail about updates to various threads, and then not finding anything new posted. I've had several for this thread now.

Is it safe to assume it's just spam getting deleted before i see it? Or are you doing something to the forums code?
I just deleted a spam post to this thread, so if you got a notification for this topic, that's likely it.
I guessed as much. Are they getting more common? I feel like I've gotten more then usual such notifications lately.
common? you are kidding me? its getting annoying
daniel34 wrote:I made some statics with data I gathered from the moderator logs:

Code: Select all

Number of banned users by month (each user only counted on first ban):
Dec 2014    4
Jan 2015    6
Feb 2015    5
Mar 2015    1
Apr 2015   40
May 2015   44
Jun 2015   57
Jul 2015   70
Aug 2015  107
Sep 2015  152
Oct 2015  144
Nov 2015  220
Dec 2015  195
Jan 2016  254 <-- as of Jan 15, 13:00
This January is already the month with the most banned users, and we're not even halfway through.
average is 17 spambots every day
Can we get an update on this :P
Choumiko wrote:
sillyfly wrote:kovarex just posted the thread... but with #118 in the title. I think they had too much beer :D
It's a wonder how good the game is, if you consider how bad they are with the FFF numbers :mrgreen:

Return to “Releases”